• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson No 360S DAC Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Celty

Looked pretty good for 1999. Would be interesting to see how the current Levinson models have advanced.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , When do the No 53's get blueprinted ???
Unknown. They can easily smoke my dummy loads. And they are beyond heavy (135 pounds each). I may measure the No 532 but at 120 pounds, it too is a monster.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unknown. They can easily smoke my dummy loads. And they are beyond heavy (135 pounds each). I may measure the No 532 but at 120 pounds, it too is a monster.
I've oftened wondered what you are using for loads. They must be beasty and difficult to obtain. What are they?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've oftened wondered what you are using for loads. They must be beasty and difficult to obtain. What are they?
You can get cheap high power dummy loads but they will only be good for SINAD up to 105 dB or so. Above that the resistors themselves generate distortion! There are very few options for ultra-low distortion (low "VCR") resistors. Dale makes one of the best ones. They cost $150 each (and you need four) but they are very hard to find for some reason. I bought the British Arcol brand that was half the price for similar performance. Each one is one pound or more in weight and quite large. The four I have are in a rack mount chassis that is 2 RU.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get cheap high power dummy loads but they will only be good for SINAD up to 105 dB or so. Above that the resistors themselves generate distortion! There are very few options for ultra-low distortion (low "VCR") resistors. Dale makes one of the best ones. They cost $150 each (and you need four) but they are very hard to find for some reason. I bought the British Arcol brand that was half the price for similar performance. Each one is one pound or more in weight and quite large. The four I have are in a rack mount chassis that is 2 RU.
I've owned the 250W 4R Dale load resisters that I mounted onto a old car amp heatsink and those where unobtanium and that's why I was so curious. Nice setup >@^_*@<

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning

My old #336 is 150lbs. Keeps getting heavier every year. Can't imagine the #33's @ 300+lbs each.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They are both upstairs fortunately but neither is very portable.

Get a decent dolly to move the amps. Cheap and saves your back. I use them for moving boxes of stuff and really heavy gear. (this was an SX-1980- 34Kg)

sx-1980.jpeg

This type of thing (in the US of course):

1578807452601.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Get a decent dolly to move the amps. Cheap and saves your back. I use them for moving boxes of stuff and really heavy gear.
Thanks. I have the ones that are open in the middle but this type seems much nicer. I just bought one from Amazon.

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
Amir,

The Matrix will be like a Windex treatment. Enjoy! I thoroughly enjoy mine...and have been recommending the Element “i”, Topping D90 and Sabaj D5 to newbies but my allegiance is to Matrix Audio. In my workshop, the Orchard Audio PecanPi plays tunes 24/7. Need to get that up to the main rig for a comparo.

Best,
Anand.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thanks. I have the ones that are open in the middle but this type seems much nicer. I just bought one from Amazon.

Just know those wheels are like roller blade wheels- no riding down the hill Jackass style OK? ;)

Or like this guy:

Or these guys. Insane:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It's good to see high end brands provide high end performance (taken into account it's hardware from 20 years ago).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's good to see high end brands provide high end performance (taken into account it's hardware from 20 years ago).

Not just high end boutique brands of 20 years ago...

I'm currently trying to test some medium to TOTL preamplifiers from Sony, Denon, Accuphase and Yamaha in my collection and the THD in all of them is below 0.0003% (-110dB). They are all 5 to 10 times better than their published THD spec. The only thing separating them is how much low end (mains 50Hz) and its harmonics, and even that is 100dB down.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Not just high end boutique brands of 20 years ago...

I'm currently trying to test some medium to TOTL preamplifiers from Sony, Denon, Accuphase and Yamaha in my collection and the THD in all of them is below 0.0003% (-110dB). They are all 5 to 10 times better than their published THD spec. The only thing separating them is how much low end (mains 50Hz) and its harmonics, and even that is 100dB down.
Just Japanese things I guess :D

YSC

Major Contributor
May I ask for the capacitor went bad, I assume those are quality Japanese ones but did it went bad after stored in shelve for a long time or dead while using? Also I am really curious what will be the symptom of such dead caps, be it no sound at the said channel or some strange noise?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When this was made computer audio had yet to take over and optical drives had good DACs. Built in CD player DACs had achieved audible transparency and perfectly good performance long before the mid 90's I think. My own CD player is an early 90's Sony ES model which Ken Rockwell tested the same model (not my actual machine!) and gave a thumbs up.

firedog

Maybe you should get a Bricasti DAC for review if someone can send you one. The principals used to work at ML, the designs have some similarity, and also look similar. Their stuff is quite boutique and very pricey, though. It would be an interesting comparison.

Top Bottom