• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson mixer/preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

Alain

or maybe, this is the unit Mark stole the modules from to make the LNP-1,
it then set around the backroom for years until donated to UofC while cleaning out the rats nest.
or maybe, this is the unit Mark stole the modules from to make the LNP-1,
it then set around the backroom for years until donated to UofC while cleaning out the rats nest.

OP
A

Alain

Rats nest? Are you for real? This mixer is of historical importance and extremely rare. Just because you don't own it, and have not seen even a picture of it, it does't mean that it is not of any historical importance. There is no reason for language like this.

Last edited:

waltzingbear

?? you clearly don't understand the back room of most people who make things. It has nothing to do with importance or anything else, My shop has lots of carcasses that have been cannibalized for other projects. This may have been one of those, if anything it enhances your unit if true.

Rare, yes, there were only 4 made. Because it was a failure as a product. Which has nothing to do with anything except the cheapness of film production at the time. It makes noise? Print it.

I did look at it and saw there was nothing there of interest, I could have bid $250 and outbid you, so what.

Cheers
Alan

OP
A

Alain

?? you clearly don't understand the back room of most people who make things. It has nothing to do with importance or anything else, My shop has lots of carcasses that have been cannibalized for other projects. This may have been one of those, if anything it enhances your unit if true.

Rare, yes, there were only 4 made. Because it was a failure as a product. Which has nothing to do with anything except the cheapness of film production at the time. It makes noise? Print it.

I did look at it and saw there was nothing there of interest, I could have bid $250 and outbid you, so what.

Cheers
You're full of it and you know it. You don't deserve to be on this web side. Who do you thing you are - big looser I suppose? I don't need you stupid advise. I've got the best collection of audio equipment in the US. What did you get? Boss stereo I guess? I feel sorry for you man.

OP
A

Alain

Woodstock is a failure, the Baez movie is a failure, Mark Levinson is a failure, Dick Burwen is a Failure? Who do you think you are - Jesus of audio authority? Please, don't give any advise for things you don't have any clues about it. I need the facts, not ignorant opinion.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I think you're reading way too much into it. Makes sense to me (finding it in the rat's nest). I found a lot of neat old treasures in the basement of our EE department back in college when they cleaned it out. Heaven knows what the kids will find in ours when they clean out the house after we are gone.

I have a vague memory of an LNP-1 that was nothing like the LNP-2, his first commercial preamp, but my memory is very foggy on this. I'd guess the LNP-1 and/or other pro stuff couldn't compete with the pro audio gear already in use at the time so he switched to the consumer market. Does not mean it was worse, may have been better, maybe even a lot better, but not the direction ML chose to pursue. I agree with @waltzingbear that you may have a very rare item. The original Philbrick op-amp is a terribly clunky design by today's standards but I'd love to have one.

I sooo wish I had paid more attention to Mark when he came by the store I worked to set things up when they picked up the line. He gave a little talk about his background and goals; that was probably around 1980, when I knew it all, and his stuff was way over my budget. I don't remember much of it, and at that time I was the tech kid in the back and not on the sales floor.

Anyway, I don't have any more facts than anyone else so far, and don't need more grief in my life, moving on.

waltzingbear

Yes Don, you get what I was saying. This other fellow?? not so much
Lots of backrooms get given to college electronics departments, you should have seen some of the stuff Tek gave to Portland State over the years.

Cheers
Alan

OP
A

Alain

Lots of backrooms get given to college electronics departments, you should have seen some of the stuff Tek gave to Portland State over the years.

Cheers
Alan
Let me tell you something about "the other fellow"....
"The other fellow" has been collecting for over 50 years and most likely has the most rare and exiting equipment in the industry.
For example: 1938 RCA MI-9355 with 845 output tubes amplifiers; Raytheon MR-10 mono amplifier from 1945 (most likely the only pair in the world); Ballantyne XS460 amplifiers from 1954; Nagra T-1 reel to reel; Studer C37 1" tape, tube reel to reel - modified by Tim de Paravicini for the world renowned recording engineer Kavi Alexander. Studer A80 Reel to reel; Stellavox reel to reel; Tannoy GRF 15" Silver dual concentric speakers; Beverage electrostatic speakers; WE and Jensen field coiled speakers; Garrard 301 and these are only the tip of the iceberg items from the priceless collection. In addition, "the other fellow" had sold over $4000000.00 of rare vintage equipment. How about you? Like I said earlier, most likely Bose stuff.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alain

Cheers
Alan
No everyone is cheep like you....you should have bid more like $5000.00 for this rare and historically important LNP-1 preamp/mixer.

OP
A

Alain

Cheers
Alan
You didn't see anything of interest because you don't know much.

OP
A

Alain

Cheers
Alan
For your information this "other fellow" got ML LNP-1 preamplifier/mixer.....

OP
A

Alain

Geez I feel like I've stepped into a 8th grader squabble , really with all that's going on in the world can we not just grow up a bit here.

Shocking .
Geez I feel like I've stepped into a 8th grader squabble , really with all that's going on in the world can we not just grow up a bit here.

Shocking .

Shocking .
Tomas,
Have you ever considered the the positive effect of the corona virus? Solving the problem with the Global Warming: Lower gas prices and energy cost; weakening Saudi Arabia and the "eval empire"- Soviet Union; bringing humans closer together; more funds for the advancement in the medical field; preventing second term for Donald J. Trump and therefore global catastrophe. Yes, some of us might die in the process, but we would not be instinct if we deal with the global warming of the planet now. This might seems cruel but it is within the realm of possibility.
Did I forget to mention that in the process of dealing with corona virus issue, we will pick up a better habits of washing our hands more often.
And if you're one of the crazy conservative, you should be happy with the problem solving of over population and maybe Social Security money shortages in this country.
By the way take your silly picture from your profile and stop acting like a 2nd grader, who gives advises to the 8th graders.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
By the way take your silly picture from your profile and stop acting like a 2nd grader, who gives advises to the 8th graders.

images (25).jpeg

chris0202

What’s the point arguing over emotional value.

BTW it seems opinions on ML nowadays is mixed.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone be banned from their own thread?

@Alain friend I think your last post was too much. Maybe one of those you look at a 2nd time, and then just delete. It is off topic so relax a bit and delete the post is my suggestion.

OP
A

Alain

What’s the point arguing over emotional value.

BTW it seems opinions on ML nowadays is mixed.
The point is that I simply asked the forum for identifying rare ML equipment and instead I've got strong derogative responses from members who don't have any idea of the equipment in question. There are a lot of egomaniacs on the forum with lack of knowledge and understanding of significant historical audio equipment: lack of experience; lake of understanding; lack of compassion; lack of appreciation for history; lack of communicating with facts; lack of appreciation for outstanding electronic designers from the past; It's idiotic to elaborate on equipment sound quality when you didn't even know of its existence and more so, I have never asked for any critics or review of it. It's not only unethical, but moronic as well.

Last edited:

oldsysop

I'll just say I don't pay even $ 20 for that.
And I hope not to be attacked for saying that I buy and that I don't buy.
This ASR and I'm interested in how things are measured, not their emotional / subjective value.
For that there are other forums.

My 2 cents.

OP
A

Alain

This ASR and I'm interested in how things are measured, not their emotional / subjective value.

My 2 cents.

My 2 cents.
What is wrong with you people? No body is asking you for your evaluation and estimate. Forum name "Sansui" - are you for real? What possible knowledge one can get from someone with forum name after one of the junkiest audio company from Japan. In addition, no hi end company today or critical reviewer goes by measurements anymore, when it comes to quality sound. Your knowledge must be frozen from 40 years ago when fundamentalist were lying with numbers. One cannot critic sound quality by looking at the scope - we don't listen with our eyes. Please, get updated with up today science before speak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom