• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop 789 vs. Monoprice 887 vs. SMSL SP200: THX amp measurement comparison

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Yes I was wondering if there were any specs with pro audio gear that differed enough from a "regular" DAC and could cause issues with this type of headphone amp. I assume if my peers are able to use the RNHP or Monotor (am I glad I did enough research before going for one of those, which are really popular in the field ofc), this shouldn't be any different, but better make sure.
I couldn't find a manual. Going by the specs, the Apogee will work. It has analog balanced outs through the breakout DSUB connector. Max output is 24dBu or 12V. Just make sure you don't overload the input stage of the headphone amp you get.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I'm considering E30 for dac and maybe upgrade that later to a solid balanced dac if upgradetitis hits me.

The E30 is a fantastic DAC. But if you're focused on picking up a 789 or an 887 (both great choices BTW) I would recommend researching some balanced DACs. For example: the SONCOZ LA-QXD1, the Grace Design SDAC Balanced, etc.

With a balanced DAC + some XLR interconnects you will almost certainly avoid any ground loop issues. So not even an "upgradeitis" thing: a balanced DAC may prevent some audible noise issues. It will be a little more expensive up front but may end up being more economical in the long run.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:facepalm: I made a THX 789 order at Drop last week and found it would ship in late October. It seems 4 months left before my "happy forever"
Lol thx789 is available on amazon, there is also thx 887. What are you trying to do ?

vuther

The E30 is a fantastic DAC. But if you're focused on picking up a 789 or an 887 (both great choices BTW) I would recommend researching some balanced DACs. For example: the SONCOZ LA-QXD1, the Grace Design SDAC Balanced, etc.

With a balanced DAC + some XLR interconnects you will almost certainly avoid any ground loop issues. So not even an "upgradeitis" thing: a balanced DAC may prevent some audible noise issues. It will be a little more expensive up front but may end up being more economical in the long run.
I have the E30 as well, and am interested in buying the 887. Is it critical to buy a balanced DAC? Is the sound performance really worth the extra $$? Also, do you think I'll have a substantial sound improve coming from Liquid Spark amp w/ LCD-X headphones?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I have the E30 as well, and am interested in buying the 887. Is it critical to buy a balanced DAC? Is the sound performance really worth the extra $$? Also, do you think I'll have a substantial sound improve coming from Liquid Spark amp w/ LCD-X headphones?

Thanks!!

No, it is not critical to buy a balanced DAC to pair with the 887. With a high quality DAC (such as the E30 that you have) you're not going to get an improvement in sound quality by buying a DAC with balanced output to feed the 887.

The only upside to buying a balanced DAC is ability to use the XLR outputs to feed the balanced inputs on the 887: this does not improve sound quality, but it will almost certainly resolve ground loop issues if you have them. So I'd say buy the 887 and try it with the E30 that you have. If you don't have any ground loop issues then you're OK, no need to buy a balanced DAC.

vuther

No, it is not critical to buy a balanced DAC to pair with the 887. With a high quality DAC (such as the E30 that you have) you're not going to get an improvement in sound quality by buying a DAC with balanced output to feed the 887.

The only upside to buying a balanced DAC is ability to use the XLR outputs to feed the balanced inputs on the 887: this does not improve sound quality, but it will almost certainly resolve ground loop issues if you have them. So I'd say buy the 887 and try it with the E30 that you have. If you don't have any ground loop issues then you're OK, no need to buy a balanced DAC.
Thank you!! What about my second question regarding the liquid spark vs 887? Will I get substantial sound improvement? Is it worth it?

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Thank you!! What about my second question regarding the liquid spark vs 887? Will I get substantial sound improvement? Is it worth it?

If you're looking at the 887 to just get "sound improvement" (and I'm not exactly sure what that means to you) I'm guessing the answer is no. The Liquid Spark is competent enough, while the the 887 is SOTA. I'm just not sure there's enough of a performance gap between the two for you to hear a difference.

