• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR7015 8K AVR Review

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I believe many if not all of them are part of the licensing deal. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the HDMI licensing is cheaper if you put HDMI logo on your box. It adds up for mass-market volume. Once they start doing it then it becomes a negative thing not to put as many as you can for marketing reasons to compete with the others.

It is worse when they stencil in dts, dolby, etc as part of the front plate that cannot be removed. That may also have been licensing mandated. This has been going on for a long time.

What I find more ridiculous are the people who buy these and leave the stickers on (along with the plastic shipping cover on their couches and the dealer advertisement on their cars, etc). :D

I suspect it all has to do with licensing, which is consistent with the fact that you see this ugly crap on low-cost AVRs but not on the more costly models. The printed-on stuff I mean; they've all got the removable stickers. To me it is all very ugly. I am willing to pay whatever I have to pay to not have any of that printed-on proprietary-technology-promotion stuff on the front panel. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I am similarly willing to pay whatever it costs to have all the jacks and connector ports hidden behind a flip-down panel. Including even the headphone jack. And especially the ugly USB port. I suppose it's an OCD thing, but I'll never buy any component that has an exposed USB port that isn't covered up by a panel or door.

Todd74

Most external power amps have around 29dbs gain and 1.2v sensivity. If an owner doesn't go beyond 75 in volume level... ¿ Where is the real issue ? ¿ Could audible problems be expected ?

Of course the performance is below other models. Not arguing that by any means.
Piggybacking onto this, if the listener isn’t venturing beyond 72 on the volume, is there an audible difference between this and its Denon counterpart?... and if so, roughly how much?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To my way of thinking it would make more sense to support old S-video than component video. I'd have to do some research to be sure, but it seems like component video was the go-to for video for hardly any time before HDMI came along.
Component video was the HD output from the original Xbox so had wide appeal. Outside of that yes, it was a niche solution in consumer video although huge in professional/broadcast world.

gags11

Forum Donor
Given lots of folks use AVRs for watching movies with the DSP on, is there a way we can measure the SINAD with processing on? I feel measuring these AVRs in pure direct mode is almost meaningless for people who use the AVRs for their DSP and processing. How would AVRs compare when the DSP is on? I’m sure SINAD will suffer, but would be good to know how most compard in this respect.

bigguyca

how to explain such disappointing measurements especially when compared with the one of the SR 8015 provided by Audioholics?
Denon AVR displayed a much better homogeneity from the 3700 to the 6700...

The written form of the SR8015 review in Audioholics says concerning the SR8015: "Marantz armed the SR8015 with the latest HDMI 2.1 technology making your system ready for next generation 8K 48Gbps content."

Denon/Marantz has implemented 40Gbps not 48Gbps. There has been extensive discussion on this subject on numerous forums. Many people are not happy with the 40Gbps limit. Audioholics demonstrated that it doesn't understand the characteristics of the most significant upgrade/change in the 2020 D/M gear.

At about 8 minutes into the video form of the Audioholics SR8015 review/measurements the presenter says that the AES-17 weighting filter and A-weighting are essentially the same. A quick search on the Internet shows that this is not true. (Correct this statement if incorrect.) A-weighting is down about 50dB at 20Hz and 10dB at 20kHz. AES-17 appears to be flat between 20Hz and 20kHz. ASR appears not to use A-weighting for any of its measurements.

THD or noise measurements using A-weighting, depending on what is being measured, will "look" better than measurements using AES-17 filtering. Regardless of how the graphs are labeled, who knows what setup Audioholics used for the measurements?

In addition to the errors above, the written and video form of the SR8015 review in Audioholics in many sections, IMO, seems far more like a press release, or marketing presentation, than a purely objective review.

milosz

Forum Donor
With those slow filters and all that aliased high frequency garbage, is this thing going to be burning out tweeters? Especially considering the considerable power it can produce.... I can't imagine that any tweeters are going to like a steady diet of signals above 20 kHz, which the speaker crossover will surely let through.

Let's think of a test case here - synth bass low E below E 82.4 Hz- played at or near 0 dB (FLAC file on a USB drive, from a CD from the loudness wars era being played at a party...) ok so now we're going to get 44.1 kHz ± 82.4 Hz signals coming out of speaker outputs at around -40 dB if I read the graph correctly... max power is 150 watts or so, so were are going to have 150 milliwatts or so at this ultrasonic frequency when the music is cranked..... I guess that shouldn't vaporize any voice coils, but it will add to the thermal load of the tweeter which is also dissipating the "actual" treble sound it is being fed.

Why would anyone make a digital ANYTHING without a proper ultrasonic filter? I just don't get it.

Promit

Some years ago, I absolutely agonized over whether I should spend the extra coin on a Marantz unit instead of its cheaper Denon sibling. I'm building a nice (ish) HT setup, shouldn't I get a really good core AVR for it? Ultimately I did not buy the Marantz, and clearly I lucked out. Good lord.

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
...the written and video form of the SR8015 review in Audioholics in many sections, IMO, seems far more like a press release, or marketing presentation, than a purely objective review.
Audioholics previously indicated that they receive marketing money from Sound United and that it stopped around when the pandemic hit. IMHO, the money is flowing again.

gvl

Major Contributor
Let's think of a test case here - synth bass low E below E 82.4 Hz- played at or near 0 dB (FLAC file on a USB drive, from a CD from the loudness wars era being played at a party...) ok so now we're going to get 44.1 kHz ± 82.4 Hz signals coming out of speaker outputs at around -40 dB if I read the graph correctly...

The levels of images are bounded by the sinc function fortunately and images of low frequencies are pretty low.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Given lots of folks use AVRs for watching movies with the DSP on, is there a way we can measure the SINAD with processing on? I feel measuring these AVRs in pure direct mode is almost meaningless for people who use the AVRs for their DSP and processing. How would AVRs compare when the DSP is on? I’m sure SINAD will suffer, but would be good to know how most compard in this respect.
SINAD won't change with DSP on.

ririt

The one measurement was really good from that. If true, then it must have a very different implementation than 7015 and hence the reason they offered that one for testing. I could ask them about it....
Yes it would be great to understand such large differences...

milosz

Forum Donor
The levels of images are bounded by the sinc function fortunately and images of low frequencies are pretty low.

" sinc function"? What's that?

ririt

At about 8 minutes into the video form of the Audioholics SR8015 review/measurements the presenter says that the AES-17 weighting filter and A-weighting are essentially the same. A quick search on the Internet shows that this is not true. (Correct this statement if incorrect.) A-weighting is down about 50dB at 20Hz and 10dB at 20kHz. AES-17 appears to be flat between 20Hz and 20kHz. ASR appears not to use A-weighting for any of its measurements.
I am a newbie in these matters but interested to learn. Can you please provide useful links?

KaiserSoze

Component video was the HD output from the original Xbox so had wide appeal. Outside of that yes, it was a niche solution in consumer video although huge in professional/broadcast world.

Your background with MS is showing...

I was never knowledgeable of gaming consoles, and my memory isn't serving me especially well with the stuff that I used to know something about. I just now spent a little time to refresh and augment my memory.

S-Video was first introduced in 1987 with chrominance and luminance physically separated and using the round 4-pin DIN connector, however this wasn't the first instance of physically separating chrominance and luminance. At the time when S-video was introduced it was natural to physically separate the video by chrominance vs. luminance because of the way color information was carried in the NTSC broadcast signal, which was the standard in Japan as well as North America. (And that method for carrying color was kludgy because it needed to be backwards-compatible with the broadcast signal format for B&W TV. A local oscillator was needed in the receiver in the TV to provide a reference signal; if I remember correctly, hue was determined by the phase difference between the local oscillator and the chrominance signal that was squeezed into the video band. A signal for synchronizing the local oscillator was transmitted in the interstitial between consecutive frames, similar to the vertical sync, if I recall correctly.) Of course S-Video was never considered suitable for carrying HD, however in consumer electronics it was the only alternative to composite video from 1987 to the late 1990s, a period of eleven years.

