• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Porzilli ‘The Note’ Line Array

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Bjorn are you going to manufacture a CBT design alongside your horns?
Best,
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
MKR you liked the Credo line arrays didn’t you?
Just wondering how different or rather what was different from the ‘Notes’ ( apart from 6x price)
Keith
Yea, I liked them a lot. The soundstage was massive, incredible dynamics, imaging precise, bass that plumbed the depths, very flat response best I could tell. I really heard nothing incorrect. Musicians right there in the room, one of the best portrayals of a live performance I have heard. The Notes were none of these things.

benanders

I heard these at AXPONA … meh, not impressed, but nice soundstage, as you would expect. And wasn‘t aware of the cost. Sorry, but $32k for these? That is ridiculous

“…when you hear my The Note loudspeaker it might be a shock, because you are hearing the music, not the speaker. It might necessitate an adjustment but with a little listening time you will understand.”
Per the horse’s mouth on:

Seems you must work on your listening and understanding, @MKR ;)

benanders

If it's traditional line array the drivers will not sum, which leads destructive inteference. With the CBT technology the drivers do sum up to a certain point in frequency depending on the driver size.

View attachment 281307

Thanks for condensing those graphics, @Bjorn .

Interestingly, the CBT came in two flavors, for those who don’t recall: one had a second line of tweeters down the baffle.

I suspect “detail” or whatever was noticed to be lacking in The Note line array at AXPONA could be attributable to loss of high frequencies from the 2” full-range drivers, no?
The claim of DEQX and similar processing being unable to replace what was never there to start with should hold true in the case of these speakers: EQ ‘til the end of days, but it might not make up for loss of high frequencies in oversized drivers.

@MKR comments read like a condensed version of the reviews for the full-range driver version of the CBT, if memory serves.

benanders

Not that there's anything wrong with SVS but there's something funny to me about selling a pair of fancy $32k bespoke speakers with an included good value bang-for-the-buck subwoofer from a completely unrelated brand. I'm sure it works great but I'd imagine it raises an eyebrow or two among the target audience.

The LF concern seems reasonable, and I suspect could be an issue in real world applications.

Crunching specs for The Note:
driver SA = 150”^2 per channel; for one recommended SVS sub = 133”^2.
Compared to any conventional full range speaker, the low frequency SA : mid-high frequencies SA ratio seems skewed. This could be a particular problem given the sub(s) need to reach up to at least 180 Hz - some wavelengths / half-lengths in that range should be shorter than room boundaries will properly couple, no?

Also - beefy black ash cubes to pair with ergonomic slim white aluminum?
The extruded aluminum frame x driver arrangement makes me imagine a hybrid of the Carver ALS and the Keele CBT, both of which received generally lukewarm subjective reviews and both of which were priced FAR BELOW $32K.

Apologies for multiple comments / queries back-to-back on this.
These critters were of interest and I appreciate you guys discussing them.

MKR

Major Contributor
“…when you hear my The Note loudspeaker it might be a shock, because you are hearing the music, not the speaker. It might necessitate an adjustment but with a little listening time you will understand.”
Per the horse’s mouth on:

Seems you must work on your listening and understanding, @MKR ;)
Yeah, guess I don’t have golden ears, will have to work on that :p

pollock0424

Only 3200$ lol ;) :D
20231231_113507.jpg

I want 5 more pairs and I can start experimenting with power tapering and various impedance combinations. I just finished reading this white paper. The goal is to get near field reaponse from 150hz to 20khz for distances upto 10ft. This array is currently at 5ft height. I can probably use this as is upto 3.5 to 4khz without any comb filtering issues but adding planar ribbon tweeters will be a latter part.

Screenshot_20231230_195734_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

20240101_101428.jpg

Attachments

• 20231231_113507.jpg
    20231231_113507.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom