• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Martin Logan Unison + Subwoofer

JEarle

Forum Donor
Ordered a Unison preamp mainly to get ARC in my front room, I'm currently going through the thought process of how I'm going to do the measurements.

Setup is:

Apple TV > Samsung TV Optical Out > Unison Optical In to Analog Out > Integrated Amplifier
> JBL 4309
> Subwoofer via Preamp Outs of Integrated Amp

Given that I only have two channels of DSP and no HPF for my 4309's (which is fine, its not my main audio room) do I take my ARC measurements with just the 4309's turned on, or with both the 4309's and sub?

Im worried if I measure with both on I am potentially applying EQ which will overdrive the 4309's in the LF. I know correction EQ is mainly for reducing peaks, but I do like a reasonable LF haystack, so my target will have that. I only plan on applying EQ <300Hz.

If I measure without the subs on I am worried that I won't be exciting some of the lower freq room modes, that the subwoofer might excite.

Obviously this isn't a perfect setup and there is compromises either way, but interested in other peoples thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom