• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR8015 Review (Home Theater AVR)

DiscCollector

Hey, quick question (semi-related) for Amir:

In your Home Theater AVR/Processor SINAD chart (see review / first post) I keep seeing the "NAD M34" on there as one of the top performers (tied for highest).

I've never heard of such a beast - and I can't seem to find any review of it on the site.

Is this a typo, perchance?

quantum_wave

I would not consider this AVR as garbage. A SINAD of 95 may not rock the famous chart but is still enough not to be audible. An issue would be what Emotiva is showing. Lots of bugs - that is what an AVR or PrePro should be judged with.

Emotiva's current lineup is having a lot of bugs, eh, interesting and good to know. Could you point to some links to read up on that?

Koekerwauz_NL

Hello,

Can someone confirm that Marantz is using the AKM4458 DACS in the SR8015. (check by unscrewing the top cover)
Date of purchase would be nice also.
Many thanks already.
Denon is shifting to Ti for the DACS in their 2020/2021 line-up.
It might be that Marantz is also doing this, no source just the news from Denon and a German forum guy who states this for Denon.

"
Anstatt des AK4458VN werden in den Modellen
AVC-X6700H
AVR-X4700H
AVR-X2700H
AVR-X1600H
nun Texas Instruments "PCM5102A" als neuer DAC-IC verbaut.
Ob das auch für die Marantz-Modelle (SR8015, SR6015, NR1711, PM7000N, PM6007, CD6007) gilt, ist mangels PM noch unklar, aber wahrscheinlich.

"

MacCali

Major Contributor
Damn my 7013 must be* crap, good thing is I only paid 1100 for it new

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hello,

Can someone confirm that Marantz is using the AKM4458 DACS in the SR8015. (check by unscrewing the top cover)
Many thanks already.
It might be that Marantz is also doing this, no source just the news from Denon and a German forum guy who states this for Denon.

"
AVC-X6700H
AVR-X4700H
AVR-X2700H
AVR-X1600H
Ob das auch für die Marantz-Modelle (SR8015, SR6015, NR1711, PM7000N, PM6007, CD6007) gilt, ist mangels PM noch unklar, aber wahrscheinlich.

"
I can't confirm anything but I wouldn't be surprised. AKM's factory in Japan was destroyed by fire in October. Everyone's been looking for alternatives.
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/akm-factory-fire-shakes-up-pro-audio-industry

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Damn my 7013 must be* crap, good thing is I only paid 1100 for it new
IMO, There's no crap, Just some engineered better than others

MacCali

Major Contributor
IMO, There's no crap, Just some engineered better than others
Yes indeed, the only thing I point out is the power and measurement. As someone new to the audio community, I dont consider myself an audiophile, I have been in this less than a year nor do I consider myself any terms. However, I did purchase this unit for power reasons being someone new and I did see audioholics talking about how they guaranteed the 70% power. Beyond that it sounds great and amazing to me going off of the fact I have no experience with anything else.

As mentioned the price I paid for any 9 channel amplified system would probably not be such a good deal, I bought the Yamaha TSR from costco as well and tried that out for a bit. It didn't have the power with multiple speakers but definitely did sound nicer with that burbrown chip. At least when it came to tonality of stereo listening. But I returned that sucker when they said the 4k/120 wasn't going to pop.

But things became pretty clear for stereo listening when I got my first integrated amp, it was only 300 dollars on sale and it blows the marantz out of the water. Not fair to compare, as they are meant for two different things. Yet I feel if someone was going to pay the asking price of 2200 for this unit or even now 1599 it should be a little bit better.

Lastly, as it may not measure well it performs great, I use it on 5 channel system and my place feels like a full blow cinema at -15 in my theater room which is small. Just the beginning aint got nothing to complain about, I can only imagine what it measures.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Many thanks already.

"
AVC-X6700H
AVR-X4700H
AVR-X2700H
AVR-X1600H

"

No need to pop the cover, according to Marantz the 8015 has the AK4458.

The lower 2020 models have the 4458 too, but the new ones made in 2021 may have a different one.

The PCM5102A appears to be a rumor, most likely not true. There is a thread on this topic already.

Koekerwauz_NL

No need to pop the cover, according to Marantz the 8015 has the AK4458.

The lower 2020 models have the 4458 too, but the new ones made in 2021 may have a different one.

The PCM5102A appears to be a rumor, most likely not true. There is a thread on this topic already.

Thanks! You mean the Denon thread?
My SR8015 is produced in march 2021, so you are sure the AKM are inside instead of the Ti ones?
Just want to be sure before I pop the cover.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! You mean the Denon thread?
My SR8015 is produced in march 2021, so you are sure the AKM are inside instead of the Ti ones?
Just want to be sure before I pop the cover.

Yes, the one in the Denon thread. That's because the announcement was from Denon.jp site. Marantz has not made such announcement so may be they are not immediately affected by the shortage of the AKM IC. If you want to pop the cover and look it is up to you but Marantz clearly stated that the one in the SR8015 is the AK4458, no mentioning (that I am aware of, unless I missed something..) of replacing it with a different one.

(1) Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If you read through that Denon thread linked above, you will likely agree that the talk of the PCM5102 being the one is just rumor/hearsay. Again, the photos show in the Denon Japan site shows an IC similar to the AK4458 (same pin config for example) and there are only two. If it was the PCM5102, then there will be 7 just for the main zone channels for the X4700H and 8 for the SR8015. So yes I am sure but if you want someone to confirm it by the popping the cover then you just have to wait until someone does that.:) If it was in fact the PCM5102, then expect measured SINAD to drop, not going to happen!!

bigguyca

Yes, the one in the Denon thread. That's because the announcement was from Denon.jp site. Marantz has not made such announcement so may be they are not immediately affected by the shortage of the AKM IC. If you want to pop the cover and look it is up to you but Marantz clearly stated that the one in the SR8015 is the AK4458, no mentioning (that I am aware of, unless I missed something..) of replacing it with a different one.

(1) Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If you read through that Denon thread linked above, you will likely agree that the talk of the PCM5102 being the one is just rumor/hearsay. Again, the photos show in the Denon Japan site shows an IC similar to the AK4458 (same pin config for example) and there are only two. If it was the PCM5102, then there will be 7 just for the main zone channels for the X4700H and 8 for the SR8015. So yes I am sure but if you want someone to confirm it by the popping the cover then you just have to wait until someone does that.:) If it was in fact the PCM5102, then expect measured SINAD to drop, not going to happen!!

DAC IC in SR8015 will also change

Marantz made the same announcement at the same time: The DAC IC is changing in the SR8015.

https://www.marantz.jp/news/pressreleases/ja-jp/21001

FYI, at present the SR8015 and X6700H use the same DAC board (as well as most other boards: digital (HDMI), power amplifier modules, etc.) so any changes will likely affect both products.

bigguyca

Link does not work for me

Here is the translated text from the Marantz.jp website:

Notice Concerning D/A Converter Changes for Some Products
Due to the fire at Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd.'s semiconductor manufacturing plant on October 20, 2020, it has become difficult to continuously procure semiconductor components, including D/A converters, which are used in some of our products. We have continued to produce products using parts inventory already held by our company and parts newly procured from the market, but since it is expected that it will be difficult to resume supply of such parts at an early time, we have changed to replacement parts and have agreed to continue production.
Since D/A converters are components that have a particularly significant impact on the sound quality of products, we selected alternative components, redesigned peripheral circuits and software, evaluated sound quality by sound master, and performed sound tuning in the same process as when the new product was developed. As a result, we are now possible to continue delivering products of the same quality as before the D/A converter change, while maintaining the same sound quality, performance, and functionality as the previous products.
We will continue to make every effort to deliver products that satisfy our customers, so thank you very much.
Products subject to D/A converter changes

- CD Player:CD6007

- Pre-Main Amplifier:PM7000N,PM6007

- AV Amplifier:SR8015,SR6015,NR1711

https://www.marantz.jp/ja-jp/news/pressreleases/21001

The link that was posted worked yesterday, then not today. The link above worked a couple minutes ago, but who knows. You now have the text.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the translated text from the Marantz.jp website:

Notice Concerning D/A Converter Changes for Some Products
Due to the fire at Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd.'s semiconductor manufacturing plant on October 20, 2020, it has become difficult to continuously procure semiconductor components, including D/A converters, which are used in some of our products. We have continued to produce products using parts inventory already held by our company and parts newly procured from the market, but since it is expected that it will be difficult to resume supply of such parts at an early time, we have changed to replacement parts and have agreed to continue production.
Since D/A converters are components that have a particularly significant impact on the sound quality of products, we selected alternative components, redesigned peripheral circuits and software, evaluated sound quality by sound master, and performed sound tuning in the same process as when the new product was developed. As a result, we are now possible to continue delivering products of the same quality as before the D/A converter change, while maintaining the same sound quality, performance, and functionality as the previous products.
We will continue to make every effort to deliver products that satisfy our customers, so thank you very much.
Products subject to D/A converter changes

- CD Player:CD6007

- Pre-Main Amplifier:PM7000N,PM6007

- AV Amplifier:SR8015,SR6015,NR1711

https://www.marantz.jp/ja-jp/news/pressreleases/21001

The link that was posted worked yesterday, then not today. The link above worked a couple minutes ago, but who knows. You now have the text.

Thank you, I did do a search on Marantz including the .jp website before but failed to find what you found, no idea why..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't confirm anything but I wouldn't be surprised. AKM's factory in Japan was destroyed by fire in October. Everyone's been looking for alternatives.
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/akm-factory-fire-shakes-up-pro-audio-industry
Due to the fire at Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd.'s semiconductor manufacturing plant on October 20, 2020, it has become difficult to continuously procure semiconductor components, including D/A converters, which are used in some of our products.

I told y'all. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Koekerwauz_NL

Well, first the HDMI issue with an external box. Not handy, but okay. Now this DAC thing comes along which isn’t mentioned in spec-sheets what so ever. You really have to dig deep to harvest the right intel. Being open and honest is still difficult in these days. This is misleading. This product doesn’t have the DAC’s as the spec sheet says. Diesel scandal…anyone. Would i buy the SR8015 now….don’t know. I think i would have hold of until…
Audible, can’t say, cause i don’t have the product Marantz promised me. Am i happy with this product? Yes at first, but the joy starts to fade now.
Would be nice if Amir can test this ‘new’ version and see what the differences are?

Propheticus

I only see a specific DAC chip mentioned in the PDF specs for EU. It's not mentioned on the site nor the (online) manual. Only the performance characteristics:

D / A output:
Rated output — 2V (during 0dB playback)
Total Harmonic Distortion — 0.008% (1kHz, 0dB)
Signal-to-noise ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic range — 100 dB

The (Japanese) product page for the SR8015 also states in the features section:
"The D / A converter IC has been changed since the spring of 2021. Since the DAC is a component that has a particularly large effect on the sound quality of the product, when changing it, the circuit is redesigned and the sound tuning is performed in the same process as when developing the new product. We continue to deliver products of the same quality as before, while maintaining the same sound quality, performance, and functions as before. "

No mention of this on the international/EU promo page.

Since this announcement is from april, maybe the stock sold in EU until now was the original version?
Anyway should not matter when they indeed designed around the new chip to perform within the same performance characteristics... right? (ofc good to trust, but still verify)

Top Bottom