• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MartinLogan Motion 4i Review (bookshelf speaker)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ouch, I had bought these and a pair of 35XTI after not really enjoying the ELAC DBR62 and getting massive headaches from the Triangle BR03 (which I loved the actual sound of).
And how do they sound to you?

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the ESL sounds fantastic

Which ESL ? the Electromotion is the only MartinLogan ESL I have experience with, and was referring to.

The Quad ESL design, when fitted with dust covers, safety grilles and socks, does have limitations.
Though mine happily play to the mid 40Hz, my 2 x 12" subwoofers rarely have output, though there is only synth bass and organ pipes to hear down there.

My Quad 989's are fitted into bespoke steel frames, the added rigidity gives much greater dynamics and detail, as does running them naked.

I also have no room treatment apart from DSP control of the Subs. Part of the reason that panel speakers work so well is that they create few room reflections.
The ML's using a woofer in a box with a crossover at around 450Hz I would think causes a few in room issues.

Martin Logan produces a 23-page owner's manual with about half the content devoted to speaker positioning and environment. The manual includes recommendations for floor and wall types, acoustical wall treatment, distance from side and rear walls, distance from each other, distance from the listening position, and on and on.

panther

And how do they sound to you?
I found the 4i to be ok at a computer desk, I liked them because I felt there was more clarity over Vanatoo T0 I had. I moved them to a TV setup as we like them over a sound bar or tv speakers. Didn’t find them to have much bass.
The 35 series I like a lot more, even at a desk. They don’t give me a headache and I find them also clear, smooth and very relaxing for music I listen to. Similar to how I find my Sennheiser HD660 headphones.
As an aside, I didn’t mind the DBR62 I did have but I was sent the wrong color initially and didn’t find the customer service very prompt or easy to deal with from where I got them so I refunded them, otherwise I would have been good with that set.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The ML's using a woofer in a box with a crossover at around 450Hz I would think causes a few in room issues.

Mine cross to the sealed 12" at 180Hz.

Fidji

I do have my main set-up with Martin Logan Renaissance [including DSP for subwoofer part, that works very nicely]. DSP solves most of the placement issues, that MLs are known for - I had Summits before, and it is day and night in terms of set up.

In last 30 years, I have gone through all of the usual suspects - Dynaudio, B&W, WIlson Audio, Linn, and for me electrostats are just what I need.
Of course it has it flaws, e.g. they do have a bit too much of treble energy, but nothing, that can not be solved by right placement and room treatment. And clarity, speed and cohesion it offers in mid/treble range is just something else. Woofer integration is also seamless in its latest generation, big part thanks to ARC from Anthem.

Motion range, is really just low-end intended for budget home theaters and to draw any conclusions about electrostats out of it, is like evaluating S Klasse performance based on a ride in A Class.

P.S> my second, multichannel gear is from the "correct" camp - based on Neumann speakers [that I love too] and total worth of cables is approx 500 Eur, so not your typical audiophile here ;-)

misterdog

Mine cross to the sealed 12" at 180Hz.

I just grabbed the spec. of one of ML's numerous models. The bigger the panel the more bass you can get, so I suspect your 15"x48" panels are bigger than the model I quoted.

My Quad 989 panels are around 24" x47".

Fidji

I just grabbed the spec. of one of ML's numerous models. The bigger the panel the more bass you can get, so I suspect your 15"x48" panels are bigger than the model I quoted.

My Quad 989 panels are around 24" x47".

Actually with big hybrids you get bigger woofer, so bass goes lower, diaphragm area is about SPL levels available. They are all crossed over at approximately the same frequency around 300 Hz

misterdog

diaphragm area is about SPL levels available. They are all crossed over at approximately the same frequency around 300 Hz

Though more SPL available from a larger panel area would allow the x-over point to be lowered.
Quads have no x-over and by using a MiniDSP plate amp for my 12" subs they only come on at 50Hz.

Though much internet opinion says you cannot successfully integrate subs with Quads - wrong.
Obviously I built my front sub as dipole to match the panels and the rear as a sealed box for deeper excursion.

Last edited:

Zvu

Unlike the tweeter ML uses in this loudspeaker (badly implemented though) the one on your pics is really pos.

https://aliexpress.com/item/32890994086.html

The distortion of ML tweeter in 4i speaker is quite good i'd say. It stays calm - under 0.5% for most part at 96dB. 3rd harmonic hardly moved at all from 86-96dB, it is all 2nd harmonic rise.

Diffraction, bad voicing and lousy crossover influenced heavily on Amirs conclusion regarding highs.

Last edited:

Kyle / MrHeeHo

Even one keeps saying it at least looks good. I'm sorry but I can't tell what part exactly looks good here? Those front screws being accentuated like that (and so many) and that weird thing on the bottom.

Doesn't really look all that good to me at all really.
If I said what I think that weird thing on the front reminded me of I'd probably get a warning from a mod

Xyrium

Forum Donor
So, it's electrostatics or nuthin' for this company I suppose... I have a pair of their little sealed subs, the 700W's. They work well for what they need to do, but one has to wonder what they're thinking with their Motion line.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
I am baffled by the number of idiots who buy these things
Okay while agree objective data out of box in first place is not the most beauty ones to look at plus there is no bass, then have to admit because sensitivity is quite good and many readers here at this site seems to do advanced dial in of in room acoustic domain nevertheless then think its not so bad looking if for example dialed into a 100Hz Linkwitz Riley high pass as in below animation, so directly call owners idiots is probably a bit harsch judgement :)..

Objectivist01_x1x2_800mS.gif

Last edited:

Objectivist01

Okay while agree objective data out of box in first place is not the most beauty ones to look at plus there is no bass, then have to admit because sensitivity is quite good and many readers here at this site seems to do advanced dial in of in room acoustic domain nevertheless then think its not so bad looking if for example dialed into a 100Hz Linkwitz Riley high pass as in below animation, so directly call owners idiots is probably a bit harsch judgement :)..

View attachment 102512
How did you manage to write so much without a full stop?

panther

I am baffled by the number of idiots who buy these things

View attachment 102512
I may be an idiot but at least I can hear the dialogue on my TV shows now lol. In the area I needed to fit these in the slim size is nice and I don't expect much from them. I probably wouldn't have bought them if I had seen a review on here compared to what was out there when I got them. I do cringe more on the larger Motion 35 speakers I bought though! They do sound fine to me without any EQ but I am sure they would get a similar test result here.

Objectivist01

I may be an idiot but at least I can hear the dialogue on my TV shows now lol. In the area I needed to fit these in the slim size is nice and I don't expect much from them. I probably wouldn't have bought them if I had seen a review on here compared to what was out there when I got them. I do cringe more on the larger Motion 35 speakers I bought though! They do sound fine to me without any EQ but I am sure they would get a similar test result here.
If you just wanted to hear the dialogues, there are plenty of much better options than this weird thing.

Objectivist01

Then it only means you have perspective about how accurate sound would be. Sounding nice is subjective. But people have their own idea about good sound. Accurate may not be everyone's thing

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Top Bottom