• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Martin Logan ESL (or ESL X) or Magnepan 1.7i?

Justin Ayers

The main benefit of spending $4,000 on the ML ESL X (rather than the less expensive ESL) is better bass response from the dual subwoofer (ESL just has one). However, it seems to me that it might be more cost-effective to get a bigger subwoofer and get an ESL (although it has a smaller panel also). I have even been considering the DIY subwoofer route as I like the idea of a sealed design with a very large box. I have plenty of space in my listening room for a big box. So, I have been thinking about a 15–18" subwoofer to complement whatever speaker set I get. (I may get/make a second sub later as well, as I have read many comments that say having two is much more optimal.) Only very expensive speakers seem to have enough bass to let one do without a subwoofer to get full-range response and I can't really afford $4,000 speakers — let alone the $8,000 it costs to get speakers with strong accurate low bass.

I have some reservations about the MLs, though.

1) Dust. If they have big problems with dust then I should probably look elsewhere. My cat puts out a lot of dander and I live near farms and people who use burn piles heavily. If putting a cover over them when not in use is all that needs to be done then that's not so bad. Does anyone make Velcro covers with a dust-proof fabric?

2) Short lifespan. I have read comments elsewhere that suggest that Martin Logan doesn't support its older speakers very well, while Magnepan does. Additionally, I have read that electrostatic panels degrade rather quickly — like 8–12 years. That won't work for me because I can't afford good speakers in the first place. I definitely can't afford to replace them or rebuild them in a decade or less.

3) "Head in a vise". This is only a concern for me if the optimal listening area is really small and there is a very noticeable difference in quality.

4) The small size of the subwoofers. I understand that the goal is to have more rapid response, to not lag behind the panels as much. But, what about low bass?

5) The price. The Magnepan 1.7i is quite a lot less expensive than the ESL X but around the price of the ESL. The next step up in the Magnepan line, the 3.7i, is $2000 more than the ESL X and well out of reach for me.

As far as the Magnepans go, I also have some reservations.

1) Is the 1.7i good enough to cancel-out the drawbacks of the LRS that have been shown here, especially when paired with a sub? Or, is it necessary to get one of their higher-end true ribbon models?

2) Am I going to need to spend a lot on amplification to drive these?

As far as the regular ESL (not X) goes... Martin Logan says this about the X: The ElectroMotion ESL X features a new larger XStat™ electrostatic transducer, with a radiating area over 50in2 larger than the EM-ESL model.

So, the extra $1500 gets you a bigger panel and another 8" sub. $4,000, though, is probably beyond my price range.

ESL X: Panel Dimensions: 40" x 8.6" (102 x 22cm) » Radiating Area: 344 in² (2,244 cm² )
ESL: Panel Dimensions: 34" x 8.6" (86 x 22cm) » Radiating Area: 292 in² (1,892 cm² )

I realize that the only planars that have been reviewed here so far are the Magnepan LRS, which seem to be a case of price target ruining the value of the technology (low price tag, lower value).

How big does an electrostatic (and "quasi-ribbon" magnetic planar) speaker have to be in terms of panel size to produce excellent mids and treble (leaving the subwoofer to handle most of the bass)? From what I've seen, with any brand-new speaker (not used), you can either have an affordable price or you can have low bass. That's without adding a subwoofer (or two) yourself. So, I am basically expecting to have to add a sub. So, what I need is a speaker with good mids and treble, and probably high bass.

I have tried to read a lot about these speakers over the years but I am wondering if anyone has more hard data to tell me if I should skip the idea of budget planars or if one of these would be a suitable choice. As far as music, I listen to 80% classical (especially piano) and 20% other. I'm picky about sound quality. For instance, I dislike listening to symphonic music that was recorded in analog, versus a digital recording.

Is it true that the "quasi-ribbon" Magnepan design has slower mids and treble than an electrostatic panel? And/or is there more distortion? Is it true that modern Magnepan panels are likely to outlast an electrostatic panel by many years (lower-maintenance design)?

