• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Your beautiful and intriguing. Are you able to comment on why you chose Be dome rather than ribbon?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What's the meat taste like?
While it does feel a little odd at first eating the national icon it should be noted they are not in any way endangered. About 25 million people in Australia and 50 million roos! The ones in this area are not too big, but if you come across a biggun it can be a tad scary. Mind you not as scary as the tiger snake that tried to get in the house the other day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_snake

We often get mobs of 30 to 40 roos in the paddock.

Roo is gamey, you can make great burgers but it can easily dry out and be tough if overcooked.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Whilst on the subject of local fauna, my favourite is the Quokka. Another cat sized marsupial found exclusively on Rottnest Island just off shore of Perth.

It is the happiest animal in the world :) and its become a craze to get a quokka selfie.

1604411966258.png

1604412033546.png

1604412094355.png

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Your beautiful and intriguing. Are you able to comment on why you chose Be dome rather than ribbon?
My wife said that to me once ;)

Ribbons tend to be delicate and can have restricted vertical radiation. I have used AMT to good effect and would use that in preference to ribbon.

Why the BE dome? This one can go down to 1.3kHz. Means you can match directivity of the woofer at crossover.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I know there's a Like button, but those photos are too good for a mere Like button.
Australian animals are just amazing, as long as you ignore the fact that most of them will kill you as soon as look at you.

You thought jaws was just an exaggerated film? Hell no, surfers get chomped all the time.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I HATE snakes. My missus HATES spiders. We prefer wombats. And my mom stays away from snakes and blue tongue lizards.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Power handling is 250 watts (IEC continuous)

1604460961517.png

The IEC268-5 pink noise (filtered, 6dB crest factor or is it something else?) for 100hrs is 80W on the Purifi data sheet. Are really you specifying a 250W continuous on the system?

There's no way a single 6.5" voicecoil could dissipate 1/4 Kilowatt on an actual continuous (100hr) basis.

From what I understand, the "long term maximum power" is not equal to continuous. Rated noise power 100hr is equal to "long term power". But then I have speakers rated with the IEC 268-5 like these below:
IMG_3904 (Medium).jpeg

Consider each of these speakers has 2x 6.5" woofers, 2x 4"bass/mids and a 30mm treble driver. 5 drivers per cabinet. I would believe they could dissipate 150W of pink noise for 100Hrs with 4-5 voice coils to get rid of the heat.

Do you have a copy of IEC268-5 or the relevant parts including the terms to be used?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Huntsmen spider are fabulous. Mostly harmless apart from the fact that they are massive, hide under the sun visor in your car and will make you poop your pants.

We had one bigger than my hand fully fingers-spanned come out from under the bonnet, run across the windscreen and hide under the tailgate only a few days ago. My 13yo nearly did as you described. LOL.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
View attachment 91398

The IEC268-5 pink noise (filtered, 6dB crest factor or is it something else?) for 100hrs is 80W on the Purifi data sheet. Are really you specifying a 250W continuous on the system?

There's no way a single 6.5" voicecoil could dissipate 1/4 Kilowatt on an actual continuous (100hr) basis.

From what I understand, the "long term maximum power" is not equal to continuous. Rated noise power 100hr is equal to "long term power". But then I have speakers rated with the IEC 268-5 like these below:
View attachment 91399

Consider each of these speakers has 2x 6.5" woofers, 2x 4"bass/mids and a 30mm treble driver. 5 drivers per cabinet. I would believe they could dissipate 150W of pink noise for 100Hrs with 4-5 voice coils to get rid of the heat.

Do you have a copy of IEC268-5 or the relevant parts including the terms to be used?
My bad, wrong casual terminology.

Its 250 watts long term maximum power (IEC 268-5 18.2)

-100 hour RMS – 100 hours with continous signal. o (IEC 268-5, cl 18.4 Rated noise test)
-Long Term Power Handling – 10 times alternating between signal for one minute and pause for 2 min. Total test time is 28 min. o (IEC 268-5, cl 18.2)
-Short Term Power Handling – 60 times alternating between signal for one second and pause for 1 min. Total test time one hour. o (IEC 268-5, cl 18.1)

The test signal is a weighted (IEC 268-1) pink noise signal with a crest factor of two.

I have no doubt the signal is filtered, but not sure of precise range.

What needs to be borne is the nature of music and its actual RMS (heating value) is very low compared to the peak. Typically 1/5th.

Last edited:

Sonny1

Very impressive. Can’t wait to learn more about these speakers. Cool looking cabinet and the drivers are SOTA. Looking forward to seeing more of these.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dont take the following measurements as definitive there are some limitations and some final tweaking required.
I am very curious about the outcome of your project.
Do you also have a spectrogram with stepped color or the angular frequency responses of deg0-90? It is very difficult to see details.

I would have expected that the axis frequency response in the range 1.7 - 5kHz would have to be provided with a relatively wide dip to compensate for the strong widening in the horizontal radiation in this frequency range.

As I have simulations for the Bliesma tweeter already on my hard disk, it is not difficult to simulate it with the cabinet of the Sointuva, which shows the "unusual" behaviour of this tweeter.
However, the simulations are closer to the behaviour of the Bliesma-Al version than the Bliesma-Be version, because the former behaves more like an ideal 34mm tweeter.

Comparing only the simulated axis frequency response and the deg60 frequency response, the very wide horizontal directivity of the tweeter becomes obvious (low resolution, valid <10kHz):
1604912462347.png

However, the challenge lies in the crossover tuning, which has to compensate for the pronounced interaction of the baffle with the tweeter.
This is nicely shown by looking at the axis frequency responses normalized to the axis frequency response of the tweeter (low resolution, valid <10kHz):
1604913309827.png

The big challenge in my eyes is to get the range 1.5 - 5kHz under control (since the vertical directivity in this range also expands in radiation).

Or does the Bliesma-Be tweeter behave completely different in its radiation than the Al version?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I am very curious about the outcome of your project.
Do you also have a spectrogram with stepped color or the angular frequency responses of deg0-90? It is very difficult to see details.

I would have expected that the axis frequency response in the range 1.7 - 5kHz would have to be provided with a relatively wide dip to compensate for the strong widening in the horizontal radiation in this frequency range.

As I have simulations for the Bliesma tweeter already on my hard disk, it is not difficult to simulate it with the cabinet of the Sointuva, which shows the "unusual" behaviour of this tweeter.
However, the simulations are closer to the behaviour of the Bliesma-Al version than the Bliesma-Be version, because the former behaves more like an ideal 34mm tweeter.

Comparing only the simulated axis frequency response and the deg60 frequency response, the very wide horizontal directivity of the tweeter becomes obvious (low resolution, valid <10kHz):
View attachment 92389

However, the challenge lies in the crossover tuning, which has to compensate for the pronounced interaction of the baffle with the tweeter.
This is nicely shown by looking at the axis frequency responses normalized to the axis frequency response of the tweeter (low resolution, valid <10kHz):
View attachment 92390
The big challenge in my eyes is to get the range 1.5 - 5kHz under control (since the vertical directivity in this range also expands in radiation).

Or does the Bliesma-Be tweeter behave completely different in its radiation than the Al version?
Yes there have been a few challenges with the crossover, but I hope you understand I wont be going into too much detail ;)

The sound power isnt perfect 2-6kHz, but its not leading to any significant aberration in the predicted in room response, or audible issues.

Remember these arent final measurements and have limitations, just teasers really ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom