• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A suggestion perhaps is to update the case details every few years as I believe there are aesthetic as well as usability preference drifts as time passes by.

That's true, and when Alan changes to pearl-silver in his 2020 models and a special limited edition rose-champagne finish at a premium, we'll know it's all gone to h#ll in a hand basket. :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
lol ... I meant more of the details rather than just mere colours . :D

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Because it won't be a business by following your definition so far, ie one superior and by definition more expensive amp. People won't choose a product that doesn't fit their requirements.

I don't share your definition of sustainable. Me producing just one superior amp does not make it a sustainable product. However, I think they are. The amps should have a long life and be repairable. Metals from the case and circuit are recoverable/recyclable. Being Class d they are efficient. Also, I won't be continually changing the design, there won't be a "buy the latest greatest" like the phone manufacturers.

The rest is down to changing the attitude of consumers.

Well, Benchmark make only one amplifier. So there are different approaches.

YMMV etc.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, Benchmark make only one amplifier. So there are different approaches.

YMMV etc.

They may only have one power amp at the moment, but I dont think they see that as a general business principle. They have multiple DAC versions for example Plus, as I said, just one product doesnt necessarily equal sustainability. Equally multiple products also doesnt equate to non-sustainability.

Last edited:

D700

They may only have one power amp..
Speaking of, I like what you're doing with your single form factor approach. Was wondering by chance, have you included standby, automatic power on features and its just not mentioned on the website yet? Or is power button sole operating mechanism? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere already.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
They may only have one power amp at the moment, but I dont think they see that as a general business principle. They have multiple DAC versions for example Plus, as I said, just one product doesnt necessarily equal sustainability. Equally multiple products also doesnt equate to non-sustainability.

Benchmark have different DACs but they have all the same specifications where it matters (D to A conversion). Benchmark don’t make one inferior DAC and one superior. The difference between DACs is due to different user needs, like inputs and outputs.

You seem to make different amps in order to tap the market’s willingness to pay, just like the airliners do when they create a myriad of choices.

To me, engineering is also about making things as simple as possible.

“It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away".

Why take away power in a power product?

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to make different amps in order to tap the market’s willingness to pay, just like the airliners do when they create a myriad of choices
I think you have this backwards, if he made a single amp it may well be the mono block, so people would have to pay more.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Why does Hypex offer up the multitude of options it does?

Because we still live in a consumerism world where we blind as sheep discard functioning products to buy a «better» product. @restorer-john was concerned in a previous post about our landfills. Waste is a bad thing, not a good thing even if it increases a company’s profit.

It’s not as if I don’t understand company economics and marketing 101. However, this is a science forum where engineering ideals should be of more interest than petty pecuniary calculations, wouldn’t you agree?

Icboschert

Forum Donor
I'm fully on board with sustainability and the more things can be modular and upgradeable it is for the better. I'm struggling with how you would want an audio manufacturer to function, consumerism aside.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
To me, engineering is also about making things as simple as possible

1547848114977.png

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I'm fully on board with sustainability and the more things can be modular and upgradeable it is for the better. I'm struggling with how you would want an audio manufacturer to function, consumerism aside.

I try and understand what is @March Audio ’s position. Is it just to make profit, or something more?

The @March Audio products are not groundbreaking. Where is the innovation? If there is zero technical innovation, just another metoo designer copying existing designs, I wondered if his business philosophy represented something new and innovative. But it seems like his strategy resembles something you’d learn on an evening course in marketing 101. It’s just another guy trying to sell commodity products on the internet by means of a generic marketing strategy. Am I to harsh here?

I don’t believe in metoo strategies and selling commodities in the long run. In a consumerism world of abundance and waste, is more of the same what we need? So you need to plan longer term, seeing your place in the bigger world. And sustainability could be an edge, something to play on. Making products that the designer sells with pride - because it represents his best effort - could be another source of competitiveness. I struggle seeing what makes @March Audio unique in a competitive world.

I write this in good will. Business philosophy is fascinating and that’s why I teased @March Audio on his underlying position, what drives him in his business project. And I don’t take a penny for this advise to encourage @March Audio to be clearer on what’s his uniqueness, competitive advantage technically and business philosophy wise.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
I try and understand what is @March Audio ’s position. Is it just to make profit, or something more?

The @March Audio products are not groundbreaking. Where is the innovation? If there is zero technical innovation, just another metoo designer copying existing designs, I wondered if his business philosophy represented something new and innovative. But it seems like his strategy resembles something you’d learn on an evening course in marketing 101. It’s just another guy trying to sell commodity products on the internet by means of a generic marketing strategy. Am I to harsh here?

I don’t believe in metoo strategies and selling commodities in the long run. In a consumerism world of abundance and waste, is more of the same what we need? So you need to plan longer term, seeing your place in the bigger world. And sustainability could be an edge, something to play on. Making products that the designer sells with pride - because it represents his best effort - could be another source of competitiveness. I struggle seeing what makes @March Audio unique in a competitive world.

I write this in good will. Business philosophy is fascinating and that’s why I teased @March Audio on his underlying position, what drives him in his business project. And I don’t take a penny for this advise to encourage @March Audio to be clearer on what’s his uniqueness, competitive advantage technically and business philosophy wise.

He's selling a line of technically competent gear made with proven up to date technology. He's not selling audiophile BS. I like his case designs.

Maybe someplace there is an amp maker who strives to use locally sourced, non GMO, solar powered renewable hemp to build his products. Or maybe you can start that company.

Icboschert

Forum Donor

Not going to speak on his or any company's behalf but if we're talking about commodity Class D amps, there isn't much differentiation in the technical pieces but consumers like choice and since I don't see these companies offering different case styles, it opens the doors for competitors to offer variation. As far as I know, @March Audio hasn't claimed superiority over Apollon, Nord, ATI, NAD, etc

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
He's selling a line of technically competent gear made with proven up to date technology. He's not selling audiophile BS. I like his case designs.

Maybe someplace there is an amp maker who strives to use locally sourced, non GMO, solar powered renewable hemp to build his products. Or maybe you can start that company.

I think you nailed it: @March Audio is «not selling audiophile BS» an you «like his case designs». It doesn’t sound like robust competitive advantages, does it?

Icboschert

Forum Donor
I think you nailed it: @March Audio is «not selling audiophile BS» an you «like his case designs». It doesn’t sound like robust competitive advantages, does it?
Not sure we want to turn this into a Motley Fool thread for amplifiers but I enjoy seeing choices available and will support manufacturers who make themselves available for answering questions in open forums such as this.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Not sure we want to turn this into a Motley Fool thread for amplifiers but I enjoy seeing choices available and will support manufacturers who make themselves available for answering questions in open forums such as this.

«I enjoy seeing choices available».

Free to choose, right? Where did I hear that story before?

My point is, is this what we really need? Another choice? Doesn’t it sound like something from the 1970s or 1980s?

Your point that you «will support manufacturers who make themselves available for answering questions in open forums such as this» is indeed a possible source of competitive advantage, but @March Audio needs to evaluate if such support is scalable if business grows.

Free_to_Choose.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_to_Choose

jasonq997

Forum Donor
«I enjoy seeing choices available».

Free to choose, right? Where did I hear that story before?

My point is, is this what we really need? Another choice? Doesn’t it sound like something from the 1970s or 1980s?

Your point that you «will support manufacturers who make themselves available for answering questions in open forums such as this» is indeed a possible source of competitive advantage, but @March Audio needs to evaluate if such support is scalable if business grows.

Free_to_Choose.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_to_Choose

It isn't up to you to decide "what we really need" nor should this be up for a group vote. Outstanding book btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom