• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Waldrep In Trouble AGAIN

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate what this guy did or is doing but he’s bloody naive to think they would have no issue with it, especially considering the clandestine way he went about things.

You take what is equivalent of an audio detective ( I would put speaker designers in this category also ), invite them to not only simply attend, but INFORM, why would anyone be shocked they came mic'd up?

I would expect it.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
NO CHATHAM HOUSE?

I have been to meetings that practice the Chatham House rules:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_House_Rule

I don’t think any such rules are used in audio societies?

It’s good form to tell participants about the rules beforehand.

However, even under Chatham Rules participants can report from the meeting as long as participants are held anonymous.

And in absence of Chatham, if you suspect and then uncover mischief, don’t you have an ethical responsibility to warn others about the mischief?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am rather with the Duke of Wellington in this. Publish and be damned! If Mark Waldrep discovered evidence of malpractice, snake-oil even, he was right to publish and be damned of the consequences. Right will always out.

S.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I’m 39 a spring chicken compared to you old bastards ..

I think "young colt" would be more appropriate. In contrast to the old mare, stallion, and horse's arse (some overlap of the latter two) comprising my household these days. :)

I was going to comment on the repeated underwear references that seem to be going 'round these days on ASR but I'm trying to eat lunch...

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was going to comment on the repeated underwear references that seem to be going 'round these days on ASR but I'm trying to eat lunch...

Hey, don't get your panties in a bunch.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I appreciate what this guy did or is doing but he’s bloody naive to think they would have no issue with it, especially considering the clandestine way he went about things.
I'm not sure I'd call it clandestine. I read over at CA a member of LAOCAS said it is considered SOP for guys to be walking around with lapel mikes, etc. So I don't know what he was supposed to do, wave his hands in the very beginning and announce he was recording?
As far as Bobs reaction to the public release, I'd think it understandable he'd be mad, but it should be more towards the presenter than the reporter.. But as I'm now learning Bob Levi is a ultra subjective believer and promoter.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Newman

Major Contributor
Did something happen to Mark Waldrep? His blog site seems to have disappeared. No idea when: I hadn’t visited for ages.

Maybe he simply retired, not just from work, but from audio discussion?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Maybe he simply retired, not just from work, but from audio discussion?
I know he was retiring to some extent, said he would produce no new recordings under the AIX label.
The AIX recording site is still up but I can't find the blog either. :(
Too bad if that goes away, he has been another voice for sanity in the Hi Fi community.
I think he's just disgusted with the way he's been treated by the community for his sinful acts of truth telling.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The latest snapshot on the wayback machine is from 19 Oct 2021 and the latest post there is from 15 Apr 2021.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still get periodic emails from him but seems like it's been a few months since I've gotten one.

Newman

Major Contributor
The latest snapshot on the wayback machine is from 19 Oct 2021 and the latest post there is from 15 Apr 2021.
Thanks, and I see the last post was anti-MQA.

I remember he once got a cease and desist from a lawyer, IIRC from some cable company?

Perhaps he found himself actually being sued and said "I'm out".

Pity. I enjoyed his opinions and also the few recordings I bought.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He was writing another book, hopefully that is still going ahead. He spent years calling out charlatans and scammers and he displayed his integrity by accepting the results of his listening test experiment on high-res music. That was a big thing for Mark as he was previously a cheerleader for high-res music, he deserves the highest respect for that. Hopefully his absence just signifies he is enjoying life.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got the latest update, he has had a terrible year and has been through hell. Here's hoping things improve for him in 2022.

Newman

Major Contributor
Yes I got that a couple of days ago. I feel for him.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just read it. He has been to hell and back. Hopefully the future is brighter than the past and present for him.
Amen, I really felt bad for him. I've been there a couple times and know exactly how it feels.
Mark's one of the good guys and I hope 2022 goes better for him.
cent' anni Mark

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Amen, I really felt bad for him. I've been there a couple times and know exactly how it feels.
Mark's one of the good guys and I hope 2022 goes better for him.
cent' anni Mark
Feel really sorry for Mark, told it as he saw (heard) it, there is a trend in Society to No-Platform anyone who has a conflicting view. Subscribing to HiFi magazines for many years can make you cynical about subjective HiFi journalism. The summaries quite often don’t match the reviews, in one magazine the summary usually says ‘One of the Best’ reading the full article tells a different story. Read a review of a DAC circa £3k+. it was given a highly commended label. When you read the review the USB type B input was slated, in a DAC of that price! Seems it‘s a back scratching exercise between the magazines and the makers.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am not on his email list, could someone post it or a link to reach Mark? He and I have corresponded now and then but I couldn't find our last note, probably a year or two ago.

Top Bottom