• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1510 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 221 81.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think anyone with any sense realises that a unit like this cannot approach the purity of a dedicated dac

thats just not really realistic

however on a continuum we shouldnt be ok with bottom of the barrel performance because it does "the lot"

we expect better performance, that's all, something in between, say at least better than average?

we all seen the trend these days and its towards the bottom and this unit is no different

as someone who likes Marantz I expect better and yet, knowing modern Marantz, I expected this result anyway and that's sad

chillwig

haha welp i bought one of these for the form factor and feature set to replace a beloved Yamaha HTR-5450 that lacked HDMI and preamp outs. I guess it sounds fine for watching sports and movies, but i bypass it for my 2.1 audio signal chain for all the obvious reasons. it actually does a decent job of driving my Dynaudio center channel at 4ohm if i dont ask too much from it volume wise. might have distorted on some of those GOALLL calls yesterday. Thanks for humbling my surround rig @amirm

Roland

i think anyone with any sense realises that a unit like this cannot approach the purity of a dedicated dac

thats just not really realistic

however on a continuum we shouldnt be ok with bottom of the barrel performance because it does "the lot"

we expect better performance, that's all, something in between, say at least better than average?

we all seen the trend these days and its towards the bottom and this unit is no different

as someone who likes Marantz I expect better and yet, knowing modern Marantz, I expected this result anyway and that's sad
They can’t all be above average, and why does it matter if nobody can hear the difference?

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is quite an old model. I'd be curious to see how the Cinema 70 fares.

jbattman1016

This device is for setting up a system that fits in a small space for someone that doesn't want to settle for a soundbar. Fast food, yo.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
This device is for setting up a system that fits in a small space for someone that doesn't want to settle for a soundbar. Fast food, yo.
Now that would be a good test. What performs better, a sonos soundbar plus speakers or this marantz plus speakers?

Edit: my money is on the Sonos set

Last edited:

ban25

Now that would be a good test. What performs better, a sonos soundbar plus speakers or this marantz plus speakers?

Having owned a maxed out Sonos HT (Arc, 2 x Sub Gen 3, 2 x Five), I can confidently say this AVR with some decent bookshelves for a 3.1 (not even 5.1) would absolutely demolish the Sonos.

DonR

Major Contributor

The Sonos amps will probably be of similar quality and maybe even lower power. Given the right speakers for the room, I would expect the Marantz setup to win.

RobinOC

I should point out that this is a refurbished unit for $444. I had mentioned this to @amirm, but that was back in July when we first started discussing reviewing it, but that fact didn't make it into the review. I use it for occasional bedroom TV in a TV hutch, so the size is really important, so I'll likely keep it.
Was this a factory refurbish? I've bought both factory and 3rd party refurbs. Factory is usually much better and they bring the unit back to original specs. 3rd party refurbs can be hit or miss depending on the company.

jbattman1016

I should point out that this is a refurbished unit for $444. I had mentioned this to @amirm, but that was back in July when we first started discussing reviewing it, but that fact didn't make it into the review. I use it for occasional bedroom TV in a TV hutch, so the size is really important, so I'll likely keep it.
I think that's a great price for something like this

Hart

I have the Marantz 1710, I was thinking the same thing; but this thing really sucks... Because of this website I have gotten rid of a Sunfire Signature Cinema Grand, a Carver 1.0M, and now my Marantz 1710 is heading to Craigslist. Going to look for a Denon AVR.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Marantz 1710, I was thinking the same thing; but this thing really sucks... Because of this website I have gotten rid of a Sunfire Signature Cinema Grand, a Carver 1.0M, and now my Marantz 1710 is heading to Craigslist. Going to look for a Denon AVR.
How does the 1710 suck? Sure it has jitter and slow DAC filter but is it audible?

Hart

How does the 1710 suck? Sure it has jitter and slow DAC filter but is it audible?
Why do I want to keep one of the worst tested AVR's when I can get something much much better? I am not sure if it is audible, but I am sure with something better I don't have to worry that it is or not.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do I want to keep one of the worst tested AVR's when I can get something much much better? I am not sure if it is audible, but I am sure with something better I don't have to worry that it is or not.
I am not sure that the 1710 measures as the 1510 that Amir measured with respect to THD. Are you sure?

There are two other measurements, one NR1710 and one NR1608, with around 25-30 dB lower distortion.

Roland

If all dacs and amps have no “sound” as such, it implies that the measurements are largely spurious, so why make buying decisions based on worries about whether or not they may or may not be audible? It looks as irrational as a belief in snake oil audio cables.

I have an NR 1508 with a tv as source and in a bedroom with small bookshelf speakers it does an excellent job (and has done for 10 years or so). If a Denon in some way reduced my worry levels, I suppose replacing it could be justified, but it wouldn’t be on the rational basis of sound reproduction.

DonR

Major Contributor
If all dacs and amps have no “sound” as such, it implies that the measurements are largely spurious, so why make buying decisions based on worries about whether or not they may or may not be audible? It looks as irrational as a belief in snake oil audio cables.

I have an NR 1508 with a tv as source and in a bedroom with small bookshelf speakers it does an excellent job (and has done for 10 years or so). If a Denon in some way reduced my worry levels, I suppose replacing it could be justified, but it wouldn’t be on the rational basis of sound reproduction.
I agree that inside their operating envelope they sound just as good as any other AVR with identical features.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The point is also to make judgements of other amplifiers. The analogue amp of NR1608 was measured with THD -92 dB and noise of -103 dB at 5W. The analogue pre output of the NR1710 had THD of -100 dB or lower. I have no idea why the NR1510 in this test shows way more THD. But clearly the various results require explanation, as this is ASR.

SuicideSquid

Why worry at all?

SuicideSquid

okay Alfred E. Neuman
If you had not read this review (of a different receiver lets remember), would you have felt compelled to replace your 1710?

You're posting about all the gear you're getting rid of because of mixed reviews on ASR. Why? If you were happy with it before the review, why should Amir measuring higher-than-average SINAD change your opinion at all? Especially since most of this stuff is completely inaudible in normal use and it's really just about appreciating engineering excellence.

So again, why worry?

Top Bottom