• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Masimo Corporation (MASI) closes Sound United Acquisition Apr 12

amper42

Major Contributor
The Sound United purchase is completed April 12. The stock price of the acquiring Masimo Corporation (MASI) has been hit hard. Can't imagine Sound United assets will double the stock price in the next few years. The selloff of the holding company may negatively impact Denon/Marantz and the other brands under this umbrella.

chart.png

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
MASI - 52 Week Range - 112.07 to 305.21
Trading at 109.89 after hours May 3, 2022
It's been a long way down.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
just an update

this company is now in a deathmatch with... Apple

obviously by now many of you know what the deal is given its all over the internet

basically Apple watches used tech in their O2 sensor that infringes on Masimo's patents... they are a medical devices company

this company is valued at $7.5 bn on a good day... Apple is worth what Apple is worth

but apparently Masimo's CEO hates Apple so it'll be max damage because Apple did some real shady shit to 'acquire' Masimo's tech

but obvious Apple could buy Masimo with pocket change but they cant

hold on for max nonsense

EWL5

I should probably keep my Apple Watch in good shape considering it could be highly desired tech down the road. LOL!

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

EERecordist

IMO Apple should just pay to license the technology from Masimo. When I was working for a very large company, some bad decisions where made on the basis of senior engineer's egos. There can also be non-useful egos in the intellectual property department. Most very large companies build up an IP portfolio to avoid having to go to court. But once you build up a large legal department, they go looking for problems, and thus create problems which are not rational from a business sense.

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
I love Apple products. I have been using the Mac since 1984 and brought them into multiple companies to improve productivity. But this situation where Apple hires away over a dozen Masimo employees and pays many of them double to come up with blood oxygen monitoring for the Applewatch while not licensing the technology from their previous employer is a bit crazy. I always thought Tim Cook's Apple would be a more reasonable company that understood right from wrong. Unfortunately, this shows exactly how vicious Apple is toward 3rd parties.

Apple use to be the small computer company but they now own the largest share of mobile phone business on the planet. Yet, they still want to charge 3rd party developers 30% of any sale and lock their users into the Apple App Store. Now Apple is paying Billions for poor AntiTrust behavior and it's only the beginning. Sad story for my favorite computer company which now has more hubris than compassion. What does it matter if you excel at environmental packaging if you attempt to steal from 3rd party partners? I'm really surprised Tim Cook didn't step in and make this right with Masimo and scold those involved in this situation. Apple will spend far more in fines, court fees, lawyers than if they simply had recognized 3rd parties hard work and made negotiations a win, win.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love Apple products. I have been using the Mac since 1984 and brought them into multiple companies to improve productivity. But this situation where Apple hires away over a dozen Masimo employees and pays many of them double to come up with blood oxygen monitoring for the Applewatch while not licensing the technology from their previous employer is a bit crazy. I always thought Tim Cook's Apple would be a more reasonable company that understood right from wrong. Unfortunately, this shows exactly how vicious Apple is toward 3rd parties.

Apple use to be the small computer company but they now own the largest share of mobile phone business on the planet. Yet, they still want to charge 3rd party developers 30% of any sale and lock their users into the Apple App Store. Now Apple is paying Billions for poor AntiTrust behavior and it's only the beginning. Sad story for my favorite computer company which now has more hubris than compassion. What does it matter if you excel at environmental packaging if you attempt to steal from 3rd party partners? I'm really surprised Tim Cook didn't step in and make this right with Masimo and scold those involved in this situation. Apple will spend far more in fines, court fees, lawyers than if they simply had recognized 3rd parties hard work and made negotiations a win, win.
I completely agree on all counts, although I've dropped the "love" I used to have. I especially don't like the direction their desktop OS has taken, but the alternatives all still seem worse to me, but I digress. I continue to use Apple products, but like you, I'm really disappointed in the company they have become, for the exact reasons you outline.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
But once you build up a large legal department, they go looking for problems, and thus create problems which are not rational from a business sense.

I see that Parkinson's Law applies to lawyers as well. I can add it to my collection of Parkinson's Law examples. Simply stated - demand rises to meet supply.

The classic example is "expenditure rises to meet income" or "time dilates to fill a deadline". I have noticed other examples:

- The British comedy sitcom "Yes Minister" said there is a Parkinson's Law of Social Workers - the more social workers you employ, the more social problems you get.
- Parkinson's Law of Hospitals - the more beds you supply, the more admissions you get. This is because when there are plenty of beds, there is no pressure to discharge patients, so patients are kept in hospital for longer than necessary. This is particularly true in socialized health care systems like Australia where there is no cost to the patient or health care team.
- Parkinson's Law of Activists - Caving in to activist demands creates idle activists. Idle activists then create more demands.
- Parkinson's Law of the Military. Building up military capability leads to more wars. This one is a bit more controversial and is debated by military historians though, because there are other constraining factors at play.
- Parkinson's Law of Beer- the more beer is in front of you, the more you drink. Particularly if the beer is free or unlimited, e.g. in a wedding party.
- Parkinson's Law of Sickies - in Australia, you get a number of paid sick days leave per year. If you don't use it, it is not converted into annual leave or extra pay. So many workers exploit this and take "sickies".

Top Bottom