• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio HPA1

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
LOL. look for the fourth leg.

I wonder how many thousands of us got our start in electronics with kits like that. Can that sort of thing even be sold today?
No way they would stuff like that today, just like chemistry sets when we were kids.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
No way they would stuff like that today, just like chemistry sets when we were kids.

Can you imagine the disclaimers you'd need to sign before getting your kid one of those?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Absolutely. I worked for and managed Tandy Electronics in Southport Qld for several years from 1987 to 1990/1. Intertan was the company (Barrie Canada) covered the international operations of TC (Tandy Corp).

At that point, there were 9000 stores worldwide.

Some of the best times of my life to be honest. The annual conferences were hang-the-expense.
Did you guys give out free batteries, Or was that just a US thing?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
1593085608906.png

I had one of these. It set my career path.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I found my old chemistry set when we cleaned out my Dad's house a couple of years ago. I had several; this was the last, a big double metal folding box of goodies. Never found my old Radio Shack (Tandy) electronics kit, though. The later ones went to the white perf strips or whatever you call them. You can still get those today (electronic kits), not sure about chemistry kits.

Re. LDR as volume controls: I wish I had kept my old measurement data -- most of my early notes were lost in a move (small truck filled with papers and such crashed, I think, and we lost most everything in it -- insurance covered the "value" but not the memories and much was irreplaceable). It was noisy and not terribly stable. I made a fancy regulated supply (fairly new thing then) for the light source, and was working on a feedback loop to control intensity that helped, but ultimately decided it was not worth it. A couple of manufacturers used them, briefly, with nice marketing to match, but they only lasted a year or so before being replaced by stepped attenuators and such. It was years later I learned the films used were intrinsically noisier than standard resistor materials, and some of them had fairly high voltage coefficients as well so would modulate with signal.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Did you guys give out free batteries, Or was that just a US thing?

Yes. The battery a month card. As a little kid I used to get my free battery and then ironically as a young Tandy store manager I used to hand the batteries out to little kids, old ladies and sometimes a whole family would come in for several free batteries each month.

Hold the presses: I've dug out the Radio Shack Science Fair electronics kit I found a few years ago in a thrift store. It is the deluxe 150 in 1 set in the wooden case in absolutely time machine condition. The wire bundles were not even undone apart from maybe enough to do the first few projects. Some kid got it Christmas 1979 (judging by the date code on the manual), didn't use it and I picked it up nearly 40 years later.

Don't know why I bought it other than reminiscing I suppose. It even had 4 AA batteries (not leaked either) old Eveready and Comet- made in Australia.

IMG_3710 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3709 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3712 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3711 (Medium).jpeg

Note. All the wires are perfect, ends perfectly tinned and even the little black cover for the cds cell is there. Absolutely 100% complete. Not a rusty or stretched spring anywhere.
IMG_3708 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3714 (Medium).jpeg

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
LOL. look for the fourth leg.

Sorry, in the four legged variety, we only have AF-135/138 BF-182/4, BFY-90. :(

A pile of AC-xxx and a ton of old ITT, Sanyo and Fairchilds. The gold plated ones look like new. And even some BC-158 "miniature" plug-ins for your visual enjoyment.
IMG_3718 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3719 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3720 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3721 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_3722 (Medium).jpeg

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Yes. The battery a month card. As a little kid I used to get my free battery and then ironically as a young Tandy store manager I used to hand the batteries out to little kids, old ladies and sometimes a whole family would come in for several free batteries each month.

Hold the presses: I've dug out the Radio Shack Science Fair electronics kit I found a few years ago in a thrift store. It is the deluxe 150 in 1 set in the wooden case in absolutely time machine condition. The wire bundles were not even undone apart from maybe enough to do the first few projects. Some kid got it Christmas 1979 (judging by the date code on the manual), didn't use it and I picked it up nearly 40 years later.

Don't know why I bought it other than reminiscing I suppose. It even had 4 AA batteries (not leaked either) old Eveready and Comet- made in Australia.

View attachment 70734View attachment 70735View attachment 70736View attachment 70737

Note. All the wires are perfect, ends perfectly tinned and even the little black cover for the cds cell is there. Absolutely 100% complete. Not a rusty or stretched spring anywhere.
View attachment 70738View attachment 70739
Yep, I had the 150 in one :)

Top Bottom