• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

JSmith

Master Contributor
I put some music through the speakers and he started circle pacing again and trembling
Hmm... may I ask what is the breed type?

I was just reading this;
Certain breeds of dogs are overrepresented when it comes to noise phobias, strongly suggesting that there is an inherited component to this condition. It is thought that German Shepherds, Australian Shepherds, and Border Collies are genetically prone to these phobias.
There are various products, such as noise cancelling headphones for dogs, compression garments, and calming pheromones that may be helpful in calming some dogs.
As always, it is best to have your dog examined by your veterinarian when any fearful behaviour develops. Your vet will want to run lab work to make sure there isn’t an underlying health condition, such as hypothyroidism or Cushing’s disease that may be contributing to the abnormal behaviour. Your veterinarian can also consult you on supplements or medications that may be useful in managing noise phobias.

https://www.greatpetcare.com/dog-behavior/12-noises-that-freak-dogs-out/

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
that March Audio could make them in jarrah which is a superb timber for speaker boxes being short grained and medium density.

Jarrah is a great timber for decks. Our front and back decks are jarrah, as is our outdoor furniture. Good chit, but hardly medium density. Sappy and hard as nails, very resistant to rot and creatures, but not consistent in terms of density. Not remotely a good loudspeaker timber IMO. A nice front panel or side cheek display timber for sure. Very pretty when stained deep red/rosewood or oiled deep.

I have a pile of it downstairs under the house.

OP
M

Mutsu

jtgofish

Jarrah is a great timber for decks. Our front and back decks are jarrah, as is our outdoor furniture. Good chit, but hardly medium density. Sappy and hard as nails, very resistant to rot and creatures, but not consistent in terms of density. Not remotely a good loudspeaker timber IMO. A nice front panel or side cheek display timber for sure. Very pretty when stained deep red/rosewood or oiled deep.

I have a pile of it downstairs under the house.

Being a slow growing tree it is very consistent in density .Around 840kg/cubic metre so that places in the medium to high density range.
Quarter sawn is best .
Timber is my business and my profession and with nearly 25 years experience making furniture out of it perhaps I have some insight into suitability of different timbers for different uses.At the moment I am using American Walnut and that is a terrible inconsistent and unstable timber compared to jarrah-rubbish by comparison really and yet that is what Sonus Faber has used.
I have heard some fantastic sounding solid jarrah speakers.Audio Synergy and WAR Audio used to make some really excellent ones.

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I spent all day in the other room. As soon as I walked into the room with my dog he already started acting like I was going to make some bad noises happen!

I put some music through the speakers and he started circle pacing again and trembling - so he's probably associated the speakers with making a sound that hurts his ears or scares him, or they just play higher than my old ones and it freaks him out.

I decided he just needs to get used to them at this stage, so while my wife watches TV I'll play the sound through the speakers and TV at the same time. I'm sure over the next few days he will get used to the usual noises the speaker will make.
One of my dogs recently became really fearful/anxious when almost any abrupt or loud noises play on the speakers, which seemed very strange given that in the past he has slept through hours of loud music and never really cared.

In my case, it was because we had watched “A Quiet Place”, where there are monster growl sounds that are probably partially sampled from lions or something. My wife also reacts vocally to scary movies, and seeing one of his humans scared by the noises also reinforces the association. After this, even non-scary abrupt or loud noises from the speakers made him anxious for a while.

A few days later I was listening to music fairly loudly for a few hours, and he was completely back to his normal self, insisting on sitting in my lap, happily enjoying a scratch massage until he falls asleep — sleeping soundly through music I certainly wouldn’t be able to sleep through :)

It sounds like it’s an association problem in your dog’s case too — because if you say you’ve listened to music in the past without problems, then it’s clearly not any physically painful response from loud noises, but just rather an association now to anxiety. In this case, the best thing to do is probably just listen to music as usual, perhaps at low volumes at first, and act normally calm and relaxed. If you focus too much on his pacing, your anxiety about his anxiety can act as a validation of his anxiety. Instead, if you just mostly present a calm and relaxed attitude while listening to music, he will likely begin to associate music again with good moods :)

Last edited:
OP
M

Mutsu

One of my dogs recently became really fearful/anxious when almost any abrupt or sudden noises play on the speakers, which seemed very strange given that in the past he has slept through hours of loud music and never really cared.

In my case, it was because we had watched “A Quiet Place”, where there are monster growl sounds that are probably partially sampled from lions or something. My wife also reacts vocally to scary movies, and seeing one of his humans scared by the noises also reinforces the association. After this, even non-scary abrupt or loud noises from the speakers made him anxious for a while.

