• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Knopfler Shows How it is Done on the Guitar

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Completely self-taught.

I remember trying the guitar when I was 8 or 10 years old and finding it so difficult just to play a couple of notes. The finger strength and stretch it took was amazing relative to my impression of it.

Ronm1

Mark' s sound was initially quite unique as he applied a picking style when using his electric. Implementing Either a simple Travis or blues to bluegrass pick with an electric. No hard pick on his fingers to give that softer edge or bite.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As it happens, Frank just post another "instructional" video of Tommy Emmanuel which I think nicely compliments the above video from Mark:

Definitely worth a watch.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks Ray
I remember seeing that somewhere else once?
Amazing how they just fall into a incredible jam like that.
Two of the all time greats.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Amazing how they just fall into a incredible jam like that.

It was probably a little promotional appearance for their album "Neck and Neck"

R-1468886-1222028123.jpeg.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As it happens, Frank just post another "instructional" video of Tommy Emmanuel which I think nicely compliments the above video from Mark:

I used to see Tommy Emmanuel live every year in late 80s and early 90s at a Japanese backed Jazz and Blues Festival where I live in Queensland.

I have some very fond memories of lying on the carpet at the very front of the Ballroom next to the stage, watching and listening to Tommy Emmanuel. His recordings on CD were spectacular for the era too. I pretty much have them all, including an amazing live to two track non-stop (side A and side B) cut originally direct to Disc (LP).

I'll dig it out and post the details. Still makes the hairs stand up when I hear it.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Love the music of Knopfler. Sailing to Philadelphia and it’s end has to be one of the best music ever recorded... :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The live sound of Direstraits is something to behold. Incredibly loud and clean.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes I have that CD.
Listening to it now on Spotify, heard it mentioned before but never had the chance.
Great guitar!

The live sound of Direstraits is something to behold. Incredibly loud and clean.
Only saw Dire Straits once back in the 80s during the BiA day.
I do remember they had great sounding PA system.

D700

I continually find a correlation between Knopfler fans and fans of good sounding audio equipment. I’ve been to multiple concerts and own all his recordings...such high craft.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heard Direstraits several times in and around NYC (Long Island) ... Same great sound in all instances, same crushing loudness. I learned quickly to wear ear protection when I go to rock concerts...
I just realized that it was during the late eighties ... 30 years ago ! Man! I am old ! :D

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He can certainly play a guitar, I still think Alchemy is one of the great live albums. Dire Straits were one of those groups that seemed to be better live than in studio recordings (an unusual quality, as many performers groups are pretty reliant on studio wizardry to make them sound tip top) as they seemed to open up and turn it up several notches and they were brilliant performers.

Top Bottom