• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P451 Purifi 1ET400A Mono Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
OK,

As I mentioned previously, I am waiting to see what the requests are for variable gain are before I decide if its worth redesigning the buffer and case to suit. As you can see from my comments above, until demonstrated otherwise my opinion is the demand will be pretty much non existent.

However what I can do is provide buffers with gain levels set (fixed) to levels as requested by the customer as a chargeable option. These could be swapped out if circumstances change.

Last edited:
OK,

As I mentioned previously, I am waiting to see what the requests are for variable gain are before I decide if its worth redesigning the buffer and case to suit. As you can see from my comments above, until demonstrated otherwise my opinion is the demand will be pretty much non existent.

However what I can do is provide buffers with gain levels set (fixed) to levels as requested by the customer as a chargeable option. These could be swapped out if circumstances change.

If you're going to charge double what the Ghent version costs, at least throw in functionality that matches for free.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If you're going to charge double what the Ghent version costs, at least throw in functionality that matches for free.
Hello new member.

Audiocrusader or Andre?

If you are going to be a troll at least try and get your facts right, otherwise you tend look a bit of an idiot.

Ghent don't sell a Purifi amp let alone one with selectable gain.

BTW I encourage people to diy, it can be fun with great results. Contrary to what you might believe It's simply not something that competes with my business. Completely different customer base. However don't underestimate the actual costs of doing that, including the cost of your time.

Last edited:

Casey Leedom

Hey @March Audio, do you think that's it's feasible to put 7 of the 1ET400A amplifier modules in a single chassis? I looked at the physical dimension of the 1ET400A on Purifi's web site, 88mm x 63mm x 33mm, and also that of the Hypex SMPS400A400 on Hypex's web site, 105mm x 100mm x 42mm. It seems like it might be possible to get 7 of these in a standard 17" (430mm) chassis (430mm / 7 == 61.4mm). (The Hypex SMPS1200A400 at 55mm would probably be wildly too tall.) There would be a heat dissipation issue, so it might be better to just go with a single larger SMPS?

I ask because I have an extremely constrained space and pretty much need a 7 channel amplifier in a standard sized chassis, preferably with a trigger input for powering on. It looks like Lyngdorf is going to be producing an 8 channel version with their announced MXA-8400 product, but I'm guessing that they'll want Big Bucks for that. Of course, given that this is being developed by Peter Lyngdorf, a co-founder of Purify, may make that worth the cost ...

Casey

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hey @March Audio, do you think that's it's feasible to put 7 of the 1ET400A amplifier modules in a single chassis? I looked at the physical dimension of the 1ET400A on Purifi's web site, 88mm x 63mm x 33mm, and also that of the Hypex SMPS400A400 on Hypex's web site, 105mm x 100mm x 42mm. It seems like it might be possible to get 7 of these in a standard 17" (430mm) chassis (430mm / 7 == 61.4mm). (The Hypex SMPS1200A400 at 55mm would probably be wildly too tall.) There would be a heat dissipation issue, so it might be better to just go with a single larger SMPS?

I ask because I have an extremely constrained space and pretty much need a 7 channel amplifier in a standard sized chassis, preferably with a trigger input for powering on. It looks like Lyngdorf is going to be producing an 8 channel version with their announced MXA-8400 product, but I'm guessing that they'll want Big Bucks for that. Of course, given that this is being developed by Peter Lyngdorf, a co-founder of Purify, may make that worth the cost ...

Casey
Hi Casey

In a word no.

One problem is if you want full power from each channel you would need 7 smps400A400 supplies. You would need 4 smps1200A400 supplies or 1 smps3ka400. Second is you also need input buffers for each board which increases the size. See pictures in the OP.

I am guessing this is for AV application. If so, I would suggest that the 1et is possibly overkill for surround channels. A different option would be a 3 channel 1et amp to serve front L, R and centre. Use your existing avr amps to power the surrounds.

Last edited:

Casey Leedom

Yeah, I was thinking that. Thanks for your response @March Audio. I need a 7-channel solution that's compact because of my space logistics. My primary use is 2-channel stereo audio (music), but I also need to accommodate a 5.1 Home Theater in the same space, as well as a Second Zone on the Front Porch for parties. I'll have to think of my options.

And again, thanks for your attention and thoughts!

Casey

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Yeah, I was thinking that. Thanks for your response @March Audio. I need a 7-channel solution that's compact because of my space logistics. My primary use is 2-channel stereo audio (music), but I also need to accommodate a 5.1 Home Theater in the same space, as well as a Second Zone on the Front Porch for parties. I'll have to think of my options.

And again, thanks for your attention and thoughts!

Casey
Marantz nr1710 is a slimline AV amp. You could use that plus a a decent DAC and 1et amp for the music Left and Right.

Oh as another alternative place a pair of high quality small monoblocks next to / behind the speakers. ;)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as your source can drive the 4.4 ohm input impedance then there's absolutely no issue running it with the buffer bypassed. Any source worth buying can do this easily. Purifi themselves run the amp with the buffer bypassed from the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. It sounds and measures way better with the buffer bypassed.
With the upcoming Ghent Purifi kit, one will be able to buy a stereo version with the Purifi input board for only $1200. And you'll have the option to run buffered, or unbuffered with simple jumpers. Knowing this why would anyone pay over double for these? Where's the $1300 "value add"? One could buy 2 of the Ghent amps for less and bi-amp each speaker if they wanted. And we actually have measurements of the Purifi amp. Where March doesn't provide any because he can't afford the proper equipment to test his amplifiers properly.
You can easily trump every single amplifier discussion by pointing out a "better" DIY solution which pretty much defeats the purpose of this thread; our goal on this thread is to explore ways to help March Audio improve their Purifi offerings if there is a business case for it, and also as consumers and prospective purchasers, better understand the designer's performance objectives and compromises. I for one am thankful that Mr. March and our well informed commenters have enlightened me of the edge cases where the low gain amplifier can be beneficial. I am definitely among the consumers that these amplifiers are targeting. I may be generalizing but I'm pretty confident that people don't read these threads looking for alternative DIY options. This thread is part of my consumer due diligence in getting to know the manufacturer, his engineering compromises and his design goals; as no amplifier is perfect, it is nice to know the well considered strengths and weaknesses of this amplifier. I am grateful Mr. March has chosen to prioritize the "typical consumer system" which is exactly what I have: affordable "hi fi" gear is hard to find, and this industry is so filled with marketing snake oil that we should be celebrating these small batch manufacturers who are doing what they can to bring quality to the masses.

Am I looking for an excuse to buy the Benchmark AHB2? Absolutely! But I need to build gear specifically meant to take advantage of its strengths... but that's another thread for another day LOL

Voxy

Is it possible to stack the mono block amp vertically without generating heat issues in an enclosed cabinet?
Thanks

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Best guess on when you will be able to roll out the Purifi stereo version? Thanks in advance for your response.

slingshot

I noticed that there is a three year warranty which is a plus. Most are two years.
My Citibank CC gives me an extra two years after the manufacturer's warranty expires.
I look forward to Amir's review of these amps.

Voxy

Hey Alan, u still have not tell me if stacking them will generate heat in enclose cabinet.... I am evaluating all options. Pls advice.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hey Alan, u still have not tell me if stacking them will generate heat in enclose cabinet.... I am evaluating all options. Pls advice.
Well ALL class d and their psus do generate heat. You have about 20 watts of idle losses, so 40 watts with 2 units. If you put that in an enclosed cabinet it will get warm.

Probably not too hot to be of concern but I would recommend some kind of ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom