• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Hi my subwoofer handles 250w aes @ 8 ohms. Which amp do you recommend

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi my subwoofer handles 250w aes @ 8 ohms. Which amp do you recommend
Hi

Is it just a passive sub with no amp on board? If so I would recommend the P122 as it is possible to run this in BTL mode as a mono amp and it will achieve 250W RMS into 8 ohms. Just a simple wiring modification required.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi @restorer-john another one for you, the P252 rated power (FTC) test.

Both channels 11.3 V rms into 4 ohms =32 Watts for 1 hour, followed by 31.6 V rms = 250 Watts for 5 mins.

Survived just fine :)

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well for the time just one due to space.
In fact I can do the BTL mod with the xlr input cables (swap phase on one input) so no need to mod the amp at all, just use an adaptor input cable. This means you can always revert to using it as a stereo amp.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In fact I can do the BTL mod with the xlr input cables (swap input phase on one input) so no need to mod the amp at all, just use an adaptor input cable. This you can always revert to using it as a stereo amp.
This is by far the easiest way of achieving BTL with any stereo amplifier that hasn't already got a BTL output.

With amplifiers that have unbalanced inputs only, I use a 1:1 transformer. Ideally a centre-tapped one, but even without the CT, it works fine with just a reduction in gain. Perfect for PA gigs which suddenly need more power.

S.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The avr has rca sub out only it needs custom cable i suppose or is it not possible? Will this affect the audyssey calibration it has?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The avr has rca sub out only it needs custom cable i suppose or is it not possible? Will this affect the audyssey calibration it has?
I will post some diagrams to explain BTL later, but essentially it makes no difference to your AVR, its just an adaptor cable, which I can supply, that turns the single RCA to a twin XLR.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

With a different amplifier you will probably want to rerun Audyssey so it correctly handles any difference in gain and latency from old to new.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I will post some diagrams to explain BTL later, but essentially it makes no difference to your AVR, its just an adaptor cable, which I can supply, that turns the single RCA to a twin XLR.
Maybe you could offer an accessory cable for those wanting to bridge?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
What about peak power is the bridged amp enough or the mono version is more appropriate?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What about peak power is the bridged amp enough or the mono version is more appropriate?
The stereo P122 is your cheapest and most appropriate option in my opinion. You could use just one channel but that will only provide 75watts rms into 8 ohms and have one channel doing nothing. Running it mono in bridged mode will provide 250 watts rms into 8 ohms. That will match the capabilities of your passive sub and is pretty loud! Peak power will be at least 350 watts and possibly a little more. I'm intending to perform some tone burst tests to evaluate.

As Don mentioned just re run audyssey when you plug in the new amp to set levels and timing correctly.

The adaptor cable is fairly cheap and simple, just let me know if you want one made up. I will put it as an option on the website very soon.

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Oooh any spoilers for us as to what your cables will look like? I would assume they will match the color scheme of everything else?

Any colour you like as long as its black ;)

Amphenol connectors. Although available in various colours, I have settled on the silver ones for the RCA/TRS and black for the XLR.

Cable will be Belden/Canare/Mogami, actually still musing over the best options but either way you wont see any audiophile solid silver cryogenically treated nonsense, just technically correct high quality parts.

.........and of course if you really want braid that can be added as an option (it will of course improve sound quality by at least 206.3% ;) ).

ca1.jpg

ca2.jpg

1548293909398.png

Headphonaholic

Any colour you like as long as its black ;)

Amphenol connectors. Although available in various colours, I have settled on the silver ones for the RCA/TRS and black for the XLR.

Cable will be Belden/Canare/Mogami, actually still musing over the best options but either way you wont see any audiophile solid silver cryogenically treated nonsense, just technically correct high quality parts.

.........and of course if you really want braid that can be added as an option (it will of course improve sound quality by at least 206.3% ;) ).

View attachment 20741

View attachment 20742

View attachment 20740
Oh nice, I like those connectors, they look good! I've done a bit of reading about cables since I was considering building some balanced cables for a few of my headphones and Mogami seems to be a good choice. I actually bought some, haven't gotten around to building the cables yet though. I am a fan of the soft fabric braiding that is sometimes used on cables. As long as the cables are flexible I think I would be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom