• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

OP
M

Mutsu

And for @dualazmak (and others) if you are interested to see the previous measurement I took with Psychoacoustic smoothing you can see it below (previous was 1/6):

sointuva-psychoacoustic.jpg

March Audio's advice based on my measurements was to play about with positioning to the back wall, so I'll be doing this when I get chance (although without further measurements at this time unfortunately).

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And for @dualazmak (and others) if you are interested to see the previous measurement I took with Psychoacoustic smoothing you can see it below (previous was 1/6):

View attachment 151692

March Audio's advice based on my measurements was to play about with positioning to the back wall, so I'll be doing this when I get chance (although without further measurements at this time unfortunately).

Thank you indeed for sharing the Fq response shape at your listening position with psychoacoustic smoothing which is very nice in understanding your present satisfaction of the total sound given by Sointuva.

I believe you may effectively further fine tune the sound by physical SP alignment and/or by physical adjustments of furnitures curtains carpet(s) prior to trying any EQ/DSP implementation. Just based on my experiences, the most suitable target "tendency" of Fq response at listening position would be the red arrow shown below;
WS002429.JPG

Your system response seems to be already near to the target shape, I assume.

Thank you again, and, for the time being, I do hope you much good luck in your further fine tuning by SP alignment and room adjustments!

Last edited:

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I had a go at the MMM in a really small window of opportunity today and wasn't able to configure it correctly for some reason, the results just didn't make any sense whatsoever and I just didn't have the time to troubleshoot.

Sorry guys, but looks like I'm not going to be able to do any more measurements for the foreseeable future as it really emotionally distresses my dog like nothing I've seen before (last time it took him 2 days to become his normal self, and now he's back to how he was the first time). And it's extremely rare that I'm home without my dog.

Sound wise I'm happy already - it would be nice to see if there is anything I can EQ to improve things, and my first measurement is probably enough for what I personally need. But I'll probably just have to try an EQ curve based on the first result and blind test it with and without to see which I prefer.

Whenever I do get some time without the dog at home then I'll give this whole thing a try again - but probably by that point there will be some proper reviews of the speaker out there :)
Your dog is more important than a measurement.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe he just does not like the speakers?

That's funny.

I had a beautiful birman cat who one evening came tearing up the stairs from the garage to the first floor, ran towards the HiFi and leapt up onto a spinning record on the turntable, completely destroying the record. The turntable, cartridge and arm were perfect- no damage. It was some weird-ass audiophlie music I had bought. She thought it was as crap as I did. Record went in the bin and I never played that type of garbage again. She lived for 15 years. Still miss her.

OP
M

Mutsu

Thank you indeed for sharing the Fq response shape at your listening position with psychoacoustic smoothing which is very nice in understanding your present satisfaction of the total sound given by Sointuva.

I believe you may effectively further fine tune the sound by physical SP alignment and/or by physical adjustments of furnitures curtains carpet(s) prior to trying any EQ/DSP implementation. Just based on my experiences, the most suitable target "tendency" of Fq response at listening position would be the red arrow shown below;
View attachment 151775

Your system response seems to be already near to the target shape, I assume.

Thank you again, and, for the time being, I do hope you much good luck in your further fine tuning by SP alignment and room adjustments!

I agree regarding placement, and furniture etc. However as this is a shared roomed and not a dedicated listening room, there isn't much I can do here.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

OP
M

Mutsu

Are you sure it's the measurements? Maybe he just does not like the speakers? :oops:

He's probably unsure of the speakers now because of the measurements, I'll have to see how he reacts when I just play music through them now.

Before I did the measurements I played music for 2-3 hours and he slept through most of it and seemed fine when he was awake.

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
M

Mutsu

Fair enough... I'm just worried there may be something else wrong with your dog and this testing just happened to coincide.

You can actually get hearing protection for dogs! :)

View attachment 151848

https://petexpertise.com/products/mutt-muffs-hearing-protection-for-dogs

JSmith

Cute!

Thanks, I will keep an eye on him, but so far the behavior seems to correlate with when I take the measurements. At first I thought it was because he recently came back from the pet hotel, but he starting behaving normally again before I ran this latest test. So far today he's his usual self.

He did seem to get over the fear of it far far quicker yesterday than the first time.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I almost daily listen to music and weekly do measurement sweeps and pink noise RTAs all my cats and dogs grow up with them and are fully relaxed. I have the feeling that my persian cat even loves loud music as its coming when I listen to it. :D

OP
M

Mutsu

Since I almost daily listen to music and weekly do measurement sweeps and pink noise RTAs all my cats and dogs grow up with them and are fully relaxed. I have the feeling that my persian cat even loves loud music as its coming when I listen to it. :D

Nice :) I'm sure my dog would get used to it over time, he is a bit of a wimp though and scares very easily!

March Audio very kindly helped me figure out where I went wrong with my MMM measurement attempt. I can probably get it up and running fairly quickly, so tempted to ask my wife to take my dog out for a bit one day this week so I can do some tests :)

JSmith

Master Contributor
I have the feeling that my persian cat even loves loud music as its coming when I listen to it. :D
That's nothing man... my cat writes and plays music;

1631001334641.png

tempted to ask my wife to take my dog out for a bit one day this week so I can do some tests :)
We'll be waiting. ;)

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have the feeling that my persian cat even loves loud music as its coming when I listen to it.

My parents' Chinchilla cat used to find the sweet spot in between the speakers and listen to classical music for hours with my father.

OP
M

Mutsu

So I spent all day in the other room. As soon as I walked into the room with my dog he already started acting like I was going to make some bad noises happen!

I put some music through the speakers and he started circle pacing again and trembling - so he's probably associated the speakers with making a sound that hurts his ears or scares him, or they just play higher than my old ones and it freaks him out.

I decided he just needs to get used to them at this stage, so while my wife watches TV I'll play the sound through the speakers and TV at the same time. I'm sure over the next few days he will get used to the usual noises the speaker will make.

jtgofish

I am sure that March Audio could make them in jarrah which is a superb timber for speaker boxes being short grained and medium density.I have used it myself and prefer it to ply and MDF. March is located in the home of jarrah [Western Australia].It is a dark red/brown timber or can be ebonised to turn it an ebony colour.
As used by Supratek.
1631009546114.png

Or ebonised
1631009786729.png

Top Bottom