• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop AKG K7XX

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Once again, Massdrop is offering the AKG K7XXX, which seems to come up every 3 months or so:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

I have a pair of these and have owned them for, I think, about a year now if memory serves me right.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. But, in a nutshell, if you like the classic, neutral AKG "monitor" sound, these are a great "mashup" of some of the best features from several different headphones in the 7-series line at a really good price.

On the other hand, if you prefer the sound of Beats by Dre, you probably won't like these.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am confused who massdrop is. It is asking me to login before showing me anything in the above link. Is it a buying group?

It's free to join.

Massdrop basically coordinates group buys of goods directly from makers. Or, in the case of the 7XX, commissions a custom product according to the specs of the group.

denydog

Just noticed the other day that the clear tab on one side of my AKG K701 is broken, though I don't notice it in use.

This thread reminds me that I did see the AKG 7XX on massdrop some time ago. If the 7XX sounds anything like the 701, I'd probably like them. watchnerd, are you in a position to comment on how the sound might differ between 7XX and 701?

FYI, I purchased an SMSL M8 DAC on massdrop for a great price last year. The purchasing experience was fine, and the DAC sounds good in my outdoor setup.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
watchnerd, are you in a position to comment on how the sound might differ between 7XX and 701?

Yes, I can. I also own the K701 (and, FWIW, I also had one of the plastic tab break on the 701 on one side, too).

The 7XX are basically mashup of different K/Q7-series parts, basically an all black version of the K702 65th anniversary, which means it has the Q701 divers (a bit more bass than the K701), the much better earpads from the K712 pro.

Overall, the K7XX retain the same character from the mids on up as the K701, but have a bit more bass, are more comfortable, and have a removable cord.

denydog

Thanks for the info. With the current massdrop price (a few dollars less than I paid for K701 in 2009) the K7XX is hard to resist. BTW, I read recently that AKG have moved some production to Asia since my K701, which are from Austria.

I remember at the time AKG K701 were very controversial at head-fi for a lack of bass. I didn't agree, preferring what I felt was a more natural balanced sound, but a touch more bass should be OK. I use Etymotic SR4s IEMs which are also considered lean sounding, so I know my preference.

I tried a set of Abyss phones at RMAF a couple of years ago, and felt like I was inside a subwoofer by comparison. It had a certain appeal, but I didn't think it was a very realistic balance.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
K7xx sound amazing. One of these "relisten ur audio collection" phones. But some retainer broke and they are sogging on my ears. Build is so-so. I still use them for audio and games with positional awareness.

Grave

These sound terrible to me. These have way too much treble.

Tene

Yeah that's the difference. In the US the K712 is at least $400 if not imported. AKG and Beyer are known to be more expensive there while for example Audio-Technica is at least twice as expensive in Europe compared to the rest of the world.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No doubt about it, in Europe you're much better off buying the K712.

Top Bottom