• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR8015 Review (Home Theater AVR)

H-713

Compared the The Truth Pre Amp inside picture to the Marantz SR8015 inside picture: https://www.stereoshop.co.il/items/3278036-Marantz-SR8015

Sorry, the picture of the inside does not fit into this sire limits, so it was rejected. Help would be appreciated.

Looks about like every other modern Marantz receiver. Reasonably neat, but nothing special. Would not be fun to service. Those heatsinks look pretty wimpy for 11 channels of power amplification though... even with fans on them it's a little borderline. I suspect you wouldn't want to push all 11 channels at once for very long.

Thank you so much for the review, but at 3.3k that's somewhat disappointing for the price.
And with 11ch of amplification, they seriously should explore Class D as an alternative to reduce excess heat. I had to put a laptop cooling pad on top of the SR6014 even when using external amplification.

YSC

Major Contributor
Adding a cooling fan is simple and inexpensive.
sometimes I am skeptic about this, since AVRs packed too many channels into a relatively compact size, as in computers, there's only so much a fan and small heat sinks can do to some monster heat producer. especially for AVRs they have relatively limited airflow, both in the form of air channels in the casing and that they typically are put inside some sort of racks which further limits it's airflow.

maty

Major Contributor
Resized and optimized (from Marantz's site)

marantz_sr8015_11_channel_amplifier.jpg

sgent

In theory I agree with everyone complaining about a separate processor and power amps. In the real world that setup is much more expensive since they charge you more for just a processor than they do for one with built in amps.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue of PSU/DAC noise as well as the slow filter seems to be the same in the Marantz NR1710 slim-line amp.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-the-marantz-nr1710-slim-line-av-amp.19997/

Would be interesting to measure the next coming generations slim-line AVR from Marantz as the form factor is really attractive IMO. I hope the line will continue and improve as I don't have any options to place these big units (poor WAF as well). Better to have pre-out for mains adding either active speakers or small power amps.

B4ICU

Like I have always thought and said. Home theatre is garbage and if you want good sound from music or movies stick to 2 channels. Yes, for movies two. This philosophy has served me well over the years.

Problem solved long time ago . Most two ch. Hi-End PreAmp has an HT bypass. So when watching a movie with multi ch. sound, all you need to do, is select that ch. The main two ch. of the AV processor / receiver are connected there and calibrated. It works well.
The two ch. on AV might be tricky when you can not select the 2 ch on the source audio menu (like cable!) So you don't get from that sound source
the bass (th .1 ch. for sub.) the center and more. With Dolby pro logic it could work. with Dolby Digital and on, it is completely separated and that
sound that is not on the 2 main ch. is lost.

B4ICU

I remember the time when a unit measuring like this would have gotten a headless panther... But new "softer" Amir is now using "AV product" scale when making recommendations.

Most get it passed with EQ. So maybe it is since Amir started to fix tested products with EQ. I wonder what would be the EQ replacement, it he would
test automobiles or TVs?
I think that the solution would not be EQ but TWA: Try With Another...
Or maybe SABENA (Scandinavian airlines) Such A Bloody Experience Never Again.
Did any one had try EL AL? After that, you would recommend any audio product, with or without EQ :). Just be happy it's over!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is that a usb wire in there?
It is either for that or HDMI. It is a very common hack to get HDMI or USB to the front panel. Without any kind of interlocking, it could disconnect itself.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
In theory I agree with everyone complaining about a separate processor and power amps. In the real world that setup is much more expensive since they charge you more for just a processor than they do for one with built in amps.
Yep, it makes zero sense. But they know enthousiasts will pay more anyway. If they would take their midrange AVR and remove all the amps and all the useless connections and just give us balanced pre-outs it would be an amazing machine. But unfortunately that just makes it more expensive.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But unfortunately that just makes it more expensive.
Nah. Makes it undercut the market. They run scared of upsetting the forklift upgrade lock-in the current structure enforces. The entire market desperately wants this box without the amps at a price competitive point. But they will never do it. They will always price the pre-pro version at much the same as the integrated version and try and convince you that the feeble balanced output daughter board is worth the same as the entire power amp.
I remain suspicious that there is an element of cartel behaviour involved here.

pma

Major Contributor
Why don't they use class-D amplification in AVRs? One would think that class D would be a prime candidate in this product class.

Hopefully, they do no use class D amplification (yet).

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can DAC filters be fixed through software update?

Top Bottom