A few days later I was listening to music fairly loudly for a few hours, and he was completely back to his normal self, insisting on sitting in my lap, happily enjoying a scratch massage until he falls asleep — sleeping soundly through music I certainly wouldn’t be able to sleep through :)

It sounds like it’s an association problem in your dog’s case too — because if you say you’ve listened to music in the past without problems, then it’s clearly not any physically painful response from loud noises, but just rather an association now to anxiety. In this case, the best thing to do is probably just listen to music as usual, perhaps at low volumes at first, and act normally calm and relaxed. If you focus too much on his pacing, your anxiety about his anxiety can act as a validation of his anxiety. Instead, if you just mostly present a calm and relaxed attitude while listening to music, he will likely begin to associate music again with good moods :)

Thanks for the great advice, and glad your dog seem fine with the music now :)

Yes, I think it's the loud noise from the speaker calibration. He was bothered by the pink noise, and got worse when I increased the volume. When I did the sweeps he got even worse. It was just hard for me to tell at the time if it was down to the speaker noises or if it was after effects of the pet hotel (longest stay he's ever had and first full day back at home). He slept through normal music on the new speakers as usual during most of the day too, so don't think it's anything specific to the new speakers, otherwise he wouldn't have slept at that time.

Totally agree about not focusing on the pacing to prevent validating the behaviour too!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will also be interesting to see how Sointuva compares to the Selah Purezza too. Assuming Selah stays in business, the Purezza is under $3000 in the US. I priced Sointuva to ship to me and it was over $4000. Admittedly March used better PRs, but the rest is probably a wash (if it reviews well).

Even if it reviewed well, would not be worth the price premium to me.:confused:
Is the Sointuva $3500 per speaker or $3500 per pair? The March website is confusing in that regard.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Sneak-peek picture of Sointuva with a new tweeter. Not yet on the website, but Alan said should be updated soon with his measurements. Tweeter was replaced due to shortages, but the new tweeter is supposed to have better directivity.
I like the new look much better - the previous design had a tall "chin" at the bottom which I wasn't a fan of, while the new design is much more "balanced" and the premium wood cabinet just takes it to another level.
Btw the speaker will be shipped to Erin soon for testing, although it will take awhile as he has a backlog. Can't wait to see the Klippel measurements of this beauty!

March Audio Sointuva.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No change in back side? I do hope so...

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too. I've been waiting all this time as @MarchAudio said he would send them in for the test some months ago. It's good we have Erin testing for us otherwise we would not see this test.

I hope so too, but March has struggled to supply review units in the past.

Will believe it when I see it. ;)

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Tweeter was replaced due to shortages, but the new tweeter is supposed to have better directivity.
Do you know what the new tweeter is?
Has the price been adjusted after the change or still the same?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic tweeter that. If the waveguide does it's job and the crossover is on point, that speaker will likely be quite the experience.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sneak-peek picture of Sointuva with a new tweeter. Not yet on the website, but Alan said should be updated soon with his measurements. Tweeter was replaced due to shortages, but the new tweeter is supposed to have better directivity.

Well, that's not so much a tweeter replacement as a 180° turn in the concept of the speaker.

The Bliesma 34mm tweeter has the extremely wide radiation of a 19-22mm tweeter.
1636524566385.png

For example, a replacement tweeter would have been a Seas 22 TAF. However, this tweeter would have had to have a crossover frequency above 2kHz.
1636524750634.png

The 170mm Satori waveguide is a completely new concept. A controlled, but much less wide radiation than with the Bliesma.
1636525340443.png

Or did I misunderstand you and the new speaker is a completely new model and expands the product range (the old model is available again after the supply shortage)?

Btw the speaker will be shipped to Erin soon for testing, although it will take awhile as he has a backlog. Can't wait to see the Klippel measurements of this beauty!

Because of the "unusual" concept, it would have been interesting if the "old" version of the speaker had been measured by @hardisj.
Wasn't that actually planned?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

headshake

TW29BNWG
mms: 0.46g
sd: 9.6cm2
fs:700hz
le:0.02mH
bl:3.1Tm

T34b
mms:0.26g
sd:10.5cm2
fs:800hz
le:.0.008mH
bl:3.5tm(w/ IEC 268-5, 2nd order high-pass Butterworth filter, 2.5 kHz)

Interesting to see where they line up and where they divert.

edit: the Bliesma dome does not use magnetic fluid. Does the SB Acoustics tweeter?

Top Bottom