Component video made an early appearance in the form of RGB as found in personal computer video monitor connectivity, where the connector was originally the 15-pin DIN connector, aka IBM VGA. I don't know when component video using three RCA connectors was first introduced or by whom. Perhaps the three-RCA-connector method was used in professional broadcasting prior to the date when the first HDTVs begin showing up. But the first I recall seeing the three-RCA-connector scheme was with early HDTVs, in 1998 or 1999. HDMI began appearing in consumer video in 2003, however it was an evolution of DVI and there were some consumer HDTV sets with some variation of DVI prior to 2003. HDMI included provision for audio whereas with DVI, audio had to be carried on a separate cable, and of course HDCP (copy protection) was introduced with HDMI.

As for the Xbox, I should say again that I was never particularly knowledgeable of game consoles, but I learned a little in the quick bit of research I just did. When the first Xbox was introduced towards the very end of 2001, it had composite video output. Evidently it didn't have S-video output (I haven't confirmed this), which isn't surprising considering that it was, after all, a game console. Component video first appeared in the Xbox with the Xbox 360, in early 2005, at least a year after HDMI began appearing in HDTV sets. The Xbox 360 came with an unusual cable, a bundle with the three RGB cables, plus a cable for the composite video signal for backward compatibility, plus stereo audio cables, all bundled together using a single connector to the console. It isn't surprising that component video would have been used in lieu of HDMI because, for one thing, most existing HDTV sets were still component-video-only, and it was reasonable to anticipate that future HDTV sets would continue to support component video. There was no compelling reason to adopt HDMI at that point, and cost containment would have dictated support for just one or the other. Possibly, the decision by MS to use component video in the Xbox 360 gave HDTV manufacturers more reason to continue supporting component video longer than they otherwise would have. I don't know about that, but the direct reason that component video outputs continued to appear on cable and satellite receivers and on some DVD players was that many existing, early HDTV sets were component-video-only.

KaiserSoze

Some years ago, I absolutely agonized over whether I should spend the extra coin on a Marantz unit instead of its cheaper Denon sibling. I'm building a nice (ish) HT setup, shouldn't I get a really good core AVR for it? Ultimately I did not buy the Marantz, and clearly I lucked out. Good lord.

I have no idea how much you are looking to spend or what features you're looking for, or whether you are amenable to gear that came out a couple of years ago, but if you are value-oriented, I just thought that I'd mention that Crutchfield presently has an outstanding deal on the Denon AVR-X4500H. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX4500/Denon-AVR-X4500H.html

Gedeon

Forum Donor
But anyone here is able to "hear/perceive" how "worse" is this receiver in a real room/setup when comparing with other ones ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Off topic, but how I wish HDTV and other displays had stuck with RGB. It would have prevented the hostage taking of the ever escalating HDMI standards that are a cash cow. That provide little if any value to the consumer. RGB or at least a simple digital standard and have sound run on its own separate digital connection. ARC be damned.

milosz

Forum Donor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_function

In this context it goes to 0 at multiples of sampling frequency.

Does this DAC employ ANY filter at all, though? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_filter for there to be a sinc function operating on the output there needs to be a DSP filter that performs this transform. Amirm says "essentially no filtering" on his graph at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-avr-dac-filter-audio-measurements-png.86253/

I wouldn't want to run expensive speakers with expensive tweeters on this AVR, it sends a LOT of ultrasonic noise to the speakers. Once it blew out a few thousand dollars of high-end tweeters I'd definitely get that sincing feeling ;)

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Does this DAC employ ANY filter at all, though? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_filter for there to be a sinc function operating on the output there needs to be a DSP filter that performs this transform. Amirm says "essentially no filtering" on his graph at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-avr-dac-filter-audio-measurements-png.86253/

I wouldn't want to run expensive speakers with expensive tweeters on this AVR, it sends a LOT of ultrasonic noise to the speakers. Once it blew out a few thousand dollars of high-end tweeters I'd definitely get that sincing feeling ;)

Do you really think that filter would put in danger speakers... ? I hope you don't.

Top Bottom