• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marchand XM44 Analog Active Crossover Review

D

Deleted member 2944

I am going to forward this to Mr. Marchand, who is an engineer himself. Would like to hear his input. ;)
Your unit appears to be operating correctly. I'm not sure why you're disappointed in the results. The results are pretty much what you'd expect with this sort of circuit/board design and power supply type and physical location.

Dave.

gags11

Forum Donor
Your unit appears to be operating correctly. I'm not sure why you're disappointed in the results. The results are pretty much what you'd expect with this sort of circuit/board design and power supply type and physical location.

Dave.

Well, the specs claim harmonic distortion less than 0.001% and SNR better than 110db

John1959

Dave.
This unit was probably state of the art 20-30 years ago. In those days active xover design was not as sophisticated as today. Just an active two or three way system, often 12 dB/octave Butterworth, as an alternative for a passive three way system. With passive filters, which where also a lot less complicated as today is common in good quality speakers. Parts quality was much less, often cheap capacitors and sometimes even ferrite core coils! .
Going active - without all the magnificent fine tuning tools of today - was often a big improvement in sound quality nevertheless. So I went also active those days with a Marchand xover (24 dB/ocave Linkwitz-Riley).

I think the unit nowadays appeals to some kind of analogue purists who don't go with the digital revolution. And probably also prefer the tube versions. I don't know if there are still many around of those guys.

John.

D

Deleted member 2944

I think the unit nowadays appeals to some kind of analogue purists who don't go with the digital revolution. And probably also prefer the tube versions. I don't know if there are still many around of those guys.

John.
Yes, that's exactly correct. The XM-44 is one of their more recent units and a bit more evolved than the earlier crossovers that were state-variable based topologies. But still, extremely limited in capability relative to the DSP-based units now on the market.

There is still a percentage of audiophiles that would never EVER consider to have anything DSP-based in their systems. This sort of unit might appeal to them.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Interesting -- thanks for measuring & posting this!

It might (?!?) be interesting to compare a 'high end' analog XO like this to a decidedly lower-budget (indeed, borderline vintage) XO like the venerable ones made & sold for years (for the pro market) by EV. I doubt they'd do very well -- on the other hand they were inexpensive (and are very inexpensive, and plentiful, used) and they're user configurable (albeit with some 'hands on' work).

I have a 'pair' of one such model (cosmetically/morphologically mismatched but electrically equivalent) that I keep trying to work up the gumption to try on my FrankenAltecs -- although I also keep trying to work up the gumption to try DSP, too. :rolleyes:

https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/XEQ-3_Engineering_Data_Sheet.pdf

EV XOs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used a
Interesting -- thanks for measuring & posting this!

It might (?!?) be interesting to compare a 'high end' analog XO like this to a decidedly lower-budget (indeed, borderline vintage) XO like the venerable ones made & sold for years (for the pro market) by EV. I doubt they'd do very well -- on the other hand they were inexpensive (and are very inexpensive, and plentiful, used) and they're user configurable (albeit with some 'hands on' work).

I have a 'pair' of one such model (cosmetically/morphologically mismatched but electrically equivalent) that I keep trying to work up the gumption to try on my FrankenAltecs -- although I also keep trying to work up the gumption to try DSP, too. :rolleyes:

https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/XEQ-3_Engineering_Data_Sheet.pdf

EV XOs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
I used a active XO on my KEF Altecs transmission line cabinets and it was sooperb. I say put your foot in the water and give it a whirl. It's like bass and treble control on steroids.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I bought one of these years back in kit form which was very affordable. The purpose was to bi-amp a speaker - - specifically, to use a tube amp for mids and highs with a solid state amp for the woofer. It was fun!

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Marchand was probably the best available choice before 20 years or so.
They always seemed to me as really great machines. Expensive, but they seemed to worth it.

Now, in 2020, we have so many available options, especially in the digital domain.

I am really disappointed with these measurements...

gags11

Forum Donor
I think the panther here should be headless and missing at least one limb.

I have no idea what the use case for such a product is regardless of distortion measurements. A good crossover requires rolloffs tapered to work with the driver units' inherent FR, and EQ. An analog unit tailored to specific drive units loaded in a specific cabinet is one thing, but this box just appears to offer textbook slopes that assume infinite bandwidth drivers, and no EQ.

That is at best an obsolete approach.

The unit can take different crossover slope modules ranging from 6db to 48db. They can be mismatched also and tailored to specific transducers. You can also use attenuation modules to match the drivers. Anyway, this is an active analog crossover and does not do EQ. I personally do a bit of EQ in Roon. My hope was that it would be relatively transparent to avoid using a digital unit such as the minidsp in between the DAC and the amplifiers.

I have also sent the MiniDSP DDRC-88A/BM Dirac series digital unit to Amir. This MiniDSP has 8x analog in/outs. Hope to see the result from MiniDSP for comparison

Last edited:

John1959

The unit can take different crossover slope modules ranging from 6db to 48db. They can be mismatched also and tailored to specific transducers. You can also use attenuation modules to match the drivers. Anyway, this is an active analog crossover and does not do EQ. I personally do a bit of EQ in Roon. My hope was that it would be relatively transparent to avoid using a digital unit such as the minidsp in between the DAC and the amplifiers.

I have also sent the MiniDSP DDRC-88A/BM Dirac series digital unit to Amir. This MiniDSP has 8x analog in/outs. Hope to see the result from MiniDSP for comparison

I am looking at the moment at the MiniDSP nanoDIGI (2 channel S/PDIF input /8 channel S/PDIF output) for a three way active system. Much simpler unit. No DAC's inside. So it needs a standalone multi channel DAC of course (maybe the Okta DAC8 Pro which got a very nice review here). But I guess all can also be done in software too, e.g. with a NUC which seconds as a Roon server. But that's a bit off topic I guess.

John.

Last edited:

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have no idea what this thing is.

It is a stereo active electronic crossover that takes individual point/slope boards.

It accepts some other optional boards (e.g. notch filters, shelves, etc.) as well as hase some channel level adjustment capabilities (dials on the front).

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is a stereo active electronic crossover that takes individual point/slope boards.

It accepts some other optional boards (e.g. notch filters, shelves, etc.) as well as hase some channel level adjustment capabilities (dials on the front).
I truly appreciate your trying to help me, thanks. Knowing my strengths/weaknesses I know it's best in my case to leave crossovers to the engineers who make the speakers and electronics. And as the self appointed representative of the life and social sciences wing of the ASR party I know I speak for others as well, lol.

gags11

Forum Donor
I am looking at the moment at the MiniDSP nanoDIGI (2 channel S/PDIF input /8 channel S/PDIF output) for a three way active system. Much simpler unit. No DAC's inside. So it needs a standalone multi channel DAC of course (maybe the Okta DAC8 Pro which got a very nice review here). But I guess all can also be done in software too, e.g. by a NUC which seconds as a Roon server. But that's a bit off topic I guess.

John.

John,
I have thought about a set up like that using a USB to AES interface to feed into MiniDSP DDRc-8D Dirac to Okto DAC8. In theory should be optimal with Dirac room correction and Okto DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
John,
I have thought about a set up like that using a USB to AES interface to feed into MiniDSP DDRc-8D Dirac to Okto DAC8. In theory should be optimal with Dirac room correction and Okto DAC

I am working with that exact setup...except instead of going to a multi-channel DAC, I go straight to AES/EBU input on my powered speakers. It is a very clean way to go.

There's a lot which goes into designing a crossover, but with gated on-axis measurements and a minidsp 2x4, you can get a flat and well integrated response in a 2 way pretty easily. One trick - reverse phase of one channel to create a null and adjust delay until the null is as deep as possible. When you flip the phase back, your drivers will be as in phase as they can It is reasonably priced as well: under US$300 with the microphone.

Thank you Juhazi and 617. I looked at the MiniDSP links and time alignment seems both possible and affordable. Something new to play with!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Marchand was probably the best available choice before 20 years or so.
They always seemed to me as really great machines. Expensive, but they seemed to worth it.

20 years ago the Behringer 2496 was around, as well as BSS Omnidrive ($$$) and others. You can make a real crossover with those. There was also the Bryston analog box.

John1959

20 years ago the Behringer 2496 was around, as well as BSS Omnidrive ($$$) and others. You can make a real crossover with those. There was also the Bryston analog box.
Yeah, that Behringer 2496 :).I had that part in my system for a while. As a crossover and also for room correction. It had a terts band display and you could connect a microphone and generate white or pink noise with it to examine room response and resonances. Worked reasonably well. I bought it for a replacement for my Marchand Xover I already mentioned in a previous post. After a few years I went to + 100dB/W full range horn loaded speakers and a SET 300B and didn't need it anymore. I use this system for 20 years (!) with only a few tube replacements. I finally got what I wanted and lost interest in audio and focused on music instead. Only recently I became interested in audio again because of efficient class d amps and DSP benefits of all kind.

John.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always wondered about these, thanks Amir for the test and @gags11 for the donation(s).

Top Bottom