• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson 5909, new ANC wireless cans that advertise use of the Harman curve

Kevbaz

Anyone know where these are made, I would hope at £1000 they are made in USA.
Sounds like thy can be used in analogue mode connected to an external DAC/amp which makes them more flexible for on the go and home use.
Kev

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone know where these are made, I would hope at £1000 they are made in USA.

Presumably made in China per the FCC labelling :
Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 11.23.19.png

But I'm not certain that I understand this fixation for the "made in x" label given how modern goods are produced anyway. It's a rather meaningless thing to me.

I rather hope that they're made well to tight tolerances, and I can see that being entirely feasible when they're made in China, just as poorly toleranced products can make their way out of US factories.

Kevbaz

Normally I don’t care where a product is made, but when a good Harman made headphone which is made in China can be bought sub £200, a harman product marketed as not only sounding good but a luxury product for me it matters where its made.

Also Mark Levinson takes pride in showing their products are designed and hand crafted in USA, I guess as part of the luxury product marketing and branding.

Agree on your point country of origin doesn’t guarantee quality, but when charging £1000 for a luxury headphone I expect more than just good sound.
Kev

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Normally I don’t care where a product is made, but when a good Harman made headphone which is made in China can be bought sub £200, a harman product marketed as not only sounding good but a luxury product for me it matters where its made.

Also Mark Levinson takes pride in showing their products are designed and hand crafted in USA, I guess as part of the luxury product marketing and branding.

Agree on your point country of origin doesn’t guarantee quality, but when charging £1000 for a luxury headphone I expect more than just good sound.
Kev

Made in X is now pretty meaningless anyway, what it generally means is that final assembly and a % of value is attributable to X. In most cases what that means is that a company does final assembly from what is basically a knock down kit in a percieved higher value country such as Germany or Switzerland and because they pay the people doing assembly and QC a lot more than those doing the true manufacturing work it takes them over the value threshold. For example, it's an open secret (i.e. not secret to anyone who takes an interest) that the "Swiss Made" marking on watches means nothing

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too much. But that has nothing to do with lossy Bluetooth codecs. Try ABXing LDAC against lossless. And if you want lossless you can use them wired anyway.
I haven’t realised they can be wired as well. How does the app works when wired? The link on the OP was not detailed.

bt3

An early impression of this headphone:

The review line that stands out for me "But Bluetooth is Bluetooth, and the truth is if you're really serious about your music listening, you're going to do it with a set of wired headphones and not bother with wireless."
I'm not counting on sound quality parity w/wired and wireless headphones anytime soon.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be an odd one out here and say that BT works fine. I am not saying it is completely transparent, but for listening to music as opposed to listening to equipment I have no complaints.

Kevbaz

If these support both Bluetooth and wired, would be interesting to see if there is a way you could do a blind test between blowtorch and wired with them to see if the differences isn’t audible.
Ive never used wireless headphones other than for conf calls so looking forward to seeing how people rate these

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'll be an odd one out here and say that BT works fine.

I'd welcome a better wireless audio implementation than what's currently available with bluetooth (if only for latency issues honestly), but I find the current state of BT audio far less concerning than FR concerns, a problem for which this type of active, ANC headphones can provide interesting solutions passive headphones can't.
As a daily user of a Qudelix 5K, I find its PEQ to provide much greater SQ dividends than the question of using it wireless vs. wired.

Jimmy

I agree, there are still improvements in the pipeline for bluetooth audio, including an upcoming Qualcomm lossless codec (16/44.1, not 24/96, though), and LE audio :

According to Qualcomm their current generation silicon (at least the top of the range), should support it.

But anyway, the quality that can be achieved today with LDAC, APTx, AAC or even SBC with high bit rates is more than enough, and wireless headphones can correct most of their FR aberrations through DSP/EQ, so if the base design is good they can be made to sound pretty good.

The Mark Levinson proposition looks interesting, but quite pricey, I suppose that there's a very nice markup (and 1000$ is the MSRP, so price may fall down the line), and there's currently some hard competition, among others, the Airpods MAX, Aonic 50 (I own these, with the latest firmware and applying hardware EQ they are pretty good), B&O H9 (they started selling for 800€ and now price has fallen to almost half the price), come to mind.

Kevbaz

Will be interested no to see if after this they release a wired only version without ANC that would be cheaper or any other headphones.
Kev

Top Bottom