• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 61 21.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 137 49.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 72 25.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters

stvnharr

Hey Snoopy, people who might consider this player do not look at music the way you do. They want to play the disc itself.
But yes, if all one wants to do is rip the file to .dsf then your suggestion is perfect. And people who want to do only that probably already do that.

Scytales

The Denon is a fabulous disc, but it has a greater spray of spikes on its digitally derived 1kHz tracks (track 18,19 & 49) than either the Philips CD3, Sony YEDs or the CBS CD-1 discs. The absolute numbers may not be much different (same focusrite interface, same CD player -Marantz PMD-325 professional), but the picture sure isn't pretty with the Denon test disc on the 1001Hz track... The other two standard test discs give identical results.

Philips No3 test disc, 997Hz 0dBFS:
View attachment 192582

CBS CD-1 997Hz 0dBFS:
View attachment 192586

Denon Test Disc, Track 49 1001Hz 0dBFS:
View attachment 192587

Considering the Denon track is a digitally derived sine, it has a wide skirt around the fundamental and a bunch of spurious junk. The other two (Philips and CBS) are clean.

What this also shows is the 20 year old Marantz 'Professional' player and the low cost Focusrite A/D front end are giving THD figures virtually the same as what the SA-10 achieved. Notice the THD only numbers are excellent.
For the sake of interest (at least mine :) ), how does your best vintage CD players measure with the Denon Audio Technical CD as source signal ?

I have bought this same test-CD and a Boonton 1130 distortion analyzer, and the analyzer tells me my best optical disc player produce 0.0029 to 0.003 % THD+N (depending on the channel under test) at 1 kHz, 0 dBFS, with 30 kHz bandwidth and the RMS detector on the analyzer.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We would need to test lower cost SACD players to see where SA-10 lands.
You may have a look down there...;)

PXL_20220424_121948252.NIG.jpg

stvnharr

Oppo went out of business 4 years ago. However you can find new ones for double, triple, quadruple the original price.

Nutsfortubes

This device the SA-10, I liken it to a Super Bowl ring. They are in the same price range too.
Wrong the rings are $36K

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would think that most of the inexpensive DACs available in the green or blue areas of Amir's charts would perform equal to, if not better than the SA10. However, it was not a poor performer, and is definitely a nice piece of audio jewelry. I most certainly wouldn't mind having one in my rack! :)

It may simply depend on your appetite to add yet another device and handful of cables to your setup though.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Hmm, post removed. I wonder, by whom and why?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

MarcT

Forum Donor
You might link "catch all" Woody,
Not all know what your talkin bout. ;)
Yeah, I looked and didn't see any "catch all" forum.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You might link "catch all" Woody,
Not all know what your talkin bout. ;)

Good idea!

Top Bottom