• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR6014 AVR Review

bigguyca

I understand your point on the feedback effect, but logically speaking I don't buy that because in this case it is an "extra" unity gain buffer stage. If you cut it right out, it would have become a Denon, so the feedback effects should not apply.

Denon does not have this stage, so there is no more or less distortions due to the stage that is not there in the first place.

To me, if you add a buffer amp stage right before the power amp input and that buffer (HDAM in this case) has many parts on board including 10 transistors, you can expect add distortions and noises, period. I was hoping for significant improvements in impedance buffering for such unity gain buffer, but after looking at all the graphs carefully, I could see hints of that, but not significant at all. Now, if Amir did that same 600 ohm load test, we might begin to see something. As it is now, if I limit myself to use the Denon with amps that offer upwards of 20 kOhm, I can relax without second guessing whether I should have stayed with the Marantz line.

The reduced feedback is internal to the HDAM overall buffet circuit. This is commonly call an "HDAM," but as noted in a previous post, includes two HDAM circuits and a voltage gain stage. As a unity buffer the HDAM will have an external gain of 0dB. Just because the gain of the buffer is 0dB, the buffer will still add noise and distortion to the signal.

If the HDAM has relatively small open loop internal gain, that is gain before feedback is applied (the feedback loop is closed), then it will have more distortion when the feedback loop is closed (inside the HDAM) since there is less gain to use to reduce distortion. This is how feedback fundamentally works. All things being equal, the more gain is available for use for feedback, the lower the distortion.

Remove the HDAM and the added distortion and noise from the HDAM is removed. And yes, then, all things being equal, you do have a Denon. That is Amir's point that the HDAM is adding distortion. This explanation of gain and feedback is intended to provide one explanation of why the HDAM circuits will perform as they do.

BFerr

consider the fact that it is vintage!

I have a vintage receiver, a Carver 2000, which still sounds stellar to me and has great feeling switches up front as well. I'm wondering about the possibility of bridging it to something like the Marantz 7013 for surround in a small room (and to save a few $$) or the Denon 3600/3700 in a bigger room? The Carver has preouts for a signal processor, could I bridge to this is my question.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did I see it mentioned that the slimline marantz models don’t have HDAM? Would that mean they might measure more like the Denon’s?

bigguyca

Buffers are not Just HDAM's

It should be noted that the outputs of the HDAM circuits for the L and R channels in the SR6014 (and SR6013 and SR7013) are connected to the input of power amplifier channels and, in each case, an IC opamp buffer with a high input impedance. This IC opamp in turn drives the RCA output. This 0dB opamp buffer will increase the impedance seen by the HDAM output. Only the L and R channels have this IC opamp buffer.

The opamp buffer will not protect the HDAM circuit from the effects of the associated power amplifier channel clipping, but it will increase the load impedance seen by the HDAM under non-clipping conditions, which is good.

It is interesting that Marantz evidently judges that an added buffer is required for the HDAM circuits in this case. The added buffer will itself add noise and distortion since it is a physical piece of electronics.

The buffer IC opamp used is the NJR NJM8080. This is a dual opamp, two opamps in one package. The NJM8080 is the standard opamp used in D/M gear. The device is used in the DAC filter circuit seemingly in at least all middle and upper level AVR's and AVP's.

Here is the datasheet for the NJM8080.

https://www.njr.com/electronic_device/PDF/NJM8080_E.pdf

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I corrected the 1v / 0.775v error in a later post. (I was unable to edit my original post for whatever reason)

I refer you to Amir's own measurements of the 2200 (and they all measure well over the specified power - this is not unique)

229W per channel BOTH channels driven.

I have to take back what I said earlier. I thought I remember something special in that case so I re-read the review. Sure enough, Amir commented:
"Peter sent me a long list of parts he has upgraded including reservoir capacitors and such. As a result, I don't know how representative of measurements are of stock units although probably not too far off. "

So this specific sample is not representative of a normal, stock version of the NAD 2200. I have seen some old, not as old as the 2200, NAD amp that measured 50% over its specified output, but at 1% THD. I have never seen any NAD, or any unmodified amp measured more than 2X its rated output at low THD, or even 0.1%. Some amp can double down from 8 to 4 ohms, but not double in terms of measured vs specified, otherwise NAD would have specified quite bit more than 100 W, like 150 W, if not outright 230 W right? Nothing against NAD, they made good amps, and I have one myself.

I appreciate Amir's comment "not too far off", but I have read so many reviews with measurements, that I dare say the original version would likely measured well below 229 W, probably more like 150 to 180 W at the most and that's being generous. Anyway, this is way outside our original topic, but I think it may be important to mention this so that others can ignore my educated guess, but at least I hope they would think about it before taking the 229 W measured vs spec'ed to the bank if they are contemplating buying such an amp on eBay or something.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The reduced feedback is internal to the HDAM overall buffet circuit. This is commonly call an "HDAM," but as noted in a previous post, includes two HDAM circuits and a voltage gain stage. As a unity buffer the HDAM will have an external gain of 0dB. Just because the gain of the buffer is 0dB, the buffer will still add noise and distortion to the signal.

If the HDAM has relatively small open loop internal gain, that is gain before feedback is applied (the feedback loop is closed), then it will have more distortion when the feedback loop is closed (inside the HDAM) since there is less gain to use to reduce distortion. This is how feedback fundamentally works. All things being equal, the more gain is available for use for feedback, the lower the distortion.

Remove the HDAM and the added distortion and noise from the HDAM is removed. And yes, then, all things being equal, you do have a Denon. That is Amir's point that the HDAM is adding distortion. This explanation of gain and feedback is intended to provide one explanation of why the HDAM circuits will perform as they do.

Okay, then I think we agreed on this.:) Dr. Rich, the EE with a PhD obviously also agreed, that HDAM, while good for something, might have introduced additional distortions.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/marantz-av8805-processor-review/
Harmonic distortion has not improved from the AV8802 to the AV8805 as was expected from the new chips. The change in the worst-case THD specification between the chips used in the AV8802 and AV8805 points to a 50% distortion reduction. We know the distortion is not from the AKM AK4490 DAC since the THD increased as we changed the output level from 2VRMS to 4VRMS with the volume control.
It is possible the HDAM discrete circuits past the new analog ICs are the dominant distortion source. The only way to find out is to open up the case and start probing internal boards which is not something we do here at Secrets.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did I see it mentioned that the slimline marantz models don’t have HDAM? Would that mean they might measure more like the Denon’s?

Yes, I mentioned that, it is a fact as I have seen the block diagrams. The signal path from preamp input to power amp input looks identical to Denon's, so it should measure like a Denon except the DAC reconstruction filter curve.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So this specific sample is not representative of a normal, stock version of the NAD 2200. I have seen some old, not as old as the 2200, NAD amp that measured 50% over its specified output, but at 1% THD. I have never seen any NAD, or any unmodified amp measured more than 2X its rated output at low THD, or even 0.1%. Some amp can double down from 8 to 4 ohms, but not double in terms of measured vs specified, otherwise NAD would have specified quite bit more than 100 W, like 150 W, if not outright 230 W right?

I have a 2200 and I have measured the same power. Mine is standard apart from the input OPAMPS which have been removed.

Changing a few caps etc. is NOT going to change the power output!!!

Here's another tested on Youtube. These amps REALLY DO perform way above spec.

1594494819207.png

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I mentioned that, it is a fact as I have seen the block diagrams. The signal path from preamp input to power amp input looks identical to Denon's, so it should measure like a Denon except the DAC reconstruction filter curve.
Thanks. It would be interesting to get a slimline to measure. They are a nice form factor being smaller for living rooms, etc.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I must say, as iconic as the round display is, coming from testing the Denon AVR-X4700H, it was a big step backward. It is so small and shows so little information. It is clearly form over function.

I had never thought about the "round display" as an icon until you mentioned this, @amirm :) Silly me.
Iconic it is, but it's about as meaningful in 2020 for "Marantz" as were Buick's "Ventiports" (portholes) in the 1950s (and '60s... and even '70s). :(

1594499071855.png

(not mine, unfortunately -- besides, I'd need two for stereo)

Talk about timeless aesthetics. :)

Vasr

Major Contributor
Thanks. It would be interesting to get a slimline to measure. They are a nice form factor being smaller for living rooms, etc.

