• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop Airist R2R DAC Review

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
It's missing the tube to help boost warmth...

Yes. Winter is approaching in the Northern Hemisphere, so it's time to break out our Class A amps and enjoy the warmth.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
What a shitshow.... So does MassDrop sell empty boxes so we can drop a $70 DAC card inside??? :)
This looks like it would fit ....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amanero-ES...d-Android-Cell-Phone-Pad-Laptop/254208594790?
1572034575488.png

This is my favorite line: "We try to describe products as precise and accurate as we can, You don't have to read awful 'Chinglish' and guess what they mean. "
Considering that the entire listing is in "chinglish" as they call it....

graz_lag

Major Contributor
As some of us might be aware, Japan is hosting the great 2019 Rugby World Cup.

The competition is entering into the last final week, we are going to have the semi-finals over this weekend.
In honor of this great sport event, @amirm it would be good if - for the forthcoming reviews of yours, you could replace the current set of soccer' / golf' Panthers with the Rugby ones ...
The final match will be played on Saturday-2nd of November ... then you can take the usual Panthers back on the scene ...

Thank you so much Sir!

Rugby-Pink-Panther.jpg

Last edited:

Zaki Ghul

What a shitshow.... So does MassDrop sell empty boxes so we can drop a $70 DAC card inside??? :)
This looks like it would fit ....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amanero-ES...d-Android-Cell-Phone-Pad-Laptop/254208594790?
There could be a business idea in there. What if the box was more than a box but also had an equalizer with audiofool presets. PSAudio can make them specifically for topping products so for $1000 you can color you perfectly measuring cold analitical DAC with the signature PSAudio sound.

gvl

Major Contributor
Someone really needs to send you a Denafrips R2R DAC! I want to see how this can be done right. I gotta fever, and the only prescription, is more R2R. :)

There were some Denafrips measurements on sbaf, they actually looked reasonable considering limitations of the approach. They did test the Airist R2R too with basically same conclusions as here.

MWeston

There were some Denafrips measurements on sbaf, they actually looked reasonable considering limitations of the approach. They did test the Airist R2R too with basically same conclusions as here.
Oh cool! Thanks for letting me know. I'll look it up for some comparisons!

I should add that everyone seems to do their measurements a little differently so I feel like one from ASR would be best so the same control conditions exist. I've also been a fan of this site for years! ;)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Someone really needs to send you a Denafrips R2R DAC! I want to see how this can be done right. I gotta fever, and the only prescription, is more R2R. :)

Looks like the stange love child of TotalDAC and Soekris :D

Both of those didn't do super well when Amirm tested them though... But they did "OK" I guess.

soekris

Yes, even as Massdrop claim otherwise, they copied their design from a chinese guy, see thread at:
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac/talk/2098625#imagecarousel
That chinese person actually got inspired from my dam1021 module launched in 2014, nothing wrong with getting inspired from other designs, I do that myself....
A fun detail, the designer from airist talked about they demoed their DAC in 2015, before the chinese design existed.... The only problem with that is that demo used one of my dam1021 modules :)

MWeston

Yes, even as Massdrop claim otherwise, they copied their design from a chinese guy, see thread at:
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac/talk/2098625#imagecarousel
That chinese person actually got inspired from my dam1021 module launched in 2014, nothing wrong with getting inspired from other designs, I do that myself....
A fun detail, the designer from airist talked about they demoed their DAC in 2015, before the chinese design existed.... The only problem with that is that demo used one of my dam1021 modules :)
Yeah, you are a true pioneer in the development of R2R designs, whereas these clowns on Massdrop are just thieves. Since they couldn't copy the FPGA logic, you can see how poorly it worked out. 10 engineers with the same idea would never come up with an identical looking layout to that Chinese creator. Even the discrete flip flop idea is different that the usual 8-bit latch with shift clock design, yet it looks identical. :)

MWeston

Isn't there a risk to overload the amp and sound bad though?
I read an article on the Benchmark website that said you can't even get the SINAD values the DAC is capable of if you limit yourself to 2Vrms outputs. To me, I think a selectable output voltage should be a standard feature to help match the amp gear selected. The standard output levels are pretty outdated and don't match current technology. An amp with a selectable gain control should help prevent the potential for overload, so as long as you choose a product with some kind of gain flexibility, I doubt there would be any trouble.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, is it repugnant enough to you to not do any listening tests?
The box had come back in June of this year so I was anxious to send it back quickly. It is on UPS truck already. :)

Top Bottom