• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop Airist R2R DAC Review

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I have this DAC and I like what it adds to my setup. After reading this review I now know it's about the distortion it adds to the output.
That's the tricky thing man; the audio enjoyment for you is there which is the ultimate aim, but then it's actual coloration and distortion.

Martin Takamine

That's the tricky thing man; the audio enjoyment for you is there which is the ultimate aim, but then it's actual coloration and distortion.
Regarding coloration and distortion, I listen to Rock, Metal, and Pop and I know all those songs would be different if all the electric guitars were played "clean". And as you pointed out it's about enjoying the music. I also have a Topping D70 and the A-S801 and VSX-1131 internal DACs and I enjoy all the music output from those DACs.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Zeos is a total imbecile. I don't expect anything from that guy; I unsubscribed from the YouTube channel months ago.

Careful Luke - try to attack the actions and words, not the person.

I attempt - with a fair amount of, but not complete success - to minimize the mentioning of politics and political figures, as well as personal attacks, here at ASR. However, the sophomoric, childish, inarticulate,random and uncoordinated presentations by Zeos wouldn't get a passing grade in a 6th grade show and tell. (Note that I disparaged the actions (his
presentations) and not the person).

Zeos is obviously trying - successfully - to reach the least sophisticated segment of the audio enthusiast audience, a group that appears to despise literacy and coherent communication. But his messaging is as bogus as those of the articulate and sophisticated proponents of audiophoolery and snake oil.

OTOH, I have stumbled across inarticulate and unsophisticated gaming hardware reviews by young enthusiasts whose presentation is just as bad, but who appear to know the technology and software. With them, my attitude is that they are a bunch of awkward young gamer nerds, but so what? Go for it and have fun. Even I occasionally get asked "are you a computer nerd" and I laugh and answer "yes." Luckily, I have managed to climb up the ladder of education and sophistication a bit and hope I come across as reasonably articulate.

I certainly qualify according to the dictionary definition as audiophile, but I m definitely NOT a pretentious and sneering audiophile "snob." (Interesting aside - Merriam-Webster says that the first known use of the word "audiophile" was in 1951)

Audiophile.jpg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It sounds like a typical 'I know more / better than the rest of you' type of guy.

I'd gladly add an 'IMO' if it makes you happy? ;)

For a long time (before I even found this forum) I was genuinely interested in buying a Soekris DAC and I was intrigued by the discrete R2R design. But every single claim I found in my subsequent research regarding its superiority was hypothetical.

That's what I'm basing my statement on. Give me a hard piece of evidence that contradicts it, and I'll eat my words.

No disrespect to Soekris. His work is still impressive.. in the same way as an intricate miniature steam engines is it. I just don't see the point of it. Other than as an engineering exercise.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this DAC and I like what it adds to my setup. After reading this review I now know it's about the distortion it adds to the output.

Congratulations on your attitude! This is what sets you apart from the pack. You made a subjective decision that you liked something, and don't get angry when it doesn't measure well.

raif71

Major Contributor
Regarding coloration and distortion, I listen to Rock, Metal, and Pop and I know all those songs would be different if all the electric guitars were played "clean". And as you pointed out it's about enjoying the music. I also have a Topping D70 and the A-S801 and VSX-1131 internal DACs and I enjoy all the music output from those DACs.

Ignorance is bliss but knowing that it is caused by distortion and coloration and still be able to enjoy it, why not? :). Measurements may be a necessity for a fine product but look at Radsone ES100 reviewed recently, some don't like it even though it has decent measurements.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

For a long time (before I even found this forum) I was genuinely interested in buying a Soekris DAC and I was intrigued by the discrete R2R design. But every single claim I found in my subsequent research regarding its superiority was hypothetical.

That's what I'm basing my statement on. Give me a hard piece of evidence that contradicts it, and I'll eat my words.

No disrespect to Soekris. His work is still impressive.. in the same way as an intricate miniature steam engines is it. I just don't see the point of it. Other than as an engineering exercise.
Sorry, I've got no idea what you're talking about

Lotus97

Ignorance is bliss but knowing that it is caused by distortion and coloration and still be able to enjoy it, why not? :). Measurements may be a necessity for a fine product but look at Radsone ES100 reviewed recently, some don't like it even though it has decent measurements.
they didn't like it because it didn't have enough distortion?

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
More people than you think, multimeters are a couple of dollars these days.

The cost is inconsequential, I agree Jim.

My SWAG is that less then 1/5 people (or 1/5 components [source/pre-amp/amp/transducer] swap-ins) level check using even the most basic voltmeter); let alone level match.

Hence many people can be fooled by small differences in level.

Yes there as are engineering merits of 2V vs 4V (or even 8V) pre-outs, but that's not what they are doing. They're doing things that will result in fractions of dB (broadband) that are barely perceivable as louder, but in comparison testing will "sound better"

My interpretation from restorer-John’s post and general sentiment is that it yes- it becomes an arms race!

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I don't think that was directed at you. Read it again.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The cost is inconsequential, I agree Jim.

My SWAG is that less then 1/5 people (or 1/5 components [source/pre-amp/amp/transducer] swap-ins) level check using even the most basic voltmeter); let alone level match.

Hence many people can be fooled by small differences in level.

Yes there as are engineering merits of 2V vs 4V (or even 8V) pre-outs, but that's not what they are doing. They're doing things that will result in fractions of dB (broadband) that are barely perceivable as louder, but in comparison testing will "sound better"

My interpretation from restorer-John’s post and general sentiment is that it yes- it becomes an arms race!
Yes I try to level match with my ears first and if something doesn't sound right then I break out the multi-meter :)
I think that if you are doing proper testing, its really what is required. But as you also mentioned; people don't try to do this testing. They just use their emotion to believe that their new gear is better.

I never really thought about engineering something where the voltages would go up a bit dependant on scenario; to increase the placebo affect. I bet that is what is happening these days.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I don't think that was directed at you. Read it again.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that too. But I would like LuckyLuke575 to confirm it.
The original reply seemed a bit ambiguous to me, but for some reason (stress, tiredness?) I read it as a (mild) personal attack aimed at me.
I apologize for the confusion if it was never the case.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but record players are much, much worse than this DAC and plenty of enthusiasts like them too. It is the way it is.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Guess it gives more street credibility to say "We were inspired by TotalDAC" than "We made a crude copy of a product that was inspired by the Soekris DAC" :D

raif71

Major Contributor
they didn't like it because it didn't have enough distortion?
Perhaps it is harder and takes a bit of creativity with a zen touch to have just the right amount of distortion to give that extra warmth, fullness, spaciousness and oomph to the sound albeit a kink in measurements' excellence and accurateness. :p

Top Bottom