• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Martin Logan Dynamo 800x Room Correction vs Rel T5i High Level Input

panther

I am trying to decide on these 2 subs but I can’t go in and try them out, I don’t really want to have to return one either. I more interested on some feedback on the Martin Logan subs app customization vs REL using a high level input. My partner wants less boomy bass then I previously had with an older ML sub that was connecting to a pair of Vanatoo speakers using its high pass and low pass filters. My use is mostly nearfield gaming and music. I like the idea of the app although I wonder how long it will be supported in the future. The high level input REL uses is new to me, sounds interesting but the thought of more cables on my desk going to an amp is a little off putting. Will be in an open living room with furniture behind me against 2 walls for now for placement. Current amp is a Yamaha wxa-50 but I will be getting something different and ML 35xti Speakers. Hope this is the right area to post this question.
Thanks

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Do you have any "correction" available now?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Boom is the Room in my case.

MartinLogans with 12" sealed woofer and Krell amps vs JBL LSR 308 with 8" ported woofer and internal chip amp:

No "corrrection":

1602463075318.png

With "correction"

1602463180072.png

Boom bye bye

OP
P

panther

I don't have any room correction currently
Interesting to see though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't have any room correction currently

You might consider investigating some method of correction as opposed to replacing hardware if you need to "tailor" your sound.

It can be very effective.

Boom can likely be squashed with a PEQ or two.

The above correction utilizes a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI operating in the digital path with AcourateDRC deciding the adjustments.

Overkill to flatten the bass humps, maybe, but I like to experiment.

OP
P

panther

You might consider investigating some method of correction as opposed to replacing hardware if you need to "tailor" your sound.

It can be very effective.

Boom can likely be squashed with a PEQ or two.

The above correction utilizes a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI operating in the digital path with AcourateDRC deciding the adjustments.

Overkill to flatten the bass humps, maybe, but I like to experiment.
Yeah I have thought about getting the Mini DSP in one form or another(just haven't felt like I have time and energy right now with work/kids). I thought the ML with room correction and the app letting you edit some stuff might be a good fit in the short term. The REL is more the size I am looking for but the thought of a 30ft high level input cable going to the amp is just more then I want, but the few reviews I have read say it blends nicely.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see how the REL, with no correction is going to give you what you want, their high level control they promote so much also makes no real sense. I'd work out how you want to do correction first, then look for products that make sense with the approach.

OP
P

panther

I decided to buy the ML 800x. It sounds great when I connect it to my amp and DAC (JDS Labs Element II connected to PC). However when I switch my amp over to streaming via airplay or spotify the sub sounds horrible. It rattles and is boomy sounding. Maxing the volume from the amp or iOS device controlling spotify helps a little bit but is way to loud overall. I have to completely lower the volume in the ML app to make it not rattle the house. It also seems to lose connection to edit it at times and has twice gone out of control with volume to high or low making me to a factory reset each time. Not sure what to do about the streaming sound quality as my last ML sub didn't have this issue with the same equipment.

Top Bottom