• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson 5909, new ANC wireless cans that advertise use of the Harman curve

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, saw that earlier today. Hopefully someone steps up to buy one for testing. It would be nice to have a $1000 headphone with Harman curve compliance.

mugbot

Forum Donor
A pity they couldn't manage a better folding design, the family pie sized case is my least favourite feature of my Shure Aonic 50's and the case for these looks similar.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exploded view :
Les-ecouteurs-Mark-Levinson-de-Harman-sont-deux-fois-plus.jpeg

Seems like a fairly conventional design mics-wise (no dual feedback / tuning mics like on Harman's Trunote headphones, that experiment seems to have been discontinued for a while).

The FCC application (internal photos available in a few months I guess) : https://fccid.io/APIMLNO5909

Please let them be good. I'm desperate for a pair of modern wireless over-ears that I actually like, not merely tolerate.

Kevbaz

MayaTlab

nice to see they mention use of Harman target

The big question mark for me is : can Harman actually deliver on my head, with the one sample that I'll own, their own target ? While I have no possibility of exactly knowing what the Harman target sounds or measures like on my head above 800Hz (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ancelling-headphone.25609/page-13#post-995729), even below where I can rely on ANC headphones to provide a direct comparison with ear simulators and where in situ measurements are quite easy and reliable, so far the answer is : not really (and probably not above either).

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The product details look great. https://www.marklevinson.com/products/headphones/MLNO5909AM.html nice to see they mention use of Harman target, and use of science/research in the development of these. I do hope these are good and measure well. Also at $1000 hopefully they will be well made also.
Kev
I'd be quite surprised if they are not well made. But I've been surprised before.

The Harmonic Curve has been debated to death, but why these should not match that, given that ML is a subsidiary of Samsung Harman? It is to be expected. Or should be.

If it was a McIntosh headphone, it would be just as expensive, but have green LEDs, for visual effect. I don't know if you can stick a tube in a headphone, though. Someone should try that.

Trouble Maker

A pity they couldn't manage a better folding design, the family pie sized case is my least favourite feature of my Shure Aonic 50's and the case for these looks similar.

As someone who tries to travel as minimally as reasonably possible but still have the functionality I want, case volume VS the QC25's has been a struggle when looking at newer ANC headphones.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A pity they couldn't manage a better folding design
I like the rotating cups design better than a folding headband. A shallow package with some length and width is easier to pack in a briefcase next to laptop and whatever paper files than a bulgy package. Honestly that's the only thing I like better about my older travel cans (NAD Viso HP70) than my newer ones (AKG 700NCM2). The AKGs sound better, but if NAD could connect to multiple devices as AKG can I would have stuck with them.

That brings me one notable omission in the specs I've seen: ability to pair with more than one device. Three is ideal IMO (work laptop, phone, home laptop). Perhaps it does have that functionality, as the above AKGs do. If so they should advertise it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As with every other wireless ANC headphones the graphs don't help much unless you know what configuration it represents.

Any I've encountered have some combo of the following set ups, all of which seem to perform differently from a sound signature perspective :

Wired, no electronics on (passive)
Wired, electronics on, no ANC
Wired, electronics on and at least one ANC mode

Wireless, no ANC
Wireless, at least one ANC mode

And that's before you fiddle with any sound profile DSP

So let's not have a Harmongasm until we know what configuration gets that pretty curve.

Edit - looking at @eddantes post above I'm assuming that's wireless. And it does say neutral DSP, anc off.

Last edited:

eddantes

As with every other wireless ANC headphones the graphs don't help much unless you know what configuration it represents.

Any I've encountered have some combo of the following set ups, all of which seem to perform differently from a sound signature perspective :

Wireless, no ANC

So let's not have a Harmongasm until we know what configuration gets that pretty curve.
1641594842599.png

But perhaps we can impose on @Sean Olive to clarify.

TK750

Wireless, no ANC

I've no interest in ANC or Wireless cans personally but he said no EQ, so presumably you can at least count DSP out =]

Top Bottom