• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Market gap: "on-axis" speaker stands

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Learning here about how important it is for a listener to maintain his head as close as possible to "ideal" axis while critical listening, I wonder why still nobody manufactures "active" stands for domestic use of shelf speakers. Goal is simple, track listener's head position with a small cam and actively adjust actual directivity of speakers, in some reasonable H/V angles (same way as some motorised webcams move while tracking detected movement in its field of vision).

So you can for example practise yoga and still get the best possible sound in higher frequencies as well :).
OK, that was wrong example, as audiophiles don't do anything while paying attention to music ;), but than again, how many people remain steady during whole listening/movie session..

This is half serious/half sunday joke post, but it isn't utter nonsense, is it? :)

Putter

Forum Donor
The possibilities are limitless. How about custom stands with remote controls to adjust to the number of listeners, a simple swivel setup. How about a motor to create counter vibrations to the inevitable resonances found on almost all speakers akin to the noise cancelling headphones. It could replace those ugly spikes that make holes in our floors. Both ideas are quite practical as is the OP's idea. Whether there's a market for them is another story.
They may be too practical to appeal to the audiophools.o_O

Last edited:

Eurasian

Forum Donor
The BACCH system attempts this by using a head tracking camera or IR tracking. I have not had great luck with it, though, as my glasses seem to confuse the camera.

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The possibilities are limitless.
Sounds great :), let the brainstorming continue!
I feel the audio market with conventional gear is somehow overcrowded already, we have to invent new ideas struggling companies can materialize :)
The great level of available technology is there to service!

Top Bottom