• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Martin Logan 60 XTi opinions anyone?

Koloth

The first generation of the Motion series easily bested the Wharfedales and Monitor Audios, we had in the store I used to work at. A very full sound with maybe somewhat elevated bass but very pleasant highs. I have no idea how the current generation sounds, but I cant imagine them having gone backwards. I do think they are somewhat goofy looking, but the fit and finish was also very nice - although certainly not as nice as in the Monitor Audios.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm... Based on the 3 Motions measured at NRC (scroll down full list), I'd have said newer models are flatter because more bass. Perhaps those models aren't fully representative of the whole line. Or the earliest sample was defective?

I'm never sure what to think about such results. Seems astonishing that a company with decades of speaker building would intentionally produce something with the 2012 FR. Then, do the XTi results mean "So much better - buy it!" or "These guys are still improving - wait for the XTi v2..."?

@Ron Texas, I still believe your best upgrade would be bigger KEFs, because you seem reasonably happy with the LS50.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@HammerSandwich the most straight forward upgrade path is to get a pair of subs so I can raise the crossover frequency without bass directionality. Unfortunately, my preferred choice, Rythmik L12 is again out of stock at least until the end of this month.

MJR

The first generation of the Motion series easily bested the Wharfedales and Monitor Audios, we had in the store I used to work at. A very full sound with maybe somewhat elevated bass but very pleasant highs. I have no idea how the current generation sounds, but I cant imagine them having gone backwards. I do think they are somewhat goofy looking, but the fit and finish was also very nice - although certainly not as nice as in the Monitor Audios.

i think the ML 60 XTi sounds phenomenal and was far superior to the Monitor Audio Silver 500 I auditioned them against in Direct A-B demo using my same NAD amp/preamp combo.
ML had super smooth highs and fantastic soundstage imaging overall. A little too much low end basswhen i got them home, but I was able to easily roll that off with Dirac. I only corrected sub400hz for my room as the rest of the speaker frequencies sounded fantastic to me. Build quality is very nice and what i would expect in this price range. Bottom line :):):)

Top Bottom