• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 70 23.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 139 46.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 25.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 4.7%

• Total voters

Russ_L

Forum Donor
SACD. Oppo 205, Oppo 205. Stereo, multichannel, spinning disc or USB input, all the way to DSD 512! Just bend over, drop your pants and pay $2,850 like I did. Terrific machine. Well worth the money. See Amir’s excellent review of the 205.

Russ

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Guy in Canada asking $6,250 for a NIB 205.

Russ

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is just a shame this doesn't have 5.1 channel output for Pink Floyd DSOTM and similar stuff.

As it is, you can get a high end Sony BD player and a Denon AVR with pre outs for less.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Look, if it's genuinely well made internally and uses a quality transport mechanism, it's pretty good value for money for a statement CD/SACD player. The top machines have never been cheap.

My TOTL players from Sony cost nearly $3k, 32 years ago and the best Marantz in my collection was $6k in 1991. Those machines all still function and test perfectly due to their absolute battleship build quality. So 40 pounds (18kg) may mean some thick steel plates to add weight and it may mean uncompromising componentry and build, attention to detail and hopefully (in this case for the reviewed Marantz) longevity.
Agree with John on this one. The objective performance is fine, and if the build quality is good, there is a sort of pride of ownership with the Japanese made stuff still. There stuff from the 80s and into the 90s was hectically overengineered and most of it still works to this day. Someone with this kind of disposable income should not be disappointed with this CD player, at all. Its a bit like a Rolls-Royce - "adequate".

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the many reasons listed above I voted "poor."

Just don't see the point of this thing. Anyone who owns SACDs would be best advised to purchase high quality downloads to replace that content. Unlike turntables, there's no magic tactile thrill associated with CDs.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an old Sherwood SD-860, that I use for the occasional CD/DVD/SACD... It cost about a $100 CAD. I wonder how much worse it is than a $7500 USD SACD player?

aj625

Marantz supposedly upsamples the incoming pcm signal to dsd and then use analog low pass filter. Isn't it ? May be that lends it some sound signature which is perceived as richer by some ?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Marantz supposedly upsamples the incoming pcm signal to dsd and then use analog low pass filter. Isn't it ? May be that lends it some sound signature which is perceived as richer by some ?
Maybe some people just fool themselves, or maybe all that high frequency noise screws up the speaker's performance.

vkhong

I thought the appeal of the SACD format is multi-channel analog information with lower SNR and higher headroom. A high-end CD deck (stereo) makes sense and the SACD compatibility was probably thrown in at the request of the marketing team. Perhaps the strengths of the SA-10 lie in areas of jitter free data retrieval and correction for the CD and SACD formats, or even high-quality direct-to-headphones listening (noticed the phones level control).

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 192282
SGva8yfytubFkpyfKRBEUV-970-80.jpg.webp

View attachment 192283
View attachment 192284
All that copper used in the player has to be very expensive. But . . . why?

aj625

A dac as small as Chord mojo 2 can do wonders at much much lesser price. Reason ? Clean distortion less output.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SACD. Oppo 205, Oppo 205. Stereo, multichannel, spinning disc or USB input, all the way to DSD 512! Just bend over, drop your pants and pay $2,850 like I did. Terrific machine. Well worth the money. See Amir’s excellent review of the 205.

Russ
Jeez. I bought one at cost and thought that was expensive!

aj625

Btw I have seen marantz SA10 go for much lesser price than mrp.

aj625

Some dacs using internal pcm to dsd conversion are Marantz SA10, rockna wave dream and may be PS audio ( if I am correct ). What advantage they get by converting pcm to dsd and then low passing the stream through analog filter ? Other also oversample pcm to multi bit( instead of 1bit dsd) stream but they don't pass the stream through analog filter instead use "switches" to convert stream to analog. Any idea about the differences lent to sound by the two methods ?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Marantz is another brand that just should have been left dead.

aj625

Marantz is another brand that just should have been left dead.
Going on it's past reputation when equipments had more moving parts and heavier construction was considered as a sign of better longevity. These days dacs have no moving parts so don't require that heavier build and chassis but still many audiophiles like big and heavy equipments even if internal area is mostly empty. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the many reasons listed above I voted "poor."

Just don't see the point of this thing. Anyone who owns SACDs would be best advised to purchase high quality downloads to replace that content. Unlike turntables, there's no magic tactile thrill associated with CDs.
Last time I tried a dsd download I just couldn't do much with my internet service at the time (dsl). Now that I've had increased bandwidth have been collecting multich sacds....are there any multich dsd/dsf downloads for multich of legacy content?

Top Bottom