That said, take some time to learn about what the measurements on ASR actually mean. (I highly recommend starting here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/) Then go back and thoroughly read the reviews for each device:
You need to figure out for yourself what attributes -- beyond just sound quality -- are important to you. For example, the 887 has:
  • balanced inputs
  • balanced headphone out
  • 3 gain settings
  • more power
Only you can decide if any of those things are important for your setup.

vuther

If you're looking at the 887 to just get "sound improvement" (and I'm not exactly sure what that means to you) I'm guessing the answer is no. The Liquid Spark is competent enough, while the the 887 is SOTA. I'm just not sure there's enough of a performance gap between the two for you to hear a difference.

That said, take some time to learn about what the measurements on ASR actually mean. (I highly recommend starting here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/) Then go back and thoroughly read the reviews for each device:
You need to figure out for yourself what attributes -- beyond just sound quality -- are important to you. For example, the 887 has:
  • balanced inputs
  • balanced headphone out
  • 3 gain settings
  • more power
Only you can decide if any of those things are important for your setup.
Yeah, I don't need any of those things you listed, so I guess the 887 isn't really an upgrade then for me. Thanks for your insight!

Chrisfi

Out of the three amps, which would you buy to power an HD 6XX which single ended cables (do not need balanced). The Drop One for $150, the Monoprice 887 for $250 or the SMSL 888 for $219?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've owned the THX AAA 789 for over two years now. Use its XLR outs power my LCD X and HD 800 as well as my Subpac S2 tactile subwoofer. As long as it works, I know of absolutely no reason to change it out, inasmuch as I don't see how it can be bettered sonically at any price.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of the three amps, which would you buy to power an HD 6XX which single ended cables (do not need balanced). The Drop One for $150, the Monoprice 887 for $250 or the SMSL 888 for $219?
Wait until they sell the 789 for $200 again and get that. You'll kick yourself not getting a balanced amp now then getting the headphone upgrade bug and buying a pair that actually need the balanced power from the 789/ 887.

Chrisfi

Wait until they sell the 789 for $200 again and get that. You'll kick yourself not getting a balanced amp now then getting the headphone upgrade bug and buying a pair that actually need the balanced power from the 789/ 887.

Damn. The Drop One actually went from $150 this morning to $200 this afternoon so that's definitely out of the question. If it were still $150 I would have just bought it.

The Monoprice 887 is $50 off from $300 to $250. Maybe I'll take your advice and go with that.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn. The Drop One actually went from $150 this morning to $200 this afternoon so that's definitely out of the question. If it were still $150 I would have just bought it.

The Monoprice 887 is $50 off from $300 to $250. Maybe I'll take your advice and go with that.
It's practically a carbon copy of the THX AAA 789, right down to the power output specs. Just buy whichever is on sale. $200-250 to make possible driving any headphone as well as it can driven is one of the perks of living in a golden age.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's practically a carbon copy of the THX AAA 789, right down to the power output specs. Just buy whichever is on sale. $200-250 to make possible driving any headphone as well as it can driven is one of the perks of living in a golden age.
I add to this. We are living a Golden Age: There so many great products available at reasonable prices. I mean seriously, the upper echelon of Headphones-based Audio can be had for around $1000.oo. We are talking about SOTA level. You can spend 10 times more and not get there.. etc.. Level of Objective PErformance. Repeatable and measurable..

THX 789AAA $350.oo ( On eBay they run for much less in open boxes, bought mine for $150. free shipping, came in a box so well closed it could not have been opened prior :D
Topping D10 Balanced $150.oo (free shipping on Amazon)
HiFiMan HE5SEv2 run often for $500 at Adorama. A bit of a chance they often come broken or so I experienced as many others. HifiMan fortunately steps up and replaced mine in a flash.
I just described my current headphones system. :)

It bears to realize that any of the amps in the OP, will power 99% of the headphones or IEM on the market. They are that good, no noise, no hiss, nothing , low distortion off-the-chart high SINAD. Hyperboles-worthy.. at less than $250.oo????

Golden times.

Peace.

Bren Derlin

“Due to the Green Bay Packers having a bye week (i.e., I have a little more free time than usual today)”

…best singular line I’ve read on these forums. The most productive weekend at the end of the year is the Packer’s bye-week. LOL

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 789 and the 887 and can't tell them apart, but didn't expect to. Wanted a replacement for the 789 if/when it failed.

Top Bottom