• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad, wrong casual terminology.

Its 250 watts long term maximum power (IEC 268-5 18.2)

-100 hour RMS – 100 hours with continous signal. o (IEC 268-5, cl 18.4 Rated noise test)
-Long Term Power Handling – 10 times alternating between signal for one minute and pause for 2 min. Total test time is 28 min. o (IEC 268-5, cl 18.2)
-Short Term Power Handling – 60 times alternating between signal for one second and pause for 1 min. Total test time one hour. o (IEC 268-5, cl 18.1)

The test signal is a weighted (IEC 268-1) pink noise signal with a crest factor of two.

I have no doubt the signal is filtered, but not sure of precise range.

What needs to be borne is the nature of music and its actual RMS (heating value) is very low compared to the peak. Typically 1/5th.

FYI, IEC 268-5 specifies a pink noise test signal with a crest factor of 6dB that is highpass-filtered 12dB/octave at 40Hz and lowpass-filtered 12dB/octave at 5kHz.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Predicted in room response (1dB/octave slope)

1604924095552.png

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
It seems that @March Audio was trying to create a cost-almost-no-object great speaker. It seems that a lot of effort and cost was going into the ability of the speaker to go low (hit 40hz). I personally use subs that XO at 80hz to 100 hz.

@March Audio : How would the a cost-almost-no-object great speaker design change if hitting 40hz would not be necessary. E.g. are the passive radiators useless? Is the purify woofer overkill?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It seems that @March Audio was trying to create a cost-almost-no-object great speaker. It seems that a lot of effort and cost was going into the ability of the speaker to go low (hit 40hz). I personally use subs that XO at 80hz to 100 hz.

@March Audio : How would the a cost-almost-no-object great speaker design change if hitting 40hz would not be necessary. E.g. are the passive radiators useless? Is the purify woofer overkill?
That wasn't the intention, if it were cost no object it would be quite different and certainly not passive ;).

The purifi woofer is fantastically low distortion which is subjectively quite noticeable and beneficial. It goes low in relatively small box. However its properties means you need a long port or PRs. It's really not just about trying to get to 40Hz, but that extra depth is definitely subjectively beneficial.

Subs of course are an option but they aren't always easy to integrate well. You really need bass management, something most non AV systems don't have. Also not always domestically acceptable, so its not an option for everyone.

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The first prototype speakers I whipped up with my purifi 6.5 woofers I was hitting 30hz easy in my room, with authority. The lack of distortion makes you play them way too loud. The woofers bottom out before they distort. And from a 15L ported box. It was jaw dropping and not much does that after so many years in the hobby. The woofers are so clear when listened to you actually have to recalibrate with everything you listen to through them, they are that good. If March Audio gets the crossover and DI right, these will be endgame “ear-opening” speakers for most.
State of the art 2-way with probably the best “SINAD” of any small bookshelf to date. The clarity is spooky at first.
I wish you all the best with sales, would demo myself if I didn’t already own my own version.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I would also XO to a sub at 80Hz but an argument can be that to make a proper xo both the sub and speakers needs to extend an octave beyond the intended xo point ? so 40Hz for an 80Hz xo seems about right , note it does not have to do this at high levels its just has to be linear in the passband. and likewise the sub needs to reach 160hz. It makes for more predictable xo slopes .
Sure we can DSP it to be right but the actual acoustic slopes depends on booth the speaker and the sub.

In fact this mini monitor , goes on my shortlist for future uppgrade , I usually prefer to use sub with small floor standers for the reasons outlined above and the midbass capacity . But this could be the base for an actually working small speaker + sub setup ? nicely done

Good effort seems like a very good speaker.

Does it come in any wood grain(pics please) . my current speaker's are piano black and iv'e come to appreciate wood finishes more .
the age gracefully, clear lacquer does not. Especially not white its just get scratchy.
Even spotty and scratchy wood has acceptable patina as they age , just imho.

More questions .

The round over at the edges ? could it be even bigger to help more with diffraction afaik they need to be substantial to help. They are esthetically horrible anyway , so better optimize for function in this case :) is it not ?

Baffle proportions how is this chosen ?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I would also XO to a sub at 80Hz but an argument can be that to make a proper xo both the sub and speakers needs to extend an octave beyond the intended xo point ? so 40Hz for an 80Hz xo seems about right , note it does not have to do this at high levels its just has to be linear in the passband. and likewise the sub needs to reach 160hz. It makes for more predictable xo slopes .
Sure we can DSP it to be right but the actual acoustic slopes depends on booth the speaker and the sub.

In fact this mini monitor , goes on my shortlist for future uppgrade , I usually prefer to use sub with small floor standers for the reasons outlined above and the midbass capacity . But this could be the base for an actually working small speaker + sub setup ? nicely done

Good effort seems like a very good speaker.

Does it come in any wood grain(pics please) . my current speaker's are piano black and iv'e come to appreciate wood finishes more .
the age gracefully, clear lacquer does not. Especially not white its just get scratchy.
Even spotty and scratchy wood has acceptable patina as they age , just imho.

More questions .

The round over at the edges ? could it be even bigger to help more with diffraction afaik they need to be substantial to help. They are esthetically horrible anyway , so better optimize for function in this case :) is it not ?

Baffle proportions how is this chosen ?
These will be manufactured to order so can be supplied in any colour you like or have wood finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom