• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

YSC

Major Contributor
^good luck^ :)
a mixed 2ch/HT has challenges.
(ask me how I know)

Where in Aus are you?
I am about 20km west of Alan’s MA/HQ… as the kookaburra flies… in Albany.

The bass was surprisingly strong on the set I heard a couple of years ago.
(That was in a relatively larger room than what it sounds like your room is.)

Alan was to the right - out of frame.
I had the NIOSH (SPL) app running, when we could not hold a conversation.
it was north of 100 dB(A).
… ad they sounded somewhat quiet !

To me finding a speaker/system, that sounds quiet, when it is loud, is somewhat rare… and a good sign.
We usually crank up the sound until we hear distortion, and distortion makes the content sound loud.
and we often crank it until that point.

When one is seeing the lips move, and cannot hear the other person, it is pretty loud. Way louder than it needs to be.
We were at >100 dB, and peaks in the 105-110 db range… so I don’t think you would have any problem, especially in a room that could be a touch smaller.
(and it was not shy on bass.)

I think that the fellow from South Korea somewhat “walked back” his review.
the only thing I took away from that was that the resonance was the purify basket, and having a bracket holding the motor takes care of that.
(I did not hear it at the time, and it is a high-Q (narrow) resonance.)

I was there for an hour or more, and listened to a mix of what I liked and what Alan listens to.
There was nothing not to like IME, other than perhaps if one likes the purity of phase and time correct systems… of which there are few of these days…
and something that is not normally discussed, other than Olive and Toole saying it does not matter… and everyone else repeating like scripture.

nice looking setup! how long did you own it? what I am surprised even more is how he kicked it off with real wood and still dont compromise in wood movement issue.

Penelinfi

You could get grills made up. There's a picture of some with grills.

Also wouldn't want to break a beryllium tweeter. Even if you have to get some sort of mesh grill made it could still look neat if done properly

Keith_W

Major Contributor
there is a show soon in Melbourne, or somewhere towards the east.

If you are referring to the SNA show, it is in October in Melbourne. I just bought my tickets, they have a 50% off sale this long weekend. Unless you are referring to another show?

@SundayDiver A better way to get a demonstration might be to email Alan himself and ask if there are any individuals in Sydney who own a speaker and are happy for you to visit and demo them. Also I should note: your previous post indicates you are thinking of upgrading because you want more bass? I suggest that you should take some measurements first to make sure that the speaker is to blame, and not the room.

And BTW, the Genelec 8351B is slightly cheaper than the March Sointuva, includes an amplifier, and is the same size. IMO the measurements look much better for the Genelec as well, it has a flatter FR, more bass, and directivity is more constant. It is also more "point source". Measurements for the Genelec can be found here and the Sointuva here. The AWG version appears to have better bass response, measurements here.

Penelinfi

If you are referring to the SNA show, it is in October in Melbourne. I just bought my tickets, they have a 50% off sale this long weekend. Unless you are referring to another show?

@SundayDiver A better way to get a demonstration might be to email Alan himself and ask if there are any individuals in Sydney who own a speaker and are happy for you to visit and demo them. Also I should note: your previous post indicates you are thinking of upgrading because you want more bass? I suggest that you should take some measurements first to make sure that the speaker is to blame, and not the room.

And BTW, the Genelec 8351B is slightly cheaper than the March Sointuva, includes an amplifier, and is the same size. IMO the measurements look much better for the Genelec as well, it has a flatter FR, more bass, and directivity is more constant. It is also more "point source". Measurements for the Genelec can be found here and the Sointuva here. The AWG version appears to have better bass response, measurements here.
The only 8351b I can find are $6-7k EACH and are also out of stock?
A pair of Sointuva are $6.5k.
AUD seeing as they are in Aus

It would be interesting to compare the two

Last edited:

Reddoc

You might find a pair in stock to think about here- plus free GLM- for $12100 AUD for the pair.
Australian prices are almost always way out of whack with OS prices- ever tried to buy a Porsche?

Keith_W

Major Contributor

My apologies, you are correct. That Spinorama website said that the 8351 was "$3000 USD", I forgot that Genelec sell them each and not as pairs.

Holmz

Major Contributor
nice looking setup! how long did you own it? what I am surprised even more is how he kicked it off with real wood and still dont compromise in wood movement issue.

Not my set up.
was not able to close the deal on the speakers, and that photo was at Alan’s house.

I sort of need a different XO arraignment to use Alan’s speakers in my existing 2ch/HT set up.
and hence, I wanted the Passive-XO to be external so I could go active.

maybe I’ll call him and try again…

Holmz

Major Contributor

[…

I could have thinking about a car show.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There was nothing not to like IME, other than perhaps if one likes the purity of phase and time correct systems… of which there are few of these days…
and something that is not normally discussed, other than Olive and Toole saying it does not matter… and everyone else repeating like scripture.

Very true.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was there for an hour or more, and listened to a mix of what I liked and what Alan listens to.
As an owner of both a time aligned pair of speakers (Thiel CS3.7) and one without (Sointuva AWG), in my opinion it's all compromises. I prefere better tonality, dispersion and lower distortion of the Sointuva AWG, let alone size and price, over the time alignment of the CS3.7 with the other factors worst.

I could use RePhase and fix time alignment of the Sointuva AWG with convolution FIR filters, but then I would have to go back to using PC+JRiver and limit my streaming use, which I prefer. So again, priorities and choices. To me it's a minor difference comparatively. Sure, if someone has an active speaker with DSP, then enabling/disabling time alignment is trivial and one should use, but to consider it a top priority is exaggerated imo.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me it a minor difference comparatively. Sure, if someone has an active speaker with DSP, than enabling/disabling time alignment is trivial and one should use, but to consider it a top priority is exaggerated imo.
With the speakers I've tried that allow you to switch it off and on the difference if tiny, and I wouldn't bet I could tell blind. It's not a must have feature.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just trying ‘phase correction‘ on/off with the LS60s in real time right now I can’t reliably differentiate.
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just trying ‘phase correction‘ on/off with the LS60s in real time right now I can’t reliably differentiate.
Keith
You can try it with the Kii and 8c as well. For DSP speakers used for playback only it makes sense to have it, but only as an academic improvement.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have I have never noticed any difference, but I enjoy the option of not being able to notice .
Keith

Pritaudio

Check these out. And their YouTube channel as more info too.
hypex amps, hypex dsp, expensive cabinets, 3 way, 8 inch purifi woofer, optional beryl tweeter and mid.
fully modular to replace units an amps.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hypex amps, hypex dsp, expensive cabinets, 3 way, 8 inch purifi woofer, optional beryl tweeter and mid.
They could loan a pair for Amir or Erin to review and spin data.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Even in sealed cabinet design, the Fq spec is 26Hz - 22KHz; I am very much interested in listening to it, and looking forward to having measurement data by Airm and/or Erin. :)

Penelinfi

You'd think they'd have measurements for something that's supposed to be a studio monitor. At least a stock configuration. I guess you could set them up how you wanted

Top Bottom