• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz PM7000N issues.

LReinstein

Hello,
This is my first post as a new member of this forum so I hope I am doing it correctly.
I am a serious music/HiFi listener … mostly classical, jazz, reggae… but not quite at the level of AudioPhile. I very recently replaced my 2 channel Pre-amp (it was a Marantz using a SONOS Connect as a streamer) with a new Marantz PM7000N. It powers 2 KEF XQ40 speakers and feeds dual SVS Subwoofers. I absolutely love the sound and it is definitely a noticeable improvement over the SONOS Connect + moderate priced DAC and my old Integrated Amp. My preferred source of music is Apple Music with its Lossless content.

Here are my concerns and I would appreciate any help or advice.

When using Airplay2 the volume control in the Marantz seems to change with the volume control on the iPad App (eg Apple Music or whatever) that is streaming to it. This should not be a problem EXCEPT that … if the range of volume is 0 - 80 , then 30 is already too loud for the room. Thus it make it difficult to adjust volume since I can only use the first 1/3 of the volume slider on the iPad.

Is this Normal?? I think the Marantz is proper for the speakers it is driving (KEF XQ40’s) . 60 watts per channel from the Amp. Why would this be? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Larry

JRags

Hello,
This is my first post as a new member of this forum so I hope I am doing it correctly.
I am a serious music/HiFi listener … mostly classical, jazz, reggae… but not quite at the level of AudioPhile. I very recently replaced my 2 channel Pre-amp (it was a Marantz using a SONOS Connect as a streamer) with a new Marantz PM7000N. It powers 2 KEF XQ40 speakers and feeds dual SVS Subwoofers. I absolutely love the sound and it is definitely a noticeable improvement over the SONOS Connect + moderate priced DAC and my old Integrated Amp. My preferred source of music is Apple Music with its Lossless content.

Here are my concerns and I would appreciate any help or advice.

When using Airplay2 the volume control in the Marantz seems to change with the volume control on the iPad App (eg Apple Music or whatever) that is streaming to it. This should not be a problem EXCEPT that … if the range of volume is 0 - 80 , then 30 is already too loud for the room. Thus it make it difficult to adjust volume since I can only use the first 1/3 of the volume slider on the iPad.

Is this Normal?? I think the Marantz is proper for the speakers it is driving (KEF XQ40’s) . 60 watts per channel from the Amp. Why would this be? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Larry
Hey Larry I have the same exact problem and question. The volume, when streaming to my Marantz PM7000N via bluetooth, from my iPhone is way too loud. Just a tiny notch up on the iPhone and its way too loud at 30 on the Marantz. I can barley raise it on the iPhone without it becoming extremely loud. I wish someone would have responded to your question.

Last edited:

JRags

Thanks for the info Tabby!
I had the same problem with my PM8500 marantz, I used a RCA Line Level Attenuator Regulators, as this one
Thanks for the info Tabby! Unfortunately for me I'm streaming via bluetooth. Any idea as to why this happens?

jevchance

I had this same issue with HEOS on my PM7000n. It happens because the dial on the Marantz has a lot more resolution than the volume slider on the iPad, which only has like 10 notches so each bump of the volume button is an increase of like 10% on the Marantz. Your only recourse is to use the volume control on your Marantz remote instead of the iPad.

Top Bottom