• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson No 5909 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 28.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 88 46.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 13.2%

• Total voters

Hephaestus

It’s a shame to hear already problems :( I’ve had mine for a few months with no issues so far, but I only use mine in the house for about an hour a day so they don’t get heavy use. You would expect as these are aimed at mobile use they would be tough.
I hope ML sort yours out on the warranty.
Kev
Good news - I got brand new replacement. Let's hope that these bring years of joy!

BTW:
I found recent Digital Trends review of ML 5909 where the reviewer noticed similarities with Master & Dynamic MW75 headphones and reached out to both companies for comments:
"I’m not bringing the MW75 into this review on a whim, or just for a comparison to another pricey, high-end set of wireless headphones. Their shape, weight, headband and slider construction, driver size and materials, and plenty of other characteristics are either identical — or so close they may as well be. I reached out to both companies for their comments. Master & Dynamic declined to comment, while a spokesperson for Harman Luxury Audio acknowledged that the two products come from the same original design manufacturer (ODM)."
Source : Digital Trends

Last edited:

lordhumungous

Been living with the AKG N700NC M2 for 5 days now. Both out of the box and EQ'd I enjoy them more than the 5909. No treble harshness, no excessive brightness, and bass is better. Not end-game by any means, but certainly my new go-to non-wired headphone when I prioritize enjoyable sound over ANC.

Like the 5909, the AKG noise canceling has similarly mediocre performance vs. the Sony lineup going back to at least the xm2.

The 5909 price/performance is shameful given the existence of the more enjoyable N700NC M2 at 10% of the cost.

I long to be freed of wires and desktop amps for quality audio. I wish someone would make a Bluetooth headphone with high quality codecs, and top tier audiophile performance (Hd800s or similar, Dan Clarke stealth, etc.) and built-in peq to dial in the tonality.

Dear headphone manufacturers, we're waiting for you to get serious about wireless headphone performance...

Edit: to be clear, I find the N700NC M2 to be a truly enjoyable headphone, and the most enjoyable wireless headphone I've experienced by a wide margin.
If they could make a ANC wireless headphone version with close to the same audio quality as the HD800s that i could use for travel ,I'd be frothing at the mouth to buy them. I do think the very best ANC wireless headphones are yet to come, probably over the next 2 -3 years.

Last edited:

lordhumungous

I would like to thanks the folks here that recommended the AKG NC700NC M2 ! I bought a pair off ebay for around 160 dollars and they are fantastic . What a great price for this type of performance. I only wish i cold get a little more volume out of them but for 160 that is really nit picking.

CedarX

Forum Donor
It looks like the AKG N700NC M2 version is no longer produced (chip shortage?), which could causes the high prices on eBay. The older, non-M2, AKG N700NC is currently on sale at AKG.com for $99.99.
I got an almost-new M2 at $52 on eBay a few months ago. It does sound great, but I’m not overly impressed with the build quality: both sides of the headband are already cracked near the extension/folding:
0D6A5A48-67FC-46DD-89D6-5506DE625FA5.jpeg

The Harman Kardon Fly ANC is another eBay option: it appears to be a (much) better built AKG N700NC (non-M2). I bought an open box for $99.99. It also sounds great but around the house, I just can get away from my 5909 :cool::cool::cool:
This was another eBay purchase: almost-new $600. Rationally, it’s not worth the $$ difference compared to the AKG.,. But I just love it !!! :)

metasharp

inputs from people who own/ed or listen/ed to 5909 are welcome here:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the AKG N700NC M2 version is no longer produced (chip shortage?), which could causes the high prices on eBay. The older, non-M2, AKG N700NC is currently on sale at AKG.com for $99.99.
I got an almost-new M2 at $52 on eBay a few months ago. It does sound great, but I’m not overly impressed with the build quality: both sides of the headband are already cracked near the extension/folding:View attachment 241148
The Harman Kardon Fly ANC is another eBay option: it appears to be a (much) better built AKG N700NC (non-M2). I bought an open box for $99.99. It also sounds great but around the house, I just can get away from my 5909 :cool::cool::cool:
This was another eBay purchase: almost-new $600. Rationally, it’s not worth the $$ difference compared to the AKG.,. But I just love it !!! :)
You're saying the 5909 is a lot better than than the N700NC M2?

CedarX

Forum Donor
You're saying the 5909 is a lot better than than the N700NC M2?
Objectively no, it’s not “a lot better”… I find the 5909 more comfortable and (much) better built than the N700NC M2. They both subjectively sound great with no EQ. The 5909 may be “better” overall, but certainly not worth the price difference. What I can’t resist is the attractiveness of a well-built object… I always end up with the sexy 5909 on my head!

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone advise which FR graph corresponds to listening in Bluetooth wireless mode? I'm confused.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone advise which FR graph corresponds to listening in Bluetooth wireless mode? I'm confused.
I don't think any are. The digital input was wired. I'm not sure any of the wireless capable 'phones tested here have been tested over BT.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning

0dB compared the two but I believe that wired was in passive mode, the other one active, so not a ceteris paribus comparison : https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&page=2&document_srl=2410105

The most important difference sound-wise for the ML5909 probably is less wired vs bluetooth, but feedback mechanism on vs off, when it's on a real human head. That's the variation in response across a few individuals measured with blocked ear canal entrance mics (not directly comparable in absolute terms to eardrum measurements past a few hundred Hz) :
Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 09.20.01.png

Below 200Hz most individuals experienced them in a way that is nothing like what most ear simulator measurements look like.

When the feedback mechanism is turned on, the bass response up to a few hundred Hz should be closer to what the ear simulator measured - at least that's the case for me : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...se-use-of-the-harman-curve.29633/post-1093475

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Golfing panther for me. Been listening to the 5909's for a few weeks. Added a little EQ (based on Sean Olive's published measurements). I like them better than my DCA Stealth's. Go Harman!

Slunce

Mechanical quality of these headphones seems to be somewhat questionable:
-Leather started to peel off from the headband (glue joint failed)
-Headband mechanism has started to creak (Unit Amir tested had creaking headband as well..)
-ANC mic(s) began to create "crackling" sound in one of the earcups when moving/turning head
-No fix for the Head-on detection delivered yet

I had to file warranty claim. Really sad :(
Hello,

can I ask you, did the crackling develop at certain moment or did you experience it from the beginning? I am asking since I too experience crackling when moving my head from side to side when ANC is on. It is annoying since it happens often in normal usage. I am not sure if it makes sense to return it and hunt for a pair without this phenomena.

It is most prominent when good seal is achieved. Also, left side is significantly more crackling than right in my case, not sure why is it so.

Did you hear anything back or how was you warranty addressed?

Thanks!!
Petr

20to20K

Mechanical quality of these headphones seems to be somewhat questionable:
-Leather started to peel off from the headband (glue joint failed)
-Headband mechanism has started to creak (Unit Amir tested had creaking headband as well..)
-ANC mic(s) began to create "crackling" sound in one of the earcups when moving/turning head
-No fix for the Head-on detection delivered yet

I had to file warranty claim. Really sad :(
Same issue...leather started to peel from the headband after just 4 months. Just shipped mine back via warranty for a replacement. Funny...when I called the customer service number to file my claim, the rep seemed COMPLETELY unsurprised by the reason. She almost had an undertone in her voice of: "Oh geez...not ANOTHER one of these again". Hopefully this is something that is being addressed via follow-up quality control as I have no other complaints about the cans other than the well documented horrible performance of the "Head-on detection" feature. Can't understand why this works so poorly. The $150 Sony's I use to exercise with does this flawlessly.

Attachments

• headphones_damage_color.jpg
    headphones_damage_color.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 111

Kevbaz

Just an update on my experience with the 5909. Had them nearly two years now and still use them daily wired on my RME DAC, and occasionally wireless.
No issues with build, battery or app. Still sound really good. I’m keen to see if this get a revision/ update from ML, is they do I would buy again if they fix the below issue with regards serviceability.
Only negative is, should the battery fail it cannot be replaced. I can use totally passive, but then as a wireless headphone it’s dead.
Apple, B&O all offer battery replacement and repairs, ML don’t which is. Shame.
Kev

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just an update on my experience with the 5909. Had them nearly two years now and still use them daily wired on my RME DAC, and occasionally wireless.
No issues with build, battery or app. Still sound really good. I’m keen to see if this get a revision/ update from ML, is they do I would buy again if they fix the below issue with regards serviceability.
Only negative is, should the battery fail it cannot be replaced. I can use totally passive, but then as a wireless headphone it’s dead.
Apple, B&O all offer battery replacement and repairs, ML don’t which is. Shame.
Kev
Is it possible to crack it open and then solder a new battery in or something?

Kevbaz

Is it possible to crack it open and then solder a new battery in or something?
I’m not sure, worst case I can check on YouTube if there are any guidance on how to do it. I hope ML offer this on future version of the headphone given many of its competitors do on headphones costing less.
Kev

Top Bottom