• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1509 upgrade suggestions

Gurmukh

Hey all!

Around 2 years ago I bought a Marantz NR1509 to go with 2 X Kef Q150's in a 2.0 setup.

I've no desire to get a sub or surround because these two speakers sound great for everyday listening.

Unfortunately, the bass on the speakers is really intense. The room correction does a great job and the sound is amazing but way too bassy. I've tried to reduce the bass under tone and played with some of the mdax / dynamic EQ settings but the only thing that's worked is adding dampeners inside the speakers.

Is there a better amp I can get that provides clearer sound with minimal bass?

A bizarre request I'm sure :)

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tried plugging the ports on the Kefs with some foam inserts?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all!

Around 2 years ago I bought a Marantz NR1509 to go with 2 X Kef Q150's in a 2.0 setup.

I've no desire to get a sub or surround because these two speakers sound great for everyday listening.

Unfortunately, the bass on the speakers is really intense. The room correction does a great job and the sound is amazing but way too bassy. I've tried to reduce the bass under tone and played with some of the mdax / dynamic EQ settings but the only thing that's worked is adding dampeners inside the speakers.

Is there a better amp I can get that provides clearer sound with minimal bass?

A bizarre request I'm sure :)

Did you have DEQ "On"?

OP
G

Gurmukh

Tried plugging the ports on the Kefs with some foam inserts?

Yeah, that's what I meant by "dampeners". They reduced the bass significantly but also deteriorated the sound a fair bit.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've tried both. On is definitely more bassy but off is still quite punchy.

If you have the luxury to move the sub around you may be able to get it less "bassy". Too bad the 1509 probably is not compatible with the Editor App, otherwise you can definitely customize the target curve to your taste. May be trade it in for the 1607, 09, 10.. The 1607 can use the App so I assume (but need to double check) the 1609 and 1610 can too.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have any flexibility in repositioning the speakers, as in, moving them away from the walls?

OP
G

Gurmukh

Do you have any flexibility in repositioning the speakers, as in, moving them away from the walls?

They are around 15cm from the wall right now, they could be moved another 5cm away. Would that reduce the bass?

OP
G

Gurmukh

If you have the luxury to move the sub around you may be able to get it less "bassy". Too bad the 1509 probably is not compatible with the Editor App, otherwise you can definitely customize the target curve to your taste. May be trade it in for the 1607, 09, 10.. The 1607 can use the App so I assume (but need to double check) the 1609 and 1610 can too.
Oh nice! I didn't know about the app, do you know if any of the slimline AVRs support the editor app? The one I purchased was supposed to but that was a mistake on the marketing materials :(

I don't have a sub, just 2 speakers.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are around 15cm from the wall right now, they could be moved another 5cm away. Would that reduce the bass?

Would definitely be the first thing I'd try. 5cm might not make too much of a difference though.

Have you taken measurements of the in-room response? I doubt those speakers are bass-heavy (they are too small to be), so the more likely explanation is that a severe room mode is being excited and this is overpowering the sound.

What room correction are you using?

SMc

Oh nice! I didn't know about the app, do you know if any of the slimline AVRs support the editor app? The one I purchased was supposed to but that was a mistake on the marketing materials :(

I don't have a sub, just 2 speakers.
How is the manual eq?

OP
G

Gurmukh

Would definitely be the first thing I'd try. 5cm might not make too much of a difference though.

Have you taken measurements of the in-room response? I doubt those speakers are bass-heavy (they are too small to be), so the more likely explanation is that a severe room mode is being excited and this is overpowering the sound.

What room correction are you using?

Using Audyssey and unfortunately the receiver isn't compatible with the MultiEq app

Top Bottom