• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio HPA1

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Well, turning the digital volume down means to lose bits, so not sure if this is bitperfect or not. What's important is by lowering the volume to not decrease DAC's SINAD lower than it's default value (probably any figure between 18 to 20 bits should do).

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, turning the digital volume down means to lose bits, so not sure if this is bitperfect or not. What's important is by lowering the volume to not decrease DAC's SINAD lower than it's default value (probably any figure between 18 to 20 bits should do).

32 or 64 bit volume control does not lose any resolution.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Also when use digital attenuation it must not be bit perfect. Whether or not it affects performance is a different question.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If the noise doesn't gets attenuation you lose snr. It doesn't matter if it's 24bit or 64bit digital volume control.

Yes I have been through this in another post elsewhere, I will try and find the link.

That is correct, but it is in reality a theroretical problem and not a real world problem.

Dacs are now so quiet that even when the HPA1 is set to +6dB gain it is entirely silent. The noise floor is way below audibilty. So instead of the very real problems with analogue volume pots such as channel balance and noise which both get worse with wear, you have perfect balance and convenience of volume control through your app.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Anyway, its been a very long time coming but we are nearly there.

hpa1 1.jpg

hpa1 2.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Oooh, I like it!

One thing. There is no polarity symbol on the 2.1/2.5mm DC jack. I'm hoping there's a diode to protect it, or a full wave bridge so it doesn't matter...

1563957437173.png

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Oooh, I like it!

One thing. There is no polarity symbol on the 2.1/2.5mm DC jack. I'm hoping there's a diode to protect it, or a full wave bridge so it doesn't matter...

View attachment 29957
It certainly is protected. It will be in the manual (along with a note about "super duper" alternate power supplies not doing anything beneficial). I know you will probably find a dozen examples ;) but do many bits of kit these days have neg on centre pin?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I know you will probably find a dozen examples ;) but do many bits of kit these days have neg on centre pin?

No, I agree. Thank goodness most 'sensible' manufacturers have standarised on centre pin positive.

But you know consumers, if they can f#$k it up, they will.

As for the nut, I quite like it. It's convex, chromed and looks the goods. Sure, you can have some scalloped, fluted, gold plated fiasco, but it's purely a mechanical mount and a hex nut does it well.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
No, I agree. Thank goodness most 'sensible' manufacturers have standarised on centre pin positive.

But you know consumers, if they can f#$k it up, they will.

As for the nut, I quite like it. It's convex, chromed and looks the goods. Sure, you can have some scalloped, fluted, gold plated fiasco, but it's purely a mechanical mount and a hex nut does it well.

I certainly didnt want a board mounted one without mechanical fixing to the front panel. Board mounted will fail over time due to stress on the joints.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Music1969

Major Contributor
This should be a great pairing with the new Topping D50s, which features remote volume control. For those that don't want to use software volume control (potential unexpected loud music).

Would just need RCA-to-XLR cables. Any issues with that @March Audio ?

Also, what is the current output (RMS) into 16 ohms?

And price?

Last edited:
Top Bottom