• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Amp Updates

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The P122, P252 and P502 amps have had a few updates recently.

They all now feature upgraded ETI Research BP20C speaker binding posts which are solid copper, not brass as found elsewhere, with a gold plating.

1599799301668.png

All amps now feature a 12volt trigger input for remote power control as standard.

rear.jpg

We have also implemented a clip indicator. This indicator is integrated with the power indicator to keep the simple clean looks of the amp. It flashes the power light considerably brighter if a clip event is detected.

Below is a video to demonstrate, apologies for the poor quality, it doesnt show it too well but the indication is very obvious when viewed directly.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
how is determined the threshold above which the light is blinking?
It is determined by the magic happening inside the Hypex module ;)

If you look at the waveform on a scope or on an FFT you can see it triggers as soon as it starts to flatten and harmonics start to rise rapidly.

ririt

It is determined by the magic happening inside the Hypex module ;)

If you look at the waveform on a scope or on an FFT you can see it triggers as soon as it starts to flatten and harmonics start to rise rapidly.
you will be consider as a heretic talking about magic on ASR! But I think it is a nice feature. Will you incorporate it on your coming P452?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Hypex modules also have a current sensor. I imagine with a bit of work that could be turned into a VU meter. Unlikely space in the March audio cases for that though :(

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Curious (not my field): is pure copper more or less likely than brass to corrode (oxidize), or are they they same? I think copper oxide insulates where silver oxide (tarnish) is conductive but long time since metallurgy...

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Curious (not my field): is pure copper more or less likely than brass to corrode (oxidize), or are they they same? I think copper oxide insulates where silver oxide (tarnish) is conductive but long time since metallurgy...
They are gold plated (without nickel - apparantly that helps ?!?) so they wont suffer oxidation.

Im not going to make any claims about the efficacy/influence on sound quality of copper over brass, although in theory copper is a better conductor.

The main reason for the change was that these are mechanically better than the old posts we used, allow better entry for spades and large cables. Just higher quality all round.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

A thin film of antixoxidant works.

NO-OX-ID-A was the required annointment in my Telco days.

Lots of copper around battery racks and rectifiers and power distribution cabinets and single point grounds.

1599883057195.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom