• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Model 30

Stoned1977

Hello, new to the forum and loving all the info.

Has anyone used the model 30 with Klipsch cornwall Iv's?

Thanx

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I think the products will look better in the flesh. Marantz generally don't screw up styling.

PS The hipster video ad for it is just garbage.
Except their AVR's are really ugly. But apart from that is usually looks ok. I have to say this looks better than what I'm used to from Marantz though.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Actually the Marantz Model 30 implementation of the NC500 OEM modules lowered their SINAD to about 75 according to Stereophile's measurements, which is a shame, since a top implementation such as Vera Audio P400/1000 of the same modules has SINAD about 101...

I suspect the decreased SINAD comes from the power supply noise at -75dB as can be seen in Fig. 4, and probably caused by the linear power supply toroid in the middle, even shielded with the steel cup.

View attachment 144773

https://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-model-30-integrated-amplifier-measurements

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-class-d-amp-build-quality.9895/#post-274364
Is it me or is it also a very small linear power supply for amount of power NC500's can put out?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it me or is it also a very small linear power supply for amount of power NC500's can put out?
I think the linear power supply is for the low powered parts of the amplifier such as pre-amp, electronics, etc.
The 2 NCore modules (top center) are powered by the Hypex power supply (top left).

model30.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the linear power supply is for the low powered parts of the amplifier such as pre-amp, electronics, etc.
The 2 NCore modules (top center) are powered by the Hypex power supply (top left).
Correct.

There's one Hypex SMPS600 for both NC500 OEM. Still underpowered.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s just the typical Marantz distortion factory HDAM saus. Just look at that barrage of transistors on the right hand side.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

View attachment 153540
Oh jeez, I'm blind. But its still not very big. Each of my NC400's has one of those?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh jeez, I'm blind. But its still not very big. Each of my NC400's has one of those?
Yes. And the problem is that the NC500 module draws up to 700W in 4 ohms each, that is 1.400W for the pair, and the Model 30 power supply is 600W only... That is why VintageFlanker mentioned the modules are underpowered.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have a cosmetically poor, but electronically excellent Kenwood L-08C and L-08M pair in a mythical 110-220V configuration. Surprisingly, if I put my ear to a high efficiency tweeter, I can tell that the SNR is not as good as my Accuphase setup. At the listening position, I don’t hear any noise.

Kenwood was a big proponent of variable loudness and they actually had two dials to control the loudness; the frequency and the strength.[/QUOTE]

Kenwood (mostly thought of as not high end) made a # of products that were close to being high end (and probably a few that were, in fact, high end [with a few low cost modifications] if you were not name brand conscious). And they were innovative, such as the two dials to control the loudness (a sort of BASS BOOST Parametric EQ, if I remember correctly)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. And the problem is that the NC500 module draws up to 700W in 4 ohms each, that is 1.400W, and the Model 30 power supply is 600W only... That is why VintageFlanker mentioned the modules are underpowered.

The Marantz spec is just 2x200W@4R. The PSU should be fine for that. Still, for that kind of money.. why skimp on the PSU.. Hypex has a 1200W version available, there is enough room, cost will not be very much more. They could have traded for some of those HDAM transistors ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At that price plastic is not ok IMO. I do not like the design anyways, Marantz can do better in that matter.
Saul Marantz had much more expertise than to make things that had the (lack of performance, look & feel) than these new Marantz products have.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Marantz spec is just 2x200W@4R. The PSU should be fine for that. Still, for that kind of money.. why skimp on the PSU.. Hypex has a 1200W version available, there is enough room, cost will not be very much more. They could have traded for some of those HDAM transistors ;)
Yes, that is the point. Marantz used a severely undersized power supply and choke the modules, and they specified the output power correctly then. Maybe it is not to cannibalize their more expensive PM10, also based on NC500?

Luisinky

Recently auditioned the new Model 30. It sounds like it belongs in the Marantz reference line. I could not find fault sonically (speakers: Monitor Audio Platinum PL500 II). Construction was solid as hell. The front is plastic, yes, but it has no give to it when pressed, and when you tap the front it feels and sounds like a solid hunk of material. I'd say the build quality feels like a significant step up from the PM8006. For the price point and what you get I think I'm prepared to forgive the plastic without reservation. A great sounding, great looking piece from Marantz with great ergonomics.
I purchased one with Revel performa3 f208's and a bluesound node. I enjoy the setup and the Marantz 30 is a great combination with Revel speakers. I don't find the plastic detracts from appearance or performance and would purchase again. As it should be, I made my decision on what my ears liked and considered some of the reviews and personal testimonials to guide me to the Model 30. I don't get hung up on something like a piece of plastic, especially considering the deal I was offered.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased one with Revel performa3 f208's and a bluesound node. I enjoy the setup and the Marantz 30 is a great combination with Revel speakers. I don't find the plastic detracts from appearance or performance and would purchase again. As it should be, I made my decision on what my ears liked and considered some of the reviews and personal testimonials to guide me to the Model 30. I don't get hung up on something like a piece of plastic, especially considering the deal I was offered.
For me, plastic is not a problem, UNLESS it looks cheap and/or feels cheap and/or makes cheap noises (perhaps vibrations).

Luisinky

In person the amp is very solidly constructed and the plastic front in question does not look cheap. To be honest, I would likely not have known if not pointed out. The look, finish, fit, and feel of the controls is superb. The sound is what sold me. I enjoy the combination with the Revel speakers, very neutral with good bass control. I am over aggressive sounding speakers or amps...my preference now that I am in my 60's.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The sound is what sold me. I enjoy the combination with the Revel speakers, very neutral with good bass control.
I imagine the sound you hear is attributable to the Revel's. At this pricing level the Marantz should be fully transparent though without getting one on Amir's bench we'll never know for sure.

Luisinky

In person the amp is very solidly constructed and the plastic front in question does not look cheap. To be honest, I would likely not have known if not pointed out. The look, finish, fit, and feel of the controls is superb. The sound is what sold me. I enjoy the combination with the Revel speakers, very neutral with good bass control. I am over aggressive sounding speakers or amps...my preference now that I am in my 60's.

Luisinky

You are 100% correct in theory. The straight wire amplification philosophy would really negate the sonic differences between manufacturers, but it seems that the myriad of possible differences in design or quality of components have an influence in sonic characteristics and impart a desired signature.

Top Bottom