Thanks for any input you can provide. I have erased the LRS from my consideration due to the review here. Comments indicate that the 1.7i is quite a bit better and the ML ELS is around the same price.

Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
Why did you narrow your selection to just these two speakers? What else do you have in your chain? Or are you buying amps, dac and so in all at once?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Dust. If they have big problems with dust

No

Short lifespan

Bought my reQuests in 1998. They got pounded hard again last weekend.

"Head in a vise".

There is a "best" location.

The small size of the subwoofers

ESL X is not a large speaker

The price.

The "replacement" for mine are $25k msrp.

Paid 75% of $4550 for my pair in 1998.

They show up often used for $1~$2k for the pair.

---

Magnepans, I don't know.

2) Am I going to need to spend a lot on amplification to drive these?

Too much power is better than not enough if you "need" it. Magnepan is a less reactive (easier) load than 'stats.

My amps are rated 450/700/1400 into 8/4/2 ohms. No way I use that, so power is "unlimited" for my purposes.

20 to 500W is "recommended"

---

How big does an electrostatic (and "quasi-ribbon" magnetic planar) speaker have to be in terms of panel size to produce excellent mids and treble

Mine are 15x48 and cross at 180 Hz to a 12" sealed woofer that will maintain a "flat" measurement down to 20hz.

Left and Right with EQ and without - a different set of speakers )litle JBL) show the same bass craziness.

1602223270961.png 1602223446879.png

The new ones - 15A - about the same size but cross at 300Hz

---

Planars - all I can figure is that you like them (and accept the "faults") or you don't (and accept a different set of operational characteristics).

---

I'm not speaker shopping.

I'm not sure what I might get if I were.

---

Here's a pair of Quest for $900, a little older. Cheap enough to experiment with a big 'stat.

https://www.ebay.com/i/353149708136?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Bummer, one woofer is out of service.

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/quest

Last edited:

SineWave

If you think your head will need to be in a vice with the Martins, the Maggies are going to need a much more tighter vice. The Logan have a curved panel, unlike the Maggies, so they Logans won't beam as much. I have a set of ReQuest and SL3s and tried some smaller Maggies and the Maggies sound changed for the worse much faster than ML when going off center. Anywhere it the room, the ML still sound very good to me, but of course, like ALL speakers, the sweet spots is right there in that magic triangle spot.

My ReQuest panels are original and both me and the previous owner took good care of them and they still sound good (I believe he bought them in 1999). I do have a new set of panel I purchased 6 years ago or so, but the originals still sound great to me. I'll know how much, if any loss in sound at all, they've gone through if I ever get around to switch them out. They shouldn't be attracting dust at all until they actually play (auto on/off when it senses a sound signal. otherwise they are not being charged). I would just vacuum the panels once a week at most (make sure to unplug them for about 24hrs before you do). Most people vacuum them once every 6 months to a year (if at all). Some people even put the panels gently under water running from a shower (usually only required if you notice them not sounding good). If you ever need new panels, you don't need to spend a fortune purchasing them from ML. There are companies you can ship the panels to and they will re-coat them for a much lower price.

