• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Masaaki Suzuki's Stax headphone

DuxServit

Forum Donor
For fans of classical music and specifically Bach, you will probably have heard of Masaaki Suzuki and his Cantatas project.

In the Bach special issue of Gramophone magazine, there is a photo (attached) of Suzuki-sensei wearing a Stax headphone in the recording studio. I looked-up the liner notes of some of my CDs, but they only say "Stax" without mentioning any model number.

Anyone know what model it is?

masaaki-suzuki-stax2.png

Scgorg

Judging from the headband, yokes and the slimmer cable I would guess this is a Stax SR-Lambda, the original normal bias one from 1979.
Edit: I believe the SR-Lambda pro (1982) also shared the same exterior design, so it could be that.

OP
DuxServit

DuxServit

Forum Donor
The plastic looking headbands look like classic SR-Lambdas. But I was thinking how the headphone could last so long in a recording studio (with many hands & heads).

Leporello

Older Lambda by the look of them. BIS lists B&W, Stax and Sennheiser (also in that pic) as their monitoring equipment in the relatively recent Mendelssohn - Enescu recording.

Scgorg

The plastic looking headbands look like classic SR-Lambdas. But I was thinking how the headphone could last so long in a recording studio (with many hands & heads).
Headphones in general are quite durable, as long as they aren't abused constantly. The chassis and headband here is already a give-away that this is a pre-1990's lambda, while the slim cable means it has to be one of the earliest lambdas (either the SR-Lambda or SR-Lambda pro) as the later lambdas with this same construction (such as the lambda signature) have a thicker cable.

OP
DuxServit

DuxServit

Forum Donor
... while the slim cable means it has to be one of the earliest lambdas (either the SR-Lambda or SR-Lambda pro) as the later lambdas with this same construction (such as the lambda signature) have a thicker cable.

The slim cable is very noticeable, as most of the older Stax I've seen use the ribbon type cable.

Scgorg

The slim cable is very noticeable, as most of the Stax I've seen use the ribbon type cable.
Make no mistake, this is still a ribbon cable (though it's hard to see), but the early ribbon cables used a smaller conductor spacing than their current ones. The SR-Lambda was actually the first stax to use a ribbon cable. The SR-Sigma and everything before it (1977) used a more "normal" looking cloth covered cables.

Top Bottom