• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P502 stopped turning on

rodrigaj

Yeh, I understood that. I was just saying what I did to avoid dealing with the piezo switch.

BTW, Alan told me that the trigger switch overrides the piezo switch. So when I tried to go to standby with the trigger switch on, the piezo switch would not function. Why the Emotiva trigger switch I use would not shut off is still a mystery.

captainbeefheart

Yeh, I understood that. I was just saying what I did to avoid dealing with the piezo switch.

BTW, Alan told me that the trigger switch overrides the piezo switch. So when I tried to go to standby with the trigger switch on, the piezo switch would not function. Why the Emotiva trigger switch I use would not shut off is still a mystery.

Try wiggling the trigger plug/jack while triggering it, these solder to a PCB and are the first place where cold solder joints first appear. It might just need a solder reflow with real solder.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To update the thread, I tested the voltage across the TS cable again and to my surprise it was -12V rather than +12V. When the amp wasn't turning on initially, I had checked the trigger cable and I must have somehow made the opposite connection. I switched the cabling, and the trigger mechanism is working again!. So I won't have to send it for service after all.

Alan has been helpful throughout the process, and did offer to ship it to Australia at his expense to check it out. I understand he was a bit tied up with the Munich Hi-Fi show so he took some time to response, but otherwise he has been great throughout. No complaints in that regard.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why the Emotiva trigger switch I use would not shut off is still a mystery.
If you have a multi-meter, it might be worth checking the voltage across the terminals with the trigger off. Sometimes, it might be sending a weaker voltage rather than turning it off completely (for example 3V-5V signal). This can cause the amp to stay turned on.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Great outcome for everyone. Amp not faulty. No wasted freight costs to and from Australia and everyone's happy.

Top Bottom