I have a hard time going back to listening to box speakers after Iistening to MLs. Even with box speakers that cost way more. ML have a very magical sound to them. I think what some don't like about them and Maggies are that most everything on them sound big. Guitars sound the size of the wall. Some people who have more flexibility with room placement have had good luck with reducing the size to more realistic levels. But I actually love it that way.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are my thoughts having owned 6 pairs of Magnepans from the SMGa to the 3.5 over 25 years and listening to many sets of Martin Logans:
  • Magnepans and Martin Logans (any electrostat) sound fundamentally different. Maggies have more high end than electrostats, probably due to the tweeter putting more energy into the room off axis. There is a good chance you will have a strong preference of one over the other.
  • I have never been ever to warm up to the Martin Logan hybrid panels. There has always been a very noticeable disconnect as the sound goes from the electrostatic panel to the dynamic driver, right in the middle of the lower midrange. It has gotten better with each generation, but is still there.
  • The older Martin Logan CLS (large full range panel that can be run with a subwoofer and crossover at 80hz) is among the best 3 speakers I have ever heard. Utter coherence from the top to bottom as there was no change between drivers, large enough to have good dynamics, and just sounded utterly transparent.
  • There is a substantial difference between Magnepans with the QR tweeter and the real ribbon (3 series and up). The real ribbon has better off axis response because it is narrow. It also has a much more linear and extended high frequency response.
  • Magnepans are capable of high SPL than electrostatics.
  • In the old days, both speakers were a nightmare to drive, Maggies because they need a lot of watts (basically a 4 ohm resistor), Martin Logans because of low impedance (both were inefficient). Watts are cheap now.
  • Magnpan has very good long term support. I had my 3.5s rebuilt by Magnepan, it cost me less than $1,000 including shipping both ways.
Here are my thoughts and recommendations:
  • You say that $4,000 is too much money. There is no speaker or audio system that is worth going into debt.
  • If you go the planar/electrostatic route, you do not need to spend a fortune on amplification. Grab a Nord or equivalent Hypex NC502 amp for less than $750.
  • Used- You can purchase a nice pair of Magnepan 3.5 or 3.6s for less than $2,500.
  • Consider a good set of dynamic speakers. I can tell you from experience, Magnepans can sound just absolutely amazing on some things, but not so much on others, the experience can be very variable (as with any speaker that is not very accurate). A well designed set of dynamic speakers will give you a far more consistent sound and do not have a boxy sound. They are easier to place, take up less space, and much more efficient.
  • For $1,700 a pair, you can get a pair of Philharmonic BMR speakers, which have an excellent RAAL tweeter.
  • For $2,500 a pair you can get a used pair of Revel F206s. With careful shopping you can get them new for less than $3,000 a pair. For less than $3,500 you could get a pair of Revel F208s. Some prefer KEF, which are also an excellent choice.

OP
Justin Ayers

Justin Ayers

Why did you narrow your selection to just these two speakers?
The only other planar speaker companies I found sell very expensive models only, like the company in Greece. The LRS didn't do so well in the review here which doesn't surprise me since it's so inexpensive for a planar. So, that leaves the ELS, ELS X, and 1.7i in the <$4,500 range. Since $4,000 is hard to afford at the moment (can be done but hardly ideal), the ELS and 1.7i seem to be the ones in contention.

I have looked into used speakers but they're usually local pickup and nowhere near where I live. I'm also concerned about how well they've been cared for. There is what seems to be a good deal on a pair of higher-end MLs within driving distance but the guy selling them had them in a garage with snow around the speaker shipping box. If they have been in an unheated garage over the winter and cooking in the summer it makes me wary. If I could be certain that those speakers have been stored properly then I would seriously consider them. My spouse is unlikely to look kindly on spending thousands on something used unless there is less of a chance of being burned. Those are new in box but I don't know how ML would handle a warranty claim if I'm buying from a random person.
What else do you have in your chain? Or are you buying amps, dac and so in all at once?
I have two receivers. Both were gifts. One is an Optimus STAV 3370 and the other is an RCA STAV 3970. I think they're both Pioneer rebrands. The Optimus has better specs (a bit more wattage and lower distortion). My plan has been to use it until I can replace it with something better.

I am prone to tinnitus so I don't plan to listen at high volumes. For this reason I also want to avoid large peaks in the highest treble, especially in the range that can't be heard.

Here are the specs for the Optimus:

Power consumption: 340W.
Front Channel Average Output: 110W per ch. 8 Ohms. 20 to 20,000 Hz. <= 0.09% THD.
Dynamic Power Output (2 Ohms/4 Ohms/8 Ohms): 300W, 250W, 150W
Input Sensitivity/Impedance (CD/LD): 200 mV/47 kOhms
Frequency Response (CD/LD): 5 Hz to 100,000 Hz +0/–3 dB
Tone Controls: "bass" ± 8 dB (150 Hz) "treble" ±8 dB (10 kHz) "super bass" +8 dB (80 Hz)

I have a Behringer FCA202 firewire DAC attached to a 2008 MacBook Pro (internal SSD to eliminate hard drive noise) that has my lossless library in iTunes. Here are the specs of the FCA202:

bal/unbal out:

sockets: 1/4" TRS stereo jack
output impedance: ca. 1 kOhm
max output level: 2 dBV

converter: 24-bit Multibit Delta-Sigma
sample rate: 44.1 kHz, 48.0 kHz, 96.0 kHz
Mac driver: CoreAudio

frequency response:
10 Hz to 21 kHz, ± 1 dB @ 44.1 kHz sample rate
10 Hz to 45 kHz, ± 1 dB @ 96.0 kHz sample rate

harmonic distortion: 0.01 % typ. @ -10 dBV, 1kHz
crosstalk: -100 dB @ 0 dBV, 1 kHz
signal to noise: 100 dB typ. @ 1 kHz, A-weighted

Last edited:

SineWave

I have tinnitus too, plus hearing recruitment loss a little. Was just telling my GF that the ReQuest & SL3's don't hurt my ears like the ML Motion series I use in the 2CH TV setup and the JBL bedroom setup.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've also owned a few Maggies and various Stats. You'll most likely prefer one over the other. I much prefer ESL panels.

You really should listen to one of each at least.

I also at least with older M-L's never liked the match with their woofer.

I don't know that either receiver will make you happy with these speakers you are considering.

Hate to say I don't have a good answer for you. If I had to pick one of the two here, it would be the M-L. I'd say you might wish to add a sub anyway and you'll need a better amp.

SineWave

I'd be careful about using the Optimus (or any) receiver with the MLs (I don't know about the Maggies). The Optimus I use to sell during my college years at Radio Shack. I don't think they are real good for low impedance speakers. Then again, the newer ML like the ones you are considering aren't that hard to drive as my older one.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I agree with your opinion on used, as I would be wary on spending thousands without a warranty. Maybe a dealer demo would be a safe compromise.

Depending on your budget, as @CDMC suggested, Philharmonic, Revel, KEF and some hypex-based amplification is going to give you a solid all around delivery for music and movies.

<subjective>
I was set on maggies, but was able to demo the 1.7 and they were fantastic for light, airy, female voices. Much less satisfying for other types of music. I did not like them at all for movies. If you haven’t had a chance to listen to the speakers on your list, you should.
<\subjective>

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP, this might be a stupid question, but what caused you to focus exclusively on panel speakers in the first place? What is your listening distance and room size?
+1
ML has a few speakers from small to big and size of room and listening position is directly related.
I have mine since 1992 with no issues. I tried to blend a 15" subwoofer, but wasn't convinced & happy then.

sfdoddsy

If you like panels, dynamic open baffles such as the Linkwitz LX521 have most of the benefits without most of the disadvantages.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two receivers. Both were gifts. One is an Optimus STAV 3370 and the other is an RCA STAV 3970. I think they're both Pioneer rebrands. The Optimus has better specs (a bit more wattage and lower distortion). My plan has been to use it until I can replace it with something better.

I am prone to tinnitus so I don't plan to listen at high volumes. For this reason I also want to avoid large peaks in the highest treble, especially in the range that can't be heard.

I have a Behringer FCA202 firewire DAC attached to a 2008 MacBook Pro (internal SSD to eliminate hard drive noise) that has my lossless library in iTunes. Here are the specs of the FCA202:

I think you need to take a big step back and take a look at a few things and give us more information:
  • What are your goals for your system? (music, surround, home theater?
  • What are the measurements of the room your system is going in?
  • What is the layout of your room?
  • What speakers do you currently have?
  • What don't you like about your current speakers?
  • When you listen to music, what part do you notice?
  • What is your real budget (you have said $4,000 is too much)? Your budget is, what it is. If it is $200, nobody is going to laugh, but we need to know what your limitations are.
What I see right now is you have a couple of 30 year old pro logic receivers that likely have very inflated performance specifications. It looks like you have become enthralled with planar/electrostatic speakers (probably because they are unique and cool looking), without understanding/accepting that they take a good deal of amplification that your receivers are incapable of providing, take a lot of space, and have some serious compromises.

Given us the information to help you and understand that the responses you receive may not be what you were initially looking for, but are going to get you in a much better place with your budget than throwing money at a pair of speakers that you cannot power, may not work well in your room, and may not in fact be what you are looking for in sound.

OP
Justin Ayers

Justin Ayers

I agree with your opinion on used, as I would be wary on spending thousands without a warranty. Maybe a dealer demo would be a safe compromise.

<subjective>
I was set on maggies, but was able to demo the 1.7 and they were fantastic for light, airy, female voices. Much less satisfying for other types of music. I did not like them at all for movies. If you haven’t had a chance to listen to the speakers on your list, you should.
<\subjective>
I'm not going to use the speakers for anything other than stereo music. As far as the 1.7s go, I have read a lot of comments saying they don't have enough bass because of their small size. So, they would have to be paired with a sub or two or with one or two of the Magnepan bass panels.

If you haven’t had a chance to listen to the speakers on your list, you should.
I plan to but I also like to read opinions and, especially, get the data. The site's data was enough to take the LRS off of my list. A shorter list = less time spent driving to different dealers.

So many comments asking me why I am interested in planars indicate to me that unless I spring for models that are above $4,000 (or perhaps right at that level with something like the ELS X) I am wasting my money because planar tech requires a bigger investment. That does seem to be the case if one doesn't supplement by adding some kind of bass extension. In the case of the LRS it appears to be that the panel size has to also be a certain minimum size to produce good treble. Shrink the panel too much and all you have is midrange. That's the impression I have from what I've read and seen. Otherwise, if planars within my budget (which is somewhat flexible but no more than $4,000) can hold their own against dynamics, in performance and value, I doubt there would be so many posts indicating otherwise.

I have large-enough rooms, including a living room with vaulted ceilings. I can place them there or in my bedroom. I prefer to have them in my bedroom since it is quieter but I can very easily place them in the living room if they are large speakers (like Tympani) with a higher space behind requirement.

Since you mentioned the used situation I have a fresh story to tell. Feel free to ignore the rest of this post if you want to because it's basically only slightly humorous complaint.

I have looked a lot at the used situation (planars) and found a set of Tympanis relatively close by. The seller:

• wouldn't answer my question about auditioning them (asked twice, no less)
• didn't bother to reply to my message through Audio Mart
• didn't know which Tympani 1 it was (but said it might be 1-D)
• had no paperwork and was not the original owner (so no way to know if work had been done other than new socks)
• told me not to "overthink things", "if they sell they sell", and "have a good night"
• had to be asked twice to answer whether or not boxes were included and didn't think to put that basic info in the listings
• had to edit the Ebay listing to make it clear that it's a speaker pair, since the main photo shows just one and the title is "loudspeaker"
• did put in a bunch of unimportant information about amps he/she used with them (three models mentioned)

(You would think he'd know if they're 1Ds based on his precise amp information because the 1D is apparently a 4 Ohm model, rather than 8 Ohms, if what I read during my initial research into this line is correct.)

I can see that level of poor salesmanship from a drunk on Craigslist but this listing is on Audio Mart and Ebay (from someone with a lot of positive feedback). You'd think that someone who made the effort to make two listings would bother to answer basic information, like whether or not boxes come with them (as they are local pick-up only), without having to be asked twice.

I did a lot of research into the Tympanis and decided that, despite their drawbacks, they would be worth the time to drive roughly 6 hours (3 each way) to audition them and buy them if they pass muster. But, the seller ignored the question. Anyone reasonable will assume that delicate old speakers that are large and heavy that don't come with packing are going to be in poor condition if someone won't let you hear them before you pack them yourself. It's far too easy to claim that the buyer damaged them. Not only is the buyer packing them, the buyer is moving them from the pick-up location, into and out of a vehicle, and into a home. As a seller, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them if I hadn't given an audition and gotten, in writing, a sign-off saying they are in good-enough condition to finalize the sale. The socks had been replaced but, unsurprisingly, there was no offer to show the condition under them. Guides suggest inspecting them for corrosion, lifting, and breaks but if I would have asked this person he/she would have ignored the question and maybe eventually lectured me some more. Replacing cheap fabric to hide flaws that are so common with those speakers that they are said to always inevitably require repair/rebuild/replacement parts isn't a sophisticated trick. While it's possible that they came that way from the place the seller claims he/she bought them from, who knows since there's not a speck of paperwork — not even a solid way to know what model they are.

Pardon the mini rant but when you find what seem to be reasonable deals they're either too far away (and local pick-up only), already sold, or you deal with nonsense like the aforementioned. I don't need someone who can't bother to answer normal questions and post normal information (rather than irrelevant gushing about amps) to lecture me about overthinking things like having packaging when I arrive so I don't end up strapping the bare speakers to the roof of the car with bungie cords.

Last edited:
OP
Justin Ayers

Justin Ayers

What I see right now is you have a couple of 30 year old pro logic receivers that likely have very inflated performance specifications. It looks like you have become enthralled with planar/electrostatic speakers (probably because they are unique and cool looking), without understanding/accepting that they take a good deal of amplification that your receivers are incapable of providing, take a lot of space, and have some serious compromises.
Speculation.

The amps I have aren't great. I am aware of that. The goal of this post wasn't to pick amps. I realize that speakers need appropriate amps and planned to get to the amp-picking step after I had a better idea of which speakers I want. I don't pick an amp first and choose the speaker second.

No one needs to pick or own an amp to see that the LRS isn't a great buy. All one needs is the review here.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speculation.

The amps I have aren't great. I am aware of that. The goal of this post wasn't to pick amps. I realize that speakers need appropriate amps and planned to get to the amp-picking step after I had a better idea of which speakers I want. I don't pick an amp first and choose the speaker second.

No one needs to pick or own an amp to see that the LRS isn't a great buy. All one needs is the review here.
I agree with picking speaker first then getting the amp it needs. Right way to go about it if you ask me. We just wanted to make sure you were aware you likely will need to get an amp.

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
I love the 1.7i for movies, dunno why you wouldn't. Panel speakers make everything seem "bigger" and that lends itself quite well to stereo movie watching. Phantom center is accurate and voices are well represented.

I would recommend a couple subs though. They stop hitting hard at about 55hz. I'm looking at a couple SVS subs to pair with them for those last 25-30hz. It's not necessary for music really, but for movies, I'd like the rumble.

I did like the MLs when I heard them, but, ironically, came away feeling the opposite as everyone else. They seemed to beam more, were more airy (for the parts the panel was doing) and seemed more adept at classical music than anything else - and I probably wouldn't want them for home theater use. I... Went the other way and got the 1.7i. **shrug**

Webninja

Forum Donor
I plan to but I also like to read opinions and, especially, get the data. The site's data was enough to take the LRS off of my list. A shorter list = less time spent driving to different dealers.

Good reasoning, and about that used sale - I've never had one go that badly. I've bought used speakers from Audio Mart, but just at much cheaper prices. For my current shopping - Revel 208, 226be, 228be/studio2 (if I luck into extra funds) - I will go new/dealer demo.

OP
Justin Ayers

Justin Ayers

Good reasoning, and about that used sale - I've never had one go that badly.
I suppose I'm just the lucky sort. o_O

I'll definitely jot down the suggestions people have put here. Finding dealers close by with the systems set up well might be tricky. I've heard complaints about dipoles being stuck against walls or surrounded by other equipment.

In terms of the questions posed:

I don't have any good equipment. I have had other things take my finances. At the age I am now I feel that it's time to finally get a decent system, instead of gifted junk (like Pioneer bookshelves from the 70s that have no treble, no bass, and mud midrange) and my Sony headphones that have no bass. I also have my credit card paid off and have money saved ($9500). That money can be spent on a variety of things so my budget is not strongly fixed. It depends on what my priorities end up being. I am definitely not going to spend $9500 on audio. $4,000 is likely too much but if I am impressed enough by the sound I might spend that much. It's unlikely, though. I would prefer to spend $2,000 total. How much I end up spending is going to be, in large part, determined by how impressed I am by the sound quality difference in spending more rather than less. There is spousal pressure to spend the money on priorities. So far, that has meant minimal spending on audio, like the cheap pre-owned Behringer firewire DAC I got at a music store.

I do not plan to "chase the dream" — buy this and then that then this then that. I suppose I would if I could afford to do that and liked to sell things. But, I don't want the hassle and can't afford the expense. I plan to get something I can consider good enough and that's that. My hearing isn't going to improve with age and I don't expect to be coming into a large quantity of liquid assets either. I'm not going to be able to afford what I want due to my budget. So, it comes down to finding "good enough to get by with" or, ideally, a bit better than that.

My rooms are large enough (although likely too reflective at the moment) and I do not have demanding requirements (like any form of home theater surround sound). What I do want is as much accuracy as I can get, with bass that can cover the deep piano notes and ideally the full range of orchestra (contrabassoon). I do also listen to some "popular" music, including electronic music. So, having a full frequency range would be ideal. I don't need treble that's extended beyond 20K and would prefer a relatively flat response so I don't have to do a lot of EQ. I am seriously considering the use of room correction because I have read so many rave reviews but want to get the speaker setup to be able to handle the full frequency range first, before I spend more to get correction. I don't want to have to sit really close to the speakers (mixing monitors) because I don't want to be sitting in typical chairs. I like to stretch out more because of my lower back.

It is true that I prefer the look of planars. I don't see how that disqualifies them unless it's also true that one simply can't buy any within my budget that perform adequately in terms of value. If looks were my primary driving factor I would restrict myself to specific used Magnepans (that look like the 3.7i but which are used and therefore more within my budget), with specific wood stripping, and specific fabric. I like the way certain older models look and don't care for plain black fabric. Looks are not my primary concern which is why I was just seriously considering a pair of Tympani 1s with plain black fabric. They're not lookers by any means. They look like black dressing partitions. I liked the rapid response of the mylar headphones I had as a teenager. This is the main reason I have focused more on planars. I also have read many claims about coherence and such and would like to investigate the alleged benefits of these technologies. I have tried to read a lot about the pros and cons, both for the current stuff and the old stuff. For instance, the ribbon tweeter of the used larger-sized Magnepan requires tweeter protectors to be applied before it should be moved. Etc. Etc. I am detail-oriented so I have been trying to learn as much as I can to make a good purchase. One person says the Tympani 1(U) is fab and the next says it's terrible because the designer tried too hard to extend the treble. This is one of the reasons I like the scientific approach here.

I like the sound of high-quality digital classical recording. Analog orchestral recordings sound compressed and grainy to me. I realize that lower volumes and large orchestras generally don't match but I listen to a lot of piano and can handle diluting the impact of orchestral music with reduced volume. I have read claims that the quasi-ribbon planars need higher levels of volume to sound their best, so that could be an issue, if there is no ribbon tweeter. That seems to suggest that an electrostat is a better choice. However, the smaller panels get complaints about obvious separation between the sound of the bass and the rest, due to the use of a hybrid design. There is a really neat ultra-rare Russian electrostat that's absolutely huge. I would love to have one of those. There wouldn't be any worry about bass with that! I would then have to insulate my detached garage and turn that into the listening room, though. Don't think the spouse would be so keen on having to park outdoors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom