• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio DAC1 now available

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hope things go well. I saw you had this up, and yesterday posted a link to your product over on a thread at CA. The question was less than $500 DACs that were of good quality and not effected by the USB connection. So yours fit the bill, measures excellent, sounds excellent, and I could say "yes, I've heard it with my own golden ears, it gets my stamp of approval".

Thats brilliant, thank you. I do have a March Audio CA account, just havent started posting yet. I was going to wait until Amir had the chance to review so there was some hard technical performance data to discuss.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have a Pioneer PL L1000/Shure V15 IV and Technics SL10/ EPS-310MC. Currently not used.

My amp doesn't have a phono stage. I am looking to getting one but just haven't got around to it.
......mmmmmmm......OK I am thinking about this, could be a nice little product but would have to wait a few months until the rest of the range is sorted out.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Consider 'very high performance' in phono stages is relative these days to what else is being produced. We are a long way from the performance heights of the phono preamplifiers stages of old.

After the introduction of CD, phono stages essentially became 'legacy' stages with a massive downgrading of performance. A huge part of the cost of preamplifiers prior to CD was the high quality phono stages, due to the very lowest noise, carefully matched and expensive high gain, wide bandwidth devices they used.

This is the phono stage specs of one of my favourite preamplifiers. When did you last see a current manufacture phono stage even come remotely close to these numbers? And this preamplifier wasn't even that expensive back when new.

View attachment 18781

The phono stage is a beautiful discrete design (IC DC servo), fully DC coupled and runs on +/-32V rails with a very low output impedance. It would be a fantastic design to modify for a standalone product.

Admittedly I havent performed any real research into this as of yet, do you feel the above is close to state of the art?

I know I can achieve this sort of spec for the front end gain pre RIAA:

1544751135840.png

pix10x10g.gif

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
My hearing doesn't justify SOTA.

One of these will probably meet my needs: NAD PP4 About $AU250. It will have to wait until my audio budget recovers from the new TV plus LSR305 MkIIs purchase. :(

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
My hearing doesn't justify SOTA.

One of these will probably meet my needs: NAD PP4 About $AU250. It will have to wait until my audio budget recovers from the new TV plus LSR305 MkIIs purchase. :(
SOTA doesnt necessarily entail ultra expensive. Just needs good design and I wouldnt embark on the product if it was going to be half arsed :) , but to be honest it wouldnt come in at less than $400-500 US. Have to gauge whether there is a justifiable market.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
SOTA doesnt necessarily entail ultra expensive. Just needs good design, but to be honest it wouldnt come in at less than $400-500 US.

That sounds reasonable for a high performance product.

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’ve long followed and admired your work! I’m especially interested in your power amps. There’s been so much progress in transparent DACs and headphone amps, Now I’d like to see that kind of improvement in reasonably priced speaker amps.

Best of luck with your new (ad)venture, and thanks for meeting us here at ASR.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I’ve long followed and admired you work! I’m especially interested in your power amps. There’s been so much progress in transparent DACs and headphone amps, NOW I’d like to see that kind of improvement in reasonably priced speaker amps.

Best of luck with your new (ad)venture, and thanks more meeting us here at ASR.

Hi

As above I will start a thread on the power amps later today :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...do you feel the above is close to state of the art?...

No, I don't believe those numbers would be current state of the art. It was merely that excellent performance like that was achievable in the early 80s (that is the age of that preamplifier) and I see very few phono stages that are anything more than token affairs with poor specs- even plenty of the rather expensive ones. You have to pay thousands for a phono stage with even half decent specs these days.

Who out there really is pushing the boat out on phono stages that could be potential giant-killers at say $500-600? Ones that are essentially flawless and exceed by a huge margin, the potential of the format itself? There must be someone?

It'd need adjustable loading on both MC and MM to appeal to the right crowd. Implemented either by DIP switches or come with a nice selection of premade audiophool approved loading plugs in a velvet lined box or something.

This is the schematic (single ch RIAA stage only) of the specs I posted above, note the front and back end. No coupling caps. No LF distortion either. Quad paralleled 2SK369 FETs etc. You could mess with the MC and MM loading, change the servo IC to an approved audiophool OPAMP instead of the (perfectly suitable in this case) uA741.

1544758839295.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom