• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio HPA1

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
This should be a great pairing with the new Topping D50s, which features remote volume control. For those that don't want to use software volume control (potential unexpected loud music).

Would just need RCA-to-XLR cables. Any issues with that @March Audio ?

Also, what is the current output (RMS) into 16 ohms?

And price?
No issue with that at all BUT they do have to be wired correctly. i.e. the shield is connected to low at the far RCA end.

1563970776858.png

There really are no issues with unexpected loud music with digital volume. It just doesnt happen if you set up your system correctly. i.e. exclusive mode and disable the dac in windows sound.

Output current limits at around 140mA

Amirs measurements of the prototype are here
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/march-audio-hpa1.4430/post-114826

Price probably going to be $350 USD

Music1969

Major Contributor
Price probably going to be $350 USD

Thanks. Expected shipping date?

It just doesnt happen if you set up your system correctly. i.e. exclusive mode and disable the dac in windows sound.

I know some Roon + KEF LS50W (actives) users (using Roon's volume control) that have had unexpected full volume.... It shouldn't happen but unfortunately for their ears, it did.

I prefer to have a physical remote control in hand, or knob on DAC. The new Topping D50s has both (joystick on front), using ESS's built-in 32bit digital volume control.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks. Expected shipping date?

I know some Roon + KEF LS50W (actives) users (using Roon's volume control) that have had unexpected full volume.... It shouldn't happen but unfortunately for their ears, it did.

I prefer to have a physical remote control in hand, or knob on DAC. The new Topping D50s has both (joystick on front), using ESS's built-in 32bit digital volume control.

A few weeks, I have cases now, just need to get more boards manufactured (had a lot of QA issues with one supplier).

I have used Roon with digital volume for a number of years now without a single issue.

I know some prefer physical controls but these days with apps such as Roon or J River etc it just seems so superfluous. If you are selecting music with the app on your tablet or phone, why not the volume?

Music1969

Major Contributor
A few weeks, I have cases now, just need to get more boards manufactured (had a lot of QA issues with one supplier).

Cool

I have used Roon with digital volume for a number of years now without a single issue.

Just one story is enough to turn me off relying 100% on software volume control. And I've heard a few from Roon users, not only with LS50W's but guys going direct from DAC to power amps.

I'm not concerned with the loss of resolution (there is none in practical terms) of digital volume control but I am concerned about a Roon bug showing up one day (as others have experienced - I know you haven't personally) and blasting full volume at my headphones.

I know some prefer physical controls but these days with apps such as Roon or J River etc it just seems so superfluous. If you are selecting music with the app on your tablet or phone, why not the volume?

It's not superfluous for those that had full volume blasting :)

I know you mentioned you never had this but unfortunately others have. That's just a reality.

Avoiding this is a very nice reason to go for something like the new Topping D50s with remote volume control.

Plus the new Topping D50s has no ESS IMD 'hump' either. Will make a nice pairing with this headamp.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Cool

Just one story is enough to turn me off relying 100% on software volume control. And I've heard a few from Roon users, not only with LS50W's but guys going direct from DAC to power amps.

I'm not concerned with the loss of resolution (there is none in practical terms) of digital volume control but I am concerned about a Roon bug showing up one day (as others have experienced - I know you haven't personally) and blasting full volume at my headphones.

It's not superfluous for those that had full volume blasting :)

I know you mentioned you never had this but unfortunately others have. That's just a reality.

Avoiding this is a very nice reason to go for something like the new Topping D50s with remote volume control.

Plus the new D50s has no ESS IMD 'hump' either. Will make a nice pairing with this headamp, with it's built-in digital volume control

If it were a bug in Roon there would be many reports of volume going haywire. I havent seen this. I havent experienced this even though I use Roon every single day with multiple devices. I strongly suspect people that have had issues have not set up the system correctly. Roon and J River can also set volume limits.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I havent experienced this even though I use Roon every single day with multiple devices.

Yes I appreciate you've never had a problem. Something for others to think about I guess.

Plus the new Topping D50s has multiple inputs.... if accidentally changing inputs from '100% software volume control' to another digital source, that can be disastrous too, if one forgets about the level differences...

So if using multiple sources, that's another reason the D50s's built-in volume control and remote volume control will be handy with your amp.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Yes I appreciate you've never had a problem. Something for others to think about I guess.

Plus the new Topping D50s has multiple inputs.... if accidentally changing inputs from '100% software volume control' to another digital source, that can be disastrous too, if one forgets about the level differences...

So if using multiple sources, that's another reason the D50s's built-in volume control and remote volume control will be handy with your amp.

Im not knocking the D50 solution, it sounds a great option but you really have to put this volume issue into perspective. I have also left analogue volume controls turned up and blasted myself switching inputs. You cant account for pilot error. I am quite confident that the issues you say some have encountered are not to do with Roon because many would see them if there was a fundamental problem.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
You cant account for pilot error.

Correct but having the volume control solution that Topping D50s has may save people's ears from a potential dangerous accident... when switching DAC inputs for example.

That can be a good enough reason, alone, putting things in perspective - protecting our ears :)

Maybe a volume control option can come to your DAC2?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Correct but having the volume control solution that Topping D50s has may save people's ears from a potential dangerous accident... when switching DAC inputs for example.

That can be a good enough reason, alone (putting things in perspective).

Maybe a volume option can come to your DAC2?

I disagree. If I stay in bed all day and do nothing I can avoid a potential accident. Hell even that might be risky.......

As I mentioned, I have blasted myself switching amp inputs because I left the analogue volume control high.

Anyway, what if you leave the Topping D50 volume up high? Guess what, you will blast yourself. Its no different.

Putting in perspective means assessing the actual risk and not going on anecdotal "someone got blasted somewhere".

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I disagree. If I stay in bed all day and do nothing I can avoid a potential accident. Hell even that might be risky.......

Putting in perspective means assessing the actual risk and not going on anecdotal "someone got blasted somewhere".

This is a real risk in my opinion. It's clear you disagree and you probably want people to buy your DAC1 with this HPA1. That's completely understandable.

People will think of the risk discussed above and think for themselves.

Luckily there's a great option to go with your fantastic HPA1, the new Topping D50s, which reduces a lot of the risk being discussed....

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The same risk applies to the D50 in the circumstances you describe.

My DAC1 is irrelevant to the realities and potential risk. Software volume in the likes of Roon or J River does not have issues and you can set volume limits.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The same risk applies to the D50 in the circumstances you describe.

Not the new D50s with remote control and volume buttons on the front... using the ESS DAC chips internal digital volume control.

Never read anywhere of those suddenly going to full volume.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Not the new D50s with remote control and volume buttons on the front... using the ESS DAC chips internal digital volume control.

Never read anywhere of those suddenly going to full volume.

Of course it does if YOU leave the volume control up high :)

and neither have I read about Roon going full volume all by itself. If you search problems of this nature they are caused by endpoints and their software bugs (Naim and Develiate specifically) not Roon driving a simple DAC.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Of course it does if YOU leave the volume control up high :)

You mean if the user turns it up high? That's different to unexpected sudden full blast though :)

and neither have I read about Roon going full volume all by itself. One problem was caused by Develiat, not Roon

That's still a separate thing to switching inputs and forgetting about level differences.

Solved with the new Topping D50s's volume control

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You mean if the user turns it up high? That's different to unexpected sudden full blast though :)

That's still a separate thing to switching inputs and forgetting about level differences.

Solved with the new Topping D50s's volume control

What unexpected blast through???????

No its no different. You can for example have an analogue integrated amp with inputs at different levels. Its absolutely no different, and I have done precisely this myself - switched to a different louder input and blasted myself. You can repeat yourself as much as you like but your point doesnt hold water.

Last edited:

SPiTFiREgr

Well, turning the digital volume down means to lose bits, so not sure if this is bitperfect or not. What's important is by lowering the volume to not decrease DAC's SINAD lower than it's default value (probably any figure between 18 to 20 bits should do).

I've asked Amir about it. Here is our conversation:

Owning a DAC/Audio Interface that features a "controller" volume knob that simply instructs the DAC circuity to lower the volume of it's output (like my Clarett 2Pre), is essentially cutting bits off that 24bit stream.

By having a 32-bit DAC, you can have a 24-bit stream with extra padding/headroom to attenuate the stream digitally without losing any information. Same thing as a 32/64-bit DAW mixer.

If you have a 24-bit DAC interface that uses digital attenuation for volume control, in order not to lose any bit/information you have to leave the volume knob at max and use an external, analog monitor volume control prior reaching your monitor amp stage.

Is that correct? Should I prefer to use an external, passive / analog monitor volume control instead of my Clarett 2Pre digital volume knob?

The DAC chip of the interface is the AK4413

Thanks in advance for your time!

Best regards

I plan to actually measure the different methods of attenuation and objectively figure out what is going on.

For now, no DAC is better than 20 bits. The last four bits are noise. So even if the internal math is at 24 bits, it has a way to go to lose accuracy. So while 32 bit is better, I don't think 24 is a problem either.

I would not add an analog stage externally just for volume control. Such a stage will struggle to have much more than 16 to 20 bits of dynamic range.

You can use software volume control in your DAW which likely is at least 32 bits and control your DAC at full volume that way.

Thanks for your answer.

What always scrambled my head is the role of LSB / MSB in digital attenuation. Is it in any way relative to the calculation of the resulting digital stream? Is the LSB always the one that gets "cut off" from the resulting calculation of digital attenuation?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've asked Amir about it. Here is our conversation:
Not matter who says this even it's amir. Digital volume control doesn't attenuate noise it's a fact and no room for discussion. 10kohm or less pot will improve a lot in dynamic range at any volume except maximum.

Top Bottom