• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR6015 going in protection mode (Solved)

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,

I am facing a weird issue with my AVR Marantz SR6015 that goes in protection mode randomly.

It always powers up and operates correctly up to random and sudden loud pops in speakers followed by the device going in protection mode.
This issue started 1 weeks ago.
I had my setup in its current configuration for 2 years (except the addition of 2nd sub 2 weeks ago).
I moved in a new house 2 months ago but it is the same setup.

My configuration is hybrid : HC (5.2) and Music (2.2).

Both mains and subs are used in both configuration.

For music:
- streamer Node2i -> (toslink) -> Preamp/DSP Minidsp Flex unbalanced -> (RCA to XLR) -> power Amp boxem 3409
- Boxem ncore amp is feeding my 2 main speakers (Magnat Quantum 759 TOTL).
- Minidsp Flex feeds 2 SVS SB1000 pro (RCA)

For HC:
- Internet media box -> (hdmi) -> AVR Marantz SR6015 -> (hdmi) - > Android TV
- SR6015 powers center and surrounds channels
- I am using the SR6015 fronts preouts (RCA) to feed the minidsp Flex unbalanced for front mains
- I am using the SR6015 sub outputs to feed the same SVS sb1000 pro subs (RCA).

I accessed the protection history mode of the SR6015 and it shows few protection mode events with the cause 'DC'.

Googing a bit, I found out that some similar issues were reported (with various cause such as defective power supply, hdmi card,...).

I naively tried to isolate a potential configuration issue.

I removed all connections from the AVR and tested reconnecting stuff step by step.

So far, I concluded the AVR behaves correclty (no protection mode for 1 week) when connected with hdmi and speaker level outputs (center, surrounds).
Then, today, I reconnected the front preouts to the minidsp Flex. I got a protection event this afternoon.

When the issue first occured 2 weeks, I thought it could be related the 2 subs.
Thus, it seems the issue occurs when something (minidsp flex) is connected to the AVR preouts/subs RCA outputs

Any ideas or advises?
Is there anything wrong is this setup and wiring? Or the unit has a hardware issue?

The worse thing is the SR6015 warranty ended only 2 months ago ( I bought it 2 years ago) :(

Thanks!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Pull (remove from circuit) the miniDSP and see if the problem recurs. If not, then the miniDSP unit is either defective or has some strange interaction with the Marantz. I would start by emailing miniDSP to see if they have advice. There are several things that could go wrong but it may be difficult to troubleshoot without test equipment. Isolation is usually an easy thing to try; you could place a line-level transformer (usually used to break a ground loop) or line-level attenuator before the miniDSP to see if that helps.

HTH - Don

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Thanks @DonH56.

In fact, I can't be sure the issue is linked to connecting the AVR to MiniDSP Flex.
Trying to isolate a potential connectivity issue is not straightforward as:
- these protection mode events are random and can occurs many hours after normal operating or after few minutes. Completely random. I cannot spend hours in front of my TC waiting for such events.
- to completely isolate the minidsp Flex from the equation with the AVR, I would need to impact music and remove subs and/or mains (as subs as both connected to minidsp and AVR). it would impact my daily dose of musics sessions :(
- I am using subs and mains in dual config (HC and music) and even if I disconnect either the mains of subs from the minidsp from the AVR, the AVR would still be indirectly connected to the minidsp as the AVR uses subs directly that are also connected to the Minidsp Flex.

And what is really weird is that this system ran OK for many many months without issues. And when I only listen music (AVR not involded, in stand by mode but still linked to the test of the system), there is no issues at all.

From your experience, what can cause the AVR to operate normally and randomly and suddenly going in protection mode (cause DC) ?
In this configuration, even when just watch news on TV at very low levels (and only the center channel getting signal) and the AVR being not hot at all at touch ?

I would think it is more an hardware issue on the AVR side. I will try to find a place where a can bring the AVR for verification.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks @DonH56.

In fact, I can't be sure the issue is linked to connecting the AVR to MiniDSP Flex.
Trying to isolate a potential connectivity issue is not straightforward as:
- these protection mode events are random and can occurs many hours after normal operating or after few minutes. Completely random. I cannot spend hours in front of my TC waiting for such events.
- to completely isolate the minidsp Flex from the equation with the AVR, I would need to impact music and remove subs and/or mains (as subs as both connected to minidsp and AVR). it would impact my daily dose of musics sessions :(
- I am using subs and mains in dual config (HC and music) and even if I disconnect either the mains of subs from the minidsp from the AVR, the AVR would still be indirectly connected to the minidsp as the AVR uses subs directly that are also connected to the Minidsp Flex.

And what is really weird is that this system ran OK for many many months without issues. And when I only listen music (AVR not involded, in stand by mode but still linked to the test of the system), there is no issues at all.

From your experience, what can cause the AVR to operate normally and randomly and suddenly going in protection mode (cause DC) ?
In this configuration, even when just watch news on TV at very low levels (and only the center channel getting signal) and the AVR being not hot at all at touch ?

I would think it is more an hardware issue on the AVR side. I will try to find a place where a can bring the AVR for verification.
Hi,

OK, I was thinking you said it went away when the miniDSP was removed, but if not then I agree with you that your experience and research points to a problem with the Marantz HW. Especially since in standby there is no problem. That actually makes more sense -- I was surprised attaching the miniDSP would shut the AVR down.

I do not have a Marantz and do not know what exactly a "DC" code means except that it may imply there is DC voltage on the output. That could be a bad output stage device or something else. There are many things that can go wrong inside, from a loose connection to a failing component (part) that "glitches" after getting warm or having voltage applied across it for hours. Random issues are extremely difficult to troubleshoot as you know, and that is also true for a factory tech unless they have seen similar problems (which your research does indicate). What you can try depends upon your level of technical expertise, test equipment, and time.

I would email Marantz and see what they say; maybe they'll help since it is just out of warranty (one can hope). They may or may not provide any sort of reason for the failure; customer service agents are not usually terribly technical. They may be able to provide contact info for a service center you could ask for more details.

Frustrating, been there - Don

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Thanks again @DonH56 :)

In fact, I am leaning towards that anything connected to the preouts and sub lien outputs might lead to the issue.
I'll check with Marantz but I am afraid that I will have to find a local repair to check the AVR.

Thanks.

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Little update, the AVR went again on protection just having the center speaker connected at speaker level (not preout).
Thus, no correlation with other connected equipment.
Definitely a hardware fault on the AVR.

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,

Things got finally sorted :)
After many back and forth and wait periods with Marantz customer technical support, I brought my unit to a marantz certified service center.
The issue was caused by the bridge rectifier in the power supply board and Marantz paid the repair costs.
I retrieved the unit today and everything seems back to normal :)

Top Bottom