+1.

But last time I looked at these units from Marantz, they seemed intentionally crippled to keep prices low and not compete with SR lines. They all seemed to have much lower component grade selection from connectors to power supplies to electronic components. Under-powered amps. So, I am not sure how they would actually measure. Marantz was the only one that gave L and R pre-outs in addition to sub out if you wanted a more powerful amp for the mains. Rest were sub out only. So I gave up on them.

Things may have changed recently. Haven't looked.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 2200 and I have measured the same power. Mine is standard apart from the input OPAMPS which have been removed.

Changing a few caps etc. is NOT going to change the power output!!!

Here's another tested on Youtube. These amps REALLY DO perform way above spec.

View attachment 72884

I only trust ASR, AH, Stereophile that kind of bench test measurements. If you are okay with those you found on You-tubes, that's up to you, as they say ymmv.

NAD is known for emphasizing their high output in short term burst/IHF dynamic outputs, that most decent class AB amps can do that too but they typically wouldn't go as high and they tend not to emphasize IHF power rating as much. The 100 W rating I am talking about is sustained continouous output, in that sense, NAD rated the amp only 100 W into 8 ohms for good reason and you obviously know that if you own one and has a copy of the brochure and owner's manual. You also must know that the spec's 0.7 V input sensitivity is based on the rated 100 V into 8 ohms, not the much higher so called IHF dynamic power rating.

As for the potential effects of the mod the user have done, I would agree if the gentlemen only did a recap using the same capacitance and same rated voltage, then the rated output shouldn't change, but we really don't know exactly what he did, Amir apparently has a list but we don't know what's on it.

Anyway, back to the power output specs, below is directly from NAD's own document, you can see that they are not talking about "continuous output" for the big numbers, but music power, short burst dynamic output for 20 ms, 200 ms etc. That's the well known NAD's marketing hypes. Not that they are not valid, but you have read the fine prints.

Regardless, your original point is about needing only 1 V or so. Do you now agree, if you want to take advantage of amps like this NAD that brags about the very high dynamic power output, you are going to need quite a bit more than 1 V, even with gain as high as 32 dB, if you intend to put that short term capability to use? If you agree then its settle, that is 2 V is a much better bar to clear and hence we should support ASR's standard test of preamp up to the 2 V level, in order to have options to drive high power amps with moderate gain. If you still maintain 1 to 1.2 V is all is needed, then we can agree to disagree and just move on because then I think it would defy logic.

Sorry about the huge font size. I can't change anything, its from an old pdf doc that is Googleable.

1594502855543.png

1594502814306.png

1594502926040.png

1594503083613.png

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Good for small/medium size bedrooms too.:D Nice form factor = nice WAF too..

ace_xp2

The AD-1 amp dyno is comparatively a simple instrument, but given it's primary function of rating Subwoofer amplifiers, it's rated power is highly unlikely to under deliver on any musical passage. The amp dyno also does burst, which was done in that very video and showed another ~150wpc on the NAD 2200.

Indeed PENG, your own clipped quote claims that the amp levels out between "100 and 200 watts " once it's fed a constant test tone. Given that this was what you quoted, why would you then question that it can perform at the 200 end of the spectrum they claim?

rxp

Yes, actually if you use 7.1 ch analog inputs, there is no option for the signal to get digitized. I have not used 7.1 ch analog input for ages so I don't remember much about it but I don't think you can even select any mode. If you press pure direct it would turn the display off, that's about it. With that input, your source player is in control.

Thanks for confirming Peng, I suspected as much.

I've come to the realisation that I can't use any external DAC to help improve the SINAD for testing purposes because I need crossovers and bass management. I have a mini DSP HD, but that'll only sort the subs out. So while you can get an improvement in SINAD you'll lose things that are for sure audible for improving the sound - bass management, bass correction and audio processing/upmixing.

If I had to buy my AVR's again they'd be Denon for sure. I only went for Marantz because I believed it was identical at a much lower price point but now they're in I am not faffing around with all that wiring and setup again!

Gedeon

Forum Donor
if you want to take advantage of amps like this NAD that brags about the very high dynamic power output, you are going to need quite a bit more than 1 V, even with gain as high as 32 dB

I can't agree with that.

The volume/voltage of the pre-outs sets indeed a voltage upper limit. No dynamic of burst coming from the source would surpass the voltage selected through the volume control. And the power amp (usually fixed) gain multiplies that voltage.

Those peak watts are mainly related to the power-amp ability to drive low impedance speakers in specific frequency ranges (the lower ones in most cases) which eventually could even go below 4ohms, even 2ohms. Going from 4ohm to 2ohms will demand to the amplifier double watts for the same voltage level.

Watts = ( Volts * Volts ) / Ohms

So to make use of the full/burst potential watts of a moderate to high gain amplifier, even when listening at high domestic SPL most setups certainly doesn't need more than 1.2v. That would depend on the power amp gain and speakers impedance and sensivity. Obviously very low sensivity speakers (less than 87dbs) could demand to the user to raise the volume level to reach the same SPL than with other ones.

Last edited:

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I only trust ASR, AH, Stereophile that kind of bench test measurements. If you are okay with those you found on You-tubes, that's up to you, as they say ymmv.

<SIGH> You're just not getting it are you...

Like I said I have measured my own NAD2200 and achieved the same power output as Amir did

If that isn't enough proof for you then I'm at a loss.

As for the Youtube video - if you doubt the results measured by a device costing $3.5k then perhaps you should take up baking or something...

https://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-amp-dyno-ad-1.html

You even managed to contradict yourself in your previous post, so my guess is you are arguing for the sake of it.

This is my last post on this subject, as I have a life to live.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..]
To me, if you add a buffer amp stage right before the power amp input and that buffer (HDAM in this case) has many parts on board including 10 transistors, you can expect add distortions and noises, period.
Yes and no:
  • Yes, adding a buffer stage increases noise and distortion.
  • No regarding distortion, if without this buffer the preceeding stage would distort more due to the higher load.
Also one has to keep in mind that throwing more transistors into a buffer usually
  • decreases distortion
  • increases output drive capability
  • increases noise.
So you have to weight whether you need a buffer in the first place, and then how many transistors you need to use.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The AD-1 amp dyno is comparatively a simple instrument, but given it's primary function of rating Subwoofer amplifiers, it's rated power is highly unlikely to under deliver on any musical passage. The amp dyno also does burst, which was done in that very video and showed another ~150wpc on the NAD 2200.

Indeed PENG, your own clipped quote claims that the amp levels out between "100 and 200 watts " once it's fed a constant test tone. Given that this was what you quoted, why would you then question that it can perform at the 200 end of the spectrum they claim?

I wasn't questioning the 200 W output into 8 ohm as it was demonstrated in the ASR review too. I was wondering if the mod has done something to it. If the mod only involved replacing the old caps with new ones of the same specs than it wouldn't matter, but if the new caps have say a higher voltage rating then the mod'ed amp would have done better with the ITH measurements.

It is the ITH output that the 2200 (most NAD amps I would think) are excellent at, right?

Anyway, my key point is about audio_tony's post#23, he said:

"Most power amps I've used over the years are rated for full power either at 0.775V or 1V"

then Simple Theater asked him what those amps were and he listed 6 of them, of the 6, the 2200 indeed has input sensitivity spec of 0.7 V, even much better than the 1 V he thought it was.

Then I pointed out the following:

- 0.7 V was for 100 W output into 8 ohm, for 200 W it would have required a little more than 1 V, I thought that's it but then he claimed the 2200 was rated 140 WX2, and I told him (post#132 already) that was at clipping, not at the rated 0.03% THD

There are just too many back and forth so unless you follow all of them, like Simple Theater and I because we were responding to his claims, you may not have the full picture.

Here's a summary of the back and forth, I hope you can see why we seem to be still arguing (hat that term, but it is becoming to look like that..):

Claimed by the OP in his first post#23:
1) most power amps used are rated for full power either at 0.775V or 1V (that clearly reference to ASR's 2 V base line for pre out measurements).
2) Simple Theater asked what those amps were
3) OP responded with 6 examples, further claimed there were many more amps that would support his claim.
4) I pointed out (post#99) if those amps were rated around the 100 W, 1 V okay, but for 250 W and higher amps, higher would be needed.
5) OP responded (post#120) that the 2200 was rated 140 W and measured over 200 W at ASR
6) I clarified that NAD specs (post#132), stated that 140 W was at clipping, and for 140 W or 200 W, then 0.7V won't do it, need higher V anyway.

It was after post#132 that he started trying to stick with the 2200's >200 W output, and I simply want to emphasize what the NAD could do on the bench based on higher THD level such as 1%, or on non continuous average output power, such as the short burst, IHF dynamic power, has nothing to do with our original discussion on how true, or whether it is realistic to expect that 0.775 or 1 V was enough to drive amps to "full power", that the OP implied in his post#23.

So at that point, I think we were done with his need of only 0.775 to 1 V claim based on most amps he had used. I am not even disagreeing, because he would be right for a lot of amps rated around the 100 WPC continuous rated at reasonable low, say based on the NAD example of -70 dB THD but I highlighted that most AVR users would likely pair their unit with higher power amps, like 200 WPC ore more.

==============================================================================================

Below has little to do with the original topic, and is just a recap of the out of scope discussion. That is, we have already digressed into a new topic, and it has become the output power rating, using the 2200 as the focal point.

Still, now that I provided the full picture of how it got started, you can see that I was also not questioning the Dyno test though I did say I only trust the likes of the Stereophile, AH, ASR kind of bench tests) the measured 200 W (or higher..). Reason being they have more detailed measurements, using the highly regarded AP instrument and operated by very experienced individuals such as JA, and/or EE with related experience from their previous employments.

On this new topic, my points are:

a) the amp is in fact rated only 100 W continuous 0.03% THD, the higher ratings as confirmed on various benches I supposed, were measured under certain conditions, one example would be the IHF standard, another example would be if based on <1% THD (that's just -40 dB)
b) that if one wants to take advantage of the excellent short burst capability of that Amp, that is, based on the IHF ratings, one would need more than the 0.7 V NAD specified for the rated output of just 100 W at 0.03% THD. Note: About 1.43 V for 400 W (again IHF only).
c) As I mentioned in my last post, when considering the IHF ratings (I shouldn't have used the term marketing hype there..), one has to be careful, not that they are not valid, but you have read the fine prints.

Also note that 0.03% is about -70.45 dB so SINAD would have been about 70 dB assuming noise is not much of an issue with this amp. So we are to compare apples to apples, say with the SR6014, we do have to base on the "continuous output, 20-20,000 Hz so in that case the NAD 2200 is rated 100 W per NAD specs.

Based on Amir's measurements, NAD's spec for this amp is very conservative, assuming an unmodified version would measured equally good on the ASR bench. Again, not questioning, but we should compare apples to apples, 100 W continuous at 0.03% (SINAD 70) is not the same as 230 W at 1% (-40 dB) in the Dyno test.

No doubt the NAD 2200 is a very good power amp, I have said so in my responses to him but then again we would have digressed from the original topic of input sensitivity vs whether ASR's baseline of 2 V/4 V (RCA/XLR) pre-out voltage is appropriate. I am saying it is very appropriate, based on the fact there are far more power amps rated 200 WPC (continuous rating) into 8 ohms have gain less than the NAD 2200's 32 dB.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
<SIGH> You're just not getting it are you...

Like I said I have measured my own NAD2200 and achieved the same power output as Amir did

If that isn't enough proof for you then I'm at a loss.

As for the Youtube video - if you doubt the results measured by a device costing $3.5k then perhaps you should take up baking or something...

https://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-amp-dyno-ad-1.html

You even managed to contradict yourself in your previous post, so my guess is you are arguing for the sake of it.

This is my last post on this subject, as I have a life to live.

Yes that is enough proof, but I think you are missing the points I made. If you don't mind, my last post may satisfy you, sorry it is long but I wanted to capture all the key points so you can clearly see my points. We are not disagreeing, we are just perhaps not focusing on the points each tried to make. So may be my long post would make it worse, hopefully not..

Top Bottom