• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SACD 30n Measurements (SACD Player, DAC & Streamer)

Dogen

Forum Donor
I feel like I'm sh_tting on the parade, but a $3000 SACD player that can't do multichannel with at best inaudible improvements over a few hundred dollar Sony Blu ray. Would it have hurt them to at least had an HDMI out on this piece of audio jewelry?
Yeah, what’s the point of SACD for two channels? I guess there are a few non-hybrid discs out there, but this is a huge limitation at the price. Nevertheless, this does measure well and has some nice features.

m8o

Forum Donor
Great review, thanks!

And whatever you do, DON'T change the psychedelic colours. Ignore the naysayers. I absolutely love it!

..and it brings back memories....:cool:;)
I agree. Creative Lighting == Goodness.

Reactions: EJ3

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First, nice review!

I’ve eyed this unit a few times, as currently I’m running all discrete components—a Zen Stream network streamer, a Topping D90se DAC, and an Oppo UDP-203 SACD player that I’ve modded to a transport (in that I added an IIS hardware mod that bypasses Oppo’s internal DAC and passes the digital stream on to my Topping to decode).

And although an integrated option would be a bit tidier, the Marantz is equally limited to 2 channels, doesn’t allow you to rip your physical media, downsamples the SACD signal when attached to external DACs (per Sony’s DRM licensing restrictions), and isn’t Roon Ready like the ZS (which costs $399 and supports native DSD up to 256). It’s “Roon Tested”, which is ok, but if it doesn’t support Roon’s RAAT transport protocol that would be less than ideal. Perhaps someone owns one on here and can comment further on that.

I get what niche Marantz is targeting here, as combo streamer/DAC/SACD option. But the thing is that my setup is working great at a considerably lower price, and at least as my Topping DAC is concerned, with superior measurements. Even if I use my less inexpensive Sony SACD player and an HDMI audio extractor to pass on the digital stream to my Topping via coax, I’m not sure the SACD playback quality would be any less than what Marantz offers here—I can play back my SACDs at PCM 176.4 on my Topping this way and it sounds fantastic. Perhaps I should submit one of these extractors to @amirm to put my claims to the test?

stvnharr

Hi,
Well I thought that the Marantz Musical Mastering was the conversion to Quad DSD and low pass filtering to analog, which was introduced in the SA-10. I guess MMM means something else.

The SA-11S3 uses the BB chip as I noted in my first post.
Below link is from Marantz and the other is copied from Music Direct.

Asynchronous 24-Bit USB DAC, Burr-Brown 1792A DAC Chip for PCM and DSD Decoding, and 8x Oversampling Digital Filter​

An instant legend, the 40-pound Marantz SA-11S3 Reference SACD/CD player builds upon the internationally acclaimed SA-11S2 with state-of-the-art improvements. Marantz adds an asynchronous USB DAC with 24-bit/192kHz decoding, Burr-Brown PCM 1792A DAC chip for PCM and DSD decoding, digital filter with 8x oversampling, upgraded transport mechanism, and an enhanced HDAM-SA2 analog output stage to what was already the gold-standard digital player. Did we mention the SA-11S3 backs up its talk with a five-year warranty? A nonpareil component with nonpareil sound, and backed by our own Money-Back Guarantee, SA-11S3 is the platinum-standard of SACD/CD players.

Cheers, Steve

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

morillon

Major Contributor
"House sound", AKA coloration.

What @pkane said. It is absolutely included in the test tone.
And yes, it is a 24bits J-test.

thank you
I admit, only in jitter-num, I don't really understand the face of your screenshot....
there is such a level of noise that we cannot grasp any details even if the values given are of course significant...
somewhere you detail your material methods etc?
thank you for your enlightenment
;-)
a modest capture of a modest wiim: fft 262k kaiser12, j-test 48-24bit , toslink :
:oops:
not for the result because an acquisition card of almost 15 years ... but for readability ;-)
i just want learning:oops:
(https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1159564)

Attachments

• capture fft 262k jtest 48k24bits.PNG
    capture fft 262k jtest 48k24bits.PNG
    50.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Itisawesome

Hi Vintage Flanker,
Thanks so much for the review.
This is the first post Ken Ishiwata Marantz product. I have the swansong unit, the Ruby player.
One thing though minor, the Marantz MMM system first came with the SA-10 player. The SA-11S3 player uses the Burr Brown DSD1792A dac chip.
Folks always go on about price of units, and well.............Marantz has different pricing in different marketing regions. The US is always cheapest, with highest sales volume I assume, and Australia has the highest price and lowest sales volume. Thus this player is $3k in US and $6K in Australia, where I live.
Players may be so "Yesterday" but if one has a large disc collection and wants to play the discs, these Marantz players are good. I really like my Ruby player, and I run it in to a Starkrimson Ultra - great music playback.
I see 5K RRP pricing in Australia. I’d prefer a network player without sacd…

Sanlitun

Curious how similar this is to the Sony TA-ZH1ES which also upsamples to DSD in a proprietary manner.

Last edited:

SoundsGood2Me

Forum Donor
For some reason, SACD/DSD still fascinate me. Has anyone come across a deep dive techincial review of the format and whether or not it has any real benefit (or fault) over PCM?
Historically DACs have outperformed ADCs, and DSD was an attempt to get ahead of the curve.
Made possible thru math!
God Bless Sony/Philips!!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Philips Hue spots in the dark + Google Pixel Night Mode combo. 100% poor DIY photography.:cool:
I don't know why but I feel extra proud of my product photos using an entry-level Nikon DSLR + kit lens, cheap light tent, flimsy tripod, plain light stands and hand picked cheap LED bulbs. Some Photoshop editing and that's it.

High end gear is already expected to get excellent results, but for me it is specifically gratifying squeezing every drop of performance from low end gear. :)

(back to the topic)

confucius_zero

Darn impressed by Marantz. I'm curious to see their new amp measurements :D

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Darn impressed by Marantz. I'm curious to see their new amp measurements :D
Sure, but man that price! The streamer in the device is a bit underwhelming—I would expect it to at least be Roon Ready. And I wish they had added a hard drive to burn CDs. SACD players can be bought for $200-300 bucks these days, and obviously there are plenty of better performing DACs that cost a fraction of this. Doesn’t it seem like a hefty amount to ask given the limitations?

GWolfman

Forum Donor
You are on a roll. :) Promoted to home page.

P.S. If I wear the old red/green glasses, would the images show up in 3-D??? :)
I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately it makes reading the back of the unit difficult (in the pictures). Otherwise, looks great! Thanks.

valerianf

Excellent product for SACD addicted audiophiles.
Could the same R&D engineer team develop an AVR?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The device is on the market since late 2000. If that update hasn't appeared yet, it probably never will.
The device is only 18 months old. A company as big as this one is able to provide support for longer than that. As said, I had the Denon & Marantz European Trainer on the phone, prior to post this review, that confirmed me that Roon Ready update is still planned (as is Qobuz Connect, for that matter). Hope they will release it for real...

jbrown

Forum Donor
LOL, great review, thanks. I have to ask though, were these pictures taken at a christmas-themed discotheque?

Top Bottom