• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson 5909, new ANC wireless cans that advertise use of the Harman curve

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still via Bluetooth connection I'd imagine.
To be hoped so. Bose qc35 doesn't seem to be controlable by the app /bt with the wire in. So you are stuck with either full passive (horrid FR) or ANC on high of you switch the power on (high hiss, not great for ambient awareness)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Presumably made in China per the FCC labelling :
View attachment 177513

But I'm not certain that I understand this fixation for the "made in x" label given how modern goods are produced anyway. It's a rather meaningless thing to me.

I rather hope that they're made well to tight tolerances, and I can see that being entirely feasible when they're made in China, just as poorly toleranced products can make their way out of US factories.
Who cares it is produced in China. All electronics are made in mainland China apart from the absolute top tier of chips (Desktop/laptop CPUs and GPUs).

With regards to people talking about bluetooth quality: if you are using it wireless you probably also want ANC due to the environment you are in. At home just plug in the cable.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeh, saw that earlier today. Hopefully someone steps up to buy one for testing. It would be nice to have a $1000 headphone with Harman curve compliance.
The Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 Noire also?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Hope its all real leather, because fake leather falls apart after longer use.

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
To be hoped so. Bose qc35 doesn't seem to be controlable by the app /bt with the wire in. So you are stuck with either full passive (horrid FR) or ANC on high of you switch the power on (high hiss, not great for ambient awareness)
The goal was to make the frequency response of the headphone the same in all ANC modes whether BT or wired (analog in) with no battery. So there is no "horrid" frequency response in passive mode with this headphone. BT mode simply has less HF above 16kHz depending on the audio CODEC and that is entirely due to the CODEC>

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The goal was to make the frequency response of the headphone the same in all ANC modes whether BT or wired (analog in) with no battery. So there is no "horrid" frequency response in passive mode with this headphone. BT mode simply has less HF above 16kHz depending on the audio CODEC and that is entirely due to the CODEC>
Nice. Now who is going to lend me about $950?

Kevbaz

Is it possible to connect this to an external DAC/headphone amp such as RME ADI2 and bypass any active circuits in the headphone allowing me to use the EQ on the RMe DAC.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Thread Notice: Absolutely zero political content is permitted. Off topic and political posts deleted and a couple reply bans handed out. If your post was deleted consider that a warning and stop or move on. Please and thank you. If you ask me Why was my post deleted? Expect an immediate Warning! You guys know better.

Carry On!..

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Made him irresistible to Kim Cattrall. ;)
Mark didn't write too much documentation for his preamp. Just plug it in and turn it on. Much different with Kim's documentation, which was book length! But the basic idea was the same. :cool:

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Is it possible to connect this to an external DAC/headphone amp such as RME ADI2 and bypass any active circuits in the headphone allowing me to use the EQ on the RMe DAC.
Yes. I am using my ML No 5909 connected to my ML 519 music player this way. Although I am not using EQ I could use Roon to EQ the headphone.

IMG_4385.jpeg

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Doesn’t the noise cancelling happen in the digital domain?
Yes, If you want to listen to the headphone using the analog in without going through the headphone DAC you have to listen in passive mode.

Kevbaz

Yes. I am using my ML No 5909 connected to my ML 519 music player this way. Although I am not using EQ I could use Roon to EQ the headphone.

View attachment 178753
Thanks Sean, looking forward to trying these out. Sounds like a headphone I can use on the go with iPhone, at my desk on Macbook and in my listening room via my RME which is great from a single headphone.
Cheers
Kevin

tknx

I wonder what the build quality will be in hand. It doesn’t look that impressive in pictures as compared to the Max and Montblanc.

I really would like headphones that have built in support for EQ curves or are at least well tuned out of the gate.

Abohir

Wow, the No 5909 will look ugly.

But anything tuned under the Harman brand with an effort enough to work with a Berryllium coating to push the resonance frequency beyind the hearing range, seems promising.

Any on-hands reviews of it?

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder what the build quality will be in hand. It doesn’t look that impressive in pictures as compared to the Max

Pictures can be deceiving :D. I've had quite a few QC/QA issues with the Airpods Max, all related to the "think different" parts of the design (pivot mechanism, buttons/aluminium earcup assembly, canopy, etc.) - your typical Apple gen 1 issues. Not really because they're poorly built, far from it, but rather because they require tight tolerances to even work (the design is quite intolerant to insufficiently tight tolerances, ex, the canopy's spring is dependent on the strands being precisely aligned relative to the headband as the mesh's elasticity is not omnidirectionally constant, or the pivot mechanism simply being maybe the most complex mechanical part ever put into a pair of headphones ?) or are annoying to assemble (the earcup's design prevents some parts such as the mics / buttons to be easily stacked on top of each others like most of the audio components can be and require a fairly complex set of supports and brackets inside the aluminium cups).

What I hope is that the 5909 is built to tolerances good enough for what the design requires to properly work :D. I'm delighted to see that they seem to have a fairly conventional design to start with.

Any on-hands reviews of it?

Not reviews but two promotional videos :

A quick report from CES :

I've been told by their distributor here in France that they'll arrive in early February and should make their way to retailers during that month. Perhaps actual reviews will start to appear at that time.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting results : https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...909-bluetooth-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

The passive results seem quite weird for this sort of design without something extra in the path at some point.
For the ANC on results I wish we had more info on how the tests were conducted.
Also surprisingly different from the AKG K371 which is also supposed to be close to the Harman target, hope though that one of the other known resources will measure them too as I don't like the representation Brent Butterworth uses in his reviews. Here is also his corresponding review test

Top Bottom