• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Since you obviously have excellent amps and a DAC, did you consider active speakers and a digital crossover?
Yes :)

Its the way forward and I have used my own design of active dsp speakers at home for a while.

The passive market is huge though, its the logical place to start

witwald

Forum Donor
What are the approximate external dimensions of the Sointuva loudspeaker's enclosure? Is it around 25 litres in size, or a bit smaller than that?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This has been teased for a while now, we decided to put it on hold at the start of covid but are now ready for release.
Best of luck with your new speaker, hope you sell a million. ;)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We havent done anything with fancy caps BTW.

Considering the horror stories I have heard about the most voodoo of them all - Dueland - that's for the better. The local distributor told me they could start smouldering if you weren't careful, but the sound was too silky and sweet.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Considering the horror stories I have heard about the most voodoo of them all - Dueland - that's for the better. The local distributor told me they could start smouldering if you weren't careful, but the sound was too silky and sweet.
Really !?!!

witwald

Forum Donor
The simulations of low-frequency response obtained using VituixCAD for a 16 litre internal enclosure volume are shown below. The low-frequency extension seems pretty good, and the use of a passive radiator design will avoid any port problems.

RESPONSE STATISTICS
f3 52.6 Hz
f6 35.6 Hz
f10 31.7 Hz

1604307628721.png

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really !?!!

I had to go check what I wrote down on another forum the same day I had the conversation, because I was pretty sure I was understating it:

Never touch them. They drift like nobody's business, spontaneously blow themselves, break their brittle leads or simply snap into half. But apparently it sounds 'natural' and 'musical' because its made with 'organic' parts by hand.

The same guy that distributes them swears by running the SEAS magnesium Excel on a 6dB/octave low-pass without a notch filter, so take that how you will...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nice speakers, think you should implement a captive nut

The captive nut/s can be plugged with a flush plastic/felt plug and only removed for people who want to lock/couple it to the stand. It's a thousand percent better than blu-tak or drilling/screwing and totally reversible (put the plug back in). It also adds a "serious" look to the speaker and reminds people who buy them there is a bespoke stand for their speakers.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Allan,

The reason I did the XOvers outside in a separate box was simplicity of installation for me. They were big, some caps were very big, so it was the best way to do things. Not the most elegant. I wasn't worried about "microphonics".

I also just checked in the map Albany! I've been to Sydney, I have family that lives there and further up in Port Stephens, I've also been to Perth, but you are truly in the middle of nowhere! It must be a paradise there! My brother has a kitchen design and building company in Sydeny. They do a lot of fabrication. I wonder if they can help with he speakers or it is not useful. Let me know.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Allan,

The reason I did the XOvers outside in a separate box was simplicity of installation for me. They were big, some caps were very big, so it was the best way to do things. Not the most elegant. I wasn't worried about "microphonics".

I also just checked in the map Albany! I've been to Sydney, I have family that lives there and further up in Port Stephens, I've also been to Perth, but you are truly in the middle of nowhere! It must be a paradise there! My brother has a kitchen design and building company in Sydeny. They do a lot of fabrication. I wonder if they can help with he speakers or it is not useful. Let me know.

Aaahh I see :) yes tell me about fitting the massive woofer inductor in this one :)

We were based in Perth (5 hours drive away) but after visting the Albany area decided to move down. Its beautiful down here and not quite as hot as Perth. Kangaroos everyday in the garden and being originally from the UK that never gets old :) We dont miss the bustle of Perth. Nice to visit from time to time though.

View from my desk in the office.

view.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What's the meat taste like?

essence

Very interested! Hoping for decent maximum power limit, extended warranty that matches similar classed products and maybe a sweet launch deal to seal that 2020 Christmas present! ;)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any distortion measurements? (sorry if you already showed them and I missed it) I am wondering if the passive radiators allow you to do better than the SPK5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom