• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P701 Mono Block Power Amp

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Just remember:

"Three legs good, eight legs bad." - Scott Wurcer

8 legs are positively evil! They swallow dozens of 3 legs, keep them trapped in a dark enclosure, force them to connect together in strange ways and make them perform to a very high level without pay! ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
8 legs are positively evil! They swallow dozens of 3 legs

It does raise the question however, once you put more than one device on a substrate, does it automatically become an integrated circuit and/or evil?

Consider the 2SA-798 input differential pair or the 2SK-244 differential FET. Two devices on one substrate with 5 and 6 legs respectively. What about the thermaltrack transistors with an internal diode for temp monitoring? What about Darlingtons with two transistors and resistors? They would be classified as 'discrete' and yet they are not.

What is the cutoff point for discrete vs integrated?

Wombat

Master Contributor
It does raise the question however, once you put more than one device on a substrate, does it automatically become an integrated circuit and/or evil?

Consider the 2SA-798 input differential pair or the 2SK-244 differential FET. Two devices on one substrate with 5 and 6 legs respectively. What about the thermaltrack transistors with an internal diode for temp monitoring? What about Darlingtons with two transistors and resistors? They would be classified as 'discrete' and yet they are not.

What is the cutoff point for discrete vs integrated?

Now that is a dilemma for those providing public toilets/washrooms. ;)

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, I have just had an interesting conversation. It turns out the trolling post was indeed from a competitor. I wont say who, I dont play those games, but the information provided to me confirms it beyond reasonable doubt.

I will inform @amirm and @Thomas savage of the info.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Just plugged mine in, look lovely, light and easy to manage and install , sound totally neutral to my ears and quiet so no buzz or weird hum anywhere.

Id note stereo image is fixed and locked down well if that means anything to anyone.

They drive my vivid G3's with ease. Can't see why you'd bother buying anything else , if your in the market for amps these will do you imo.

Thanks to @March Audio who's communication and helpfulness was beyond reproach thought-out the purchasing process.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just plugged mine in, look lovely, light and easy to manage and install , sound totally neutral to my ears and quiet so no buzz or weird hum anywhere.

Id note stereo image is fixed and locked down well if that means anything to anyone.

They drive my vivid G3's with ease. Can't see why you'd bother buying anything else , if your in the market for amps these will do you imo.

Thanks to @March Audio who's communication and helpfulness was beyond reproach thought-out the purchasing process.
What did they replace?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What did they replace?
Belles MB200's with special internal wiring, upgrades, special hand crafted interconnects and audiophile quantum stickers .

It's playing now ' Christian McBride live at the vanguard' in combination with the Anthem STR pre and genesis room correction it's the most rewarding sound iv had at home.

So nice to not have any weird bass humps. Seems like a even response post correction , these silent amps just do their job .

Great combination if your of the audio separates persuasion.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I know this is shameless marketing but I thought I would share some feedback I received today from a customer regarding the P701.

The weekend provided the first opportunity to relax and properly acquaint myself with your new amp(s). I’ll cut to the chase … they are epic:) My NC400 amps are already very good and set the bar high but your P701’s are better across the board. With their additional output current feeding my Baltics, they certainly sound more dynamic.

My amps sounded thin at times which I assumed was a Hypex/Class D trait. But this is not the case with your P701’s which convey music with tremendous weight and authority. What I didn’t expect was that they would sound so much more refined than my old amps. On paper, Hypex’s distortion measurements favour the NC400’s. However, in my system, your amps sound smoother with more finesse, particularly highs.

I don’t want to let go off these amps. They are the best I have heard with my speakers. And I have owned/tried enough amps to know that they are quite special. I also suspect that, as with my NC400 amps, the distortion of my speakers is an order of magnitude higher than any of these amps and the higher output current of your NC1200 based amps is more important, in my system, than lower amplifier distortion.

Well done. And thank you!

V

aris

Audio Company
I’ve also been listening to the P701 mono amps over the weekend, and have to say they are really great.

Neutral, resolving, dynamic and provide strict control and coherence with my loudspeakers across all frequencies.

I’m also very happy with the input buffer. I would not want any colouration built into the amp; I’ve found choosing speaker cables to be enough of a challenge.

Alan - you’ve pulled together and executed a great package with the P701’s at a superb value point.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They are simply crafted but super elegant and assured. The touch button on the front is great too, no going behind grabbing at switches.

Look and feel wise they can sit next to any bit of hifi and fit right in regardless of price. Some of the folks making Hypex based amps put them in frankly tacky and cheap looking enclosures , not so here .

Sitting in my rack alongside my battleship TAD CDP the P701's look totally at home.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
How will the P701 go with difficult to drive speakers such as Gale 401a: "The Legendary amp killer" ?
Well the impedance plot (although - phase angle) doesnt look anything particularly challenging to be honest.

The P701 will have no problem at all with that load.

1564471991406.png

